You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Ikariam.org. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 5th 2010, 7:57am

Recent drastic decline in players

Has anyone noticed a recent drastic decline in the numbers of players on your world? Epsilon has lost nearly 150 players over the past two weeks.

Epsilon had been losing players at a steady pace, but we only lost 150 players total from April through June. Now this past two weeks has shown a loss of 150 players in a very short span of time.

Does anyone else keep a population log?

Monday, July 5th 2010, 8:01am

It is because 3.4 is mega mega boring and pointless in its own battle system make up. Meaning the only thing you can do safely without fear of needing to have 14 hours free time is collect gold and disitribute quantities of wine throughout places

Monday, July 5th 2010, 9:02am

In my experience, just checking the total amount of players in a world over time doesn't give a realistic picture of activity. The majority of bored players will not delete their accounts. A little part will set vacation mode on. There are many of those (v) accounts around these days. Since doing nothing but sending wine around makes your account stronger in this game, most of the bored players do just this. A lot of people don't have the time to play a browser game that asks for 6 hours straight, active button clicking to have some military action.

This is not an mmorpg...people who have time for those play client based games with awesome graphics, animations and 3d. There are even players who suggest more micro-managing, like choosing specific units to move around from and into battles. To those players I suggest doing this :dash:

Why not having the game force you to choose names for every unit before they are allowed to leave the barracks?

You can call me a lamer, but what I want is an Ikariam where I can successfully use my military without staying at the screen 5 hours. That's what I expect from a browser game. You get back from work and feel like having some fun with your alliance mates, making moves, chatting.

Now it's like: "Guys, I have no time. If I joined this battle now, I wouldn't be here when it's time to get the mortars out/in and cycle bombers. And I can't stay in that occupied town without being at the PC...etc"

There are so many reasons in this battle system that force you to stay at the screen all the time if you don't want your lower back getting handed over to you.
We often have situations where a member logs into the chat and asks if there's some action. The reply usually is that he shouldn't bother joining a battle if he has to leave within the next 4 hours. Few of our members have that much time to play the game. Personally, even if I had the time, I wouldn't want to spend it in Ikariam. When I switched from mmorpg's to a browser game, I decided to spend less time in gaming, not more or as much time as before!

Version 3.1 was the peak of the game. I don't know a single player who preferred gold mode over playing then.

Monday, July 5th 2010, 9:14am

Agree with Meranti wholeheartedly.

3.1 I could actually do something in an hour or two. Now? Haha, nah.

3.1 really was the peak of Ikariam.

Monday, July 5th 2010, 10:27am

second that, 3.2 Conjugated up everything. No more candy stealing from kiddies. A lvl20 wall would keep me out =.=
When in doubt
Ask yourself

W.W.J.D
WHAT.WOULD.JON.DO

In a rut about what to build? Build a warehouse =]

Monday, July 5th 2010, 10:59am

Beta is also declining fast, and of those that are still around i bet less then 1k are active, of those 1k active players 100-400 are in vacation at any given time. The final straw for many players was the decreasing of the off points. Players worked for around 10months to acheive what they did and GF just came and destroyed our progress with no care of what would happen.

Monday, July 5th 2010, 5:33pm

yha bring back the old good 3.1

Monday, July 5th 2010, 5:58pm

The new server is also a factor... I'm sure there are plenty of people from each server that are bored with their fully developed account and are ignoring it to play Omikron instead.

I agree the Off. Points thing was a real bummer... those lists are useless now.

However, I disagree you can't pillage anymore... with the new 'one wall section down' rule, pillaging is pretty nice again. The increased warehouse protection is a bummer, but I still find plenty of good farms around.

It's also alot harder to do waves now, to the point where I think most people just don't bother.. so that's a bit of an equalizing factor in combat. I agree it still takes alot more attention than in 3.1, where you just send all the troops in and watched it unfold.

When 3.2 first was released, I was assuming more unit types were coming that would make it a dyanamic and interesting combat model, but obviously that hasn't happened... perhaps it still will some day.
Looking to start fresh on a new server?

Come to Xi! Free resources provided to help you get started!

Contact me via PM for more info!

Monday, July 5th 2010, 10:18pm

So how long will you guys play Ikariam? I've decided that I will play until the start of 2012 and if the game hasn't had it's major issues fixed I will stop playing. But what about the rest of you what is your enough is enough point?
You cannot consider your spirits yet tested if you accept only those battles where victory is certain

Monday, July 5th 2010, 11:28pm

I will truly quit when server merges occur, or if the battle system doesnt change by 4.0.

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 4:11am

I'd quit if the game ceased to amuse me, so far it still does :)
Looking to start fresh on a new server?

Come to Xi! Free resources provided to help you get started!

Contact me via PM for more info!

