You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Ikariam.org. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Pi: Sharpe12 [XIP]

Saturday, January 21st 2017, 11:04pm

God, your inaugurations are so Religious. ;)

I'm not sure the system is fair though, 3million votes are a lot of votes.
Heathen

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 12:12am

Said the man from the Kingdom with a House of Lords, 26 members of which are the Archbishops and Bishops of the Church of England. To say nothing of the Coronation: Oaths, Anointing, Investment, Crowning, Homage. (The latter reminds me of The Godfather.)

The system is the system. Electors are allocated by senator (2/state) and representative (based on citizen population) count. People vote for Electors, Electors vote for the President. It's a (perhaps no longer needed) compromise between Congress voting for the President, and direct election by the people.

Yes, 3 million is about 2% of the eligible voters. Approximately 40% of the eligible voters didn't vote. I wonder how many didn't bother, due to the incessant news reporting that Ms. Clinton was going to win, and if that would have made any difference either way.
God, your inaugurations are so Religious. ;)

I'm not sure the system is fair though, 3million votes are a lot of votes.
Why do I feel like I'm feeding a troll?

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 9:27am

Fair point.

But you can't deny despite you're separation of church and state and how ours is connected, in your country religion plays a far more powerful role in politics.
Heathen

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 2:18pm

I think religion plays a greater role in everything in this county: charitable giving (both government & individual), the writing of ordinances & laws (prohibitions on some activities near places of worship), names of cities (St. Paul, St. Augustine) & sports teams (Angels, Saints).

Remember, the country was partly founded by people looking to escape religious persecution in your nation.

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 8:28pm

It was founded because you didn't like taxes, then you taxed it to a greater extent.
Heathen

Kaleg Nar

Elite Professional Spammer and Spreader of COOKSOC

• "Kaleg Nar" is male

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 8:39pm

Nice sig, nemenku. It's inspired. You might be feeding the troll, but sometimes the fatted calf is best for dinner. ; )

I think part of the religious influence is because of what kind it is. We have a lot more Bible Churches in America than Europe I'd imagine considering how there's no set American Christian. (Compared to other countries you can associate a belief. Examples are England:CofE, Poland: Catholic, ect.) So it's more likely for a discussion to be not clarifying within a denomination, but debating dogma between denominations.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
:xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 10:21pm

It wasn't taxation, it was taxation without representation. I think I could draw a direct comparison to the "Brexit" vote.

It's difficult to compare taxation rates between the UK and USA, but looking the numbers, it appears that the median individual aggregate tax burden (I don't think anyone's ever called it a tax joy) is about the same. (Sounds to me like a project for someone enrolled in an economics class. Those days are behind me ...)

I believe that for the most part, people in the USA like our system of government. And, we like to complain about the taxes collected to pay for it. It's sort of a semi-official past-time. And, we're probably not much different from people in the UK.
It was founded because you didn't like taxes, then you taxed it to a greater extent.

That was just a tagline for that specific message. My actual sig is a puzzle within a mystery, and a double-joke. (hint: steganography)
Nice sig, nemenku. It's inspired.

Some of the original colonies (such as South Carolina, where I live) had "established" churches, which were supported by direct taxation of the citizens, whether they were members or not. (Some of the reasoning for that was that the established church was required to support the poor.) Most of the individual states had abolished this practice by the time the USA was formed. Since the USA has never had a State religion, there are many more types which formed and flourish: Latter Day Saints, Nation of Islam, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of Satan, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Scientology, and others. Schisms occur, and it's easy to split and form a new congregation/church/religion. Or to have no religion (~20%).

The USA may not be a christian nation, but I'd say it is still a religious nation. Although, that does seem to be declining somewhat over the past 30 years or so. But, not as sharply as in Europe where many of the great cathedrals stand mostly empty. (Or, so I've read ...).
I think part of the religious influence is because of what kind it is. We have a lot more Bible Churches in America than Europe I'd imagine considering how there's no set American Christian. (Compared to other countries you can associate a belief. Examples are England:CofE, Poland: Catholic, ect.) So it's more likely for a discussion to be not clarifying within a denomination, but debating dogma between denominations.

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 10:26pm

Clearly you're happy with your system of government. It's not like you've just elected an anti-establishment president and hundreds of thousands of people are on the street protesting.
Heathen

Sunday, January 22nd 2017, 11:35pm

That's part of the system. We (supposedly) have checks and balances to keep the three branches of government in line. We'll see.

We also have a precedent of violent overthrow of the government if we don't like what it's doing. Of course, nothing like you've had in the past ...
Clearly you're happy with your system of government. It's not like you've just elected an anti-establishment president and hundreds of thousands of people are on the street protesting.

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Monday, January 23rd 2017, 6:01am

Sure we've only had like a dozen civil wars
Heathen

Kaleg Nar

• "Kaleg Nar" is male

Monday, January 23rd 2017, 11:19pm

We've only had one. Better unity that way.

Though I remember one teacher's comments on British war: The Hundred Years war wasn't enough death and destruction so when it ended, they had to go home and fight another war. (War of the Roses.)

Tuesday, January 24th 2017, 2:37am

The Revolutionary War was also a civil war, at least in South Carolina. Families split, brother killed brother; crops were destroyed; houses, barns, and churches were burned. Many loyalists fled after the war, to Nova Scotia and elsewhere.

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Tuesday, January 24th 2017, 8:01am

War of the roses was many wars, over many years.

Basic gist of it, the war ended when the two branches of the family joined again. Because incest is how the royal family roll.
Heathen

Draco and Solon

Stinker at the [Dump]/Dude at [BANE]/General at [IOAG]/Leader at [U-B]/Superior spammer to Snotgrot and Sharpe

• "Draco and Solon" is male

Beta: [Dump]

Pi: [BANE]

Rho: [IOAG]

Tuesday, January 24th 2017, 10:03pm

So, President Trump...what are your thoughts on him so far?

Not too happy about that Supreme Court ruling on Brexit, over in England...

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Tuesday, January 24th 2017, 10:56pm

Woo! The Supreme Court ruled against the government so the government has to do what it was doing anyway.

Trumps looking good for the Uk, just not people in every other country in the world.
Heathen

Kaleg Nar

• "Kaleg Nar" is male

Tuesday, January 24th 2017, 11:55pm

But he had the biggest crowd to ever witness an inauguration. Period.

:whistling:

Wednesday, January 25th 2017, 1:05am

Maybe he's including TV viewers too?

Or more worrisome, maybe he's just wrong and pathologically unable to admit he's wrong?

Even more worrisome, maybe his worldview is different from the general reality?

Kaleg Nar

• "Kaleg Nar" is male

Wednesday, January 25th 2017, 2:48am

What if it's the pathological liar + alternate worldview? 8|

Just worries me when there's blatant lying. (Not to say Clinton's scandal was any less concerning.)

Draco and Solon

Stinker at the [Dump]/Dude at [BANE]/General at [IOAG]/Leader at [U-B]/Superior spammer to Snotgrot and Sharpe

• "Draco and Solon" is male

Beta: [Dump]

Pi: [BANE]

Rho: [IOAG]

Wednesday, January 25th 2017, 10:27am

Are you sure it's Trump who made a mistake or lied? It looks more like his press secretary...and he did admit he got his facts wrong.
So it doesn't seem like blatant lying...

But then again you must think about how many people were stopped entering by those leftist liberal junky activists (we have those in England too) who all decided to block some of the entrances.

Although I do not think it was the largest inauguration crowd, not by a long shot, just throwing that out there.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Draco and Solon" (Jan 25th 2017, 10:29am)

sharpe12

Wellies Enthusiast

Wednesday, January 25th 2017, 11:11am

Not lying, alternative facts.
Heathen