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 4:56am

In my experience, just checking the total amount of players in a world over time doesn't give a realistic picture of activity. The majority of bored players will not delete their accounts. A little part will set vacation mode on. There are many of those (v) accounts around these days. Since doing nothing but sending wine around makes your account stronger in this game, most of the bored players do just this. A lot of people don't have the time to play a browser game that asks for 6 hours straight, active button clicking to have some military action.

This is not an mmorpg...people who have time for those play client based games with awesome graphics, animations and 3d. There are even players who suggest more micro-managing, like choosing specific units to move around from and into battles. To those players I suggest doing this :dash:

Why not having the game force you to choose names for every unit before they are allowed to leave the barracks?

You can call me a lamer, but what I want is an Ikariam where I can successfully use my military without staying at the screen 5 hours. That's what I expect from a browser game. You get back from work and feel like having some fun with your alliance mates, making moves, chatting.

Now it's like: "Guys, I have no time. If I joined this battle now, I wouldn't be here when it's time to get the mortars out/in and cycle bombers. And I can't stay in that occupied town without being at the PC...etc"

There are so many reasons in this battle system that force you to stay at the screen all the time if you don't want your lower back getting handed over to you.
We often have situations where a member logs into the chat and asks if there's some action. The reply usually is that he shouldn't bother joining a battle if he has to leave within the next 4 hours. Few of our members have that much time to play the game. Personally, even if I had the time, I wouldn't want to spend it in Ikariam. When I switched from mmorpg's to a browser game, I decided to spend less time in gaming, not more or as much time as before!

Version 3.1 was the peak of the game. I don't know a single player who preferred gold mode over playing then.

totally agree, 0.3.1 was the peak of the game, even it had serious bugs it was far more amusing. never feel such excitement for ikariam after.
I no be gentleman at all

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:00am

I just had an forced leave from the game for only 4 days but, since returning i am finding it really boring. I guess i will keep playing over summer as i am just building warehouses and will be busy most the time. But from september i am not sure what i will do... maybe just quit and hand my account to someone else.

Friday, July 9th 2010, 12:29pm

Even islands that show as having 16 towns on the world map usually have half or more of those inhabitants in v-mode or inactive, and the number of islands with 6 or less towns are in majority on My server.

The depopulation is continuing, and the battle system doesn't help this one bit. The number of players that make it through the gauntlet (50k-150k TS) are getting fewer and fewer because they are more than ever prime targets for pillaging. It is so much harder now to get a profitable pillage out of a bigger player now that the weaker ones are more exposed than ever before. Why risk a battle that will set a player back 100-150k resources with little chance of regaining it from the loot when there are easier targets around? Many of the old hands don't want to attack small players but many of those old hands are gone, replaced by a new breed that doesn't have those moral scruples.

Wars are running rampant, yes... because under the new battle system it is impossible to beat an opposing alliance into submission. Battles that last so much longer almost always mean that the defender will have time to come online and get rid of his loot through donating or simply lining up as much of a build que he can in the barracks and shipyard.

The higher WH safe levels mean that starving a player into submission is nigh on impossible as well as guarantee the defender will always be able to keep building military. Under the pre-3.2 patches an alliance could actually defeat an opponent thoroughly enough to make them disband, or a player could destroy an opponent by destroying his military and starving him of wine keeping him in a vegetative state for as long as it took. Now, post-3.2, there is little risk for an alliance to declare war, as can be seen in the large increase in active wars on the servers. Alliances that earlier would think twice about getting into a war with a bigger alliance now suddenly grew a pair, wonder why? :D

While more wars isn't an entirely bad thing (it does spice up the game for the war-minded players), it has a few drawbacks.... fewer players are actively involved in wars due to the time requirements to execute a battle that utilizes the full ability of the battle system, and a larger portion of the player base are confined to sim-city mode due to this. It's absurd to have to be at the PC non-stop for 4-6 hours to constantly wave in and out units etc, and if you don't you will lose the battle if you are fighting a player that does have the time to spend on this. I personally love twistedlink's sig... funny as well as so true.

I think the game has lost more former pillagers/warriors than it has gained new players that enjoy the sim-city style of play, and this opinion is backed by the obvious reduction in players we can see on the servers now.

I took a 6-month break from this game after the release of 3.2 as I was disheartened by the new battle system, when I returned after taking over an account I checked my old islands out of curiosity only to find that they were less than half populated. When I was on those islands there was not one slot open anywhere. I look around my current islands and see tons of islands with 2, 3, 5 towns on them. I still really dislike the battle system (especially the plethora of bugs that plague it), but I put up with it and only get into battles when I do have the time to waste. When I don't I loot resources from inactives, there are plenty of those.... the game is indeed far less enjoyable for me than it was pre-3.2.

So yes, in my opinion there has been a drastic decline in player numbers over the past 6 months, and this decline will continue until the war part of the game is either entirely nerfed or fixed. If nerfed the remaining warriors will leave and sim city players will thrive instead of leaving, if fixed the warriors will return.
IGN: Lord Beren

MY: FORCE Co-General
XI: -X- Leader
Tau: ENYO Home Sec

Words of Wisdom: Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
:censored:

DonJon

Banned until 23-09-2010

• "DonJon" is male

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 6:25pm

Not exactly sure why people dont seem to fancy Sim city. I mean 3.1 was fun, i had alot of fun pillaging fat targets. However, it was only to fuel my real passion which is to build build build and more building. And whats with the fuss about higher warehouse protection. If the guy has less then 80k(or the maximum number of ships) of lootable goods. Why in god's name are you pillaging him? If you did pillage him, im going to presume its for fun? If its for FUN why do you want to be such a sadist to the point where you want to see all his towns crash and burn due to the lack of wine?(another reason would be you happen to hate the person in question with a vengeance, however, that is a relatively rare case) For christ sake, dont bring your sick fantasies online. Go run over a kitten or something =.=

for me, yeah id like 3.1 battle system back, it changed RIGHT after i discovered the PERFECT army combination. But i would like the warehouse safety limit to stay. Id rather have Farmers/Bob the builders(at least they are pillagable) other than sadistic warmongers who go around making people's life on ikariam miserable, laugh at people who actually HAVE A LIFE outside ikariam and thus unable to participate in battles fully And mock other peoples values just because its different(Why the hate against farmers man? Just pillage em dry, no need to flame them for not defending their resource.Just take it!)

cheeriosss
When in doubt
Ask yourself

W.W.J.D
WHAT.WOULD.JON.DO

In a rut about what to build? Build a warehouse =]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "DonJon" (Jul 14th 2010, 6:32pm)

Friday, July 16th 2010, 2:25am

There isn't hate for sim city players. It's just that we didn't sign up to play sim city. I mean sure building is fun and all that I am somewhere in between both a warrior and a farmer.
But there is just no spice to the combat and the warehouse limits hurt the war aspect of the game. If they had about half of their current safe limit then it'd be fine. But as it is you cannot wipe somebody out and even all spoils of war are some of a thing of the past. And by wipe somebody out I mean you can't shut them down enough to make em stop attacking you and shut their war machine down. Which is a very valid part of war and something I think needs to be there.
You cannot consider your spirits yet tested if you accept only those battles where victory is certain

bravo 1

Unregistered

Friday, July 16th 2010, 5:51am

Actually

this game has two many servers & worlds
i think there is near about 500 server from all the world.
And the player want to give attention to some other than he leve the old ones
And 2nd reason
the game is boring
due to
When an alliance declare war for some other alliance than they activate vacation mode
than warriors dislike this and leave

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 2:01am

RE: Recent drastic decline in players

Does anyone else keep a population log?

Population Count 8th June 2010
Alpha 8,922
Beta 2,951
Gamma 2,964
Delta 3,050
Epsilon 2,996
Zeta 2,924
Eta 2,878
Theta 3,042
Iota 2,899
Kappa 2,876
Lambda 2,972
My 3,010
Ny 3,031
Xi 5,272
Omikron ---

Population Count 26 June 2010
Alpha 8,573
Beta 2,910
Gamma 2,932
Delta 3,053
Epsilon 2,913
Zeta 2,902
Eta 2,880
Theta 2,988
Iota 2,859
Kappa 2,853
Lambda 2,950
My 3,000
Ny 3,034
Xi 4,748
Omikron 9,858

Population Count 25 July 2010
Alpha 7,810
Beta 2,742
Gamma 2,721
Delta 2,861
Epsilon 2,665
Zeta 2,656
Eta 2,642
Theta 2,783
Iota 2,675
Kappa 2,650
Lambda 2,755
My 2,779
Ny 2,825
Xi 4,048
Omikron 8,930

Players "leaving" 8 June - 26 June
Alpha 349
Beta 41
Gamma 32
Delta +3 (gain)
Epsilon 83
Zeta 22
Eta +2 (gain)
Theta 54
Iota 40
Kappa 23
Lambda 22
My 10
Ny +3 (gain)
Xi 524
Omikron N/A

Players "leaving" 26 June - 25 July
Alpha 763
Beta 168
Gamma 211
Delta 192
Epsilon 248
Zeta 246
Eta 238
Theta 205
Iota 184
Kappa 203
Lambda 195
My 221
Ny 209
Xi 700
Omikron 928

Version 0.3.4 was rolled out on May 27th 2010 and Omikron started on June 15th 2010.

There have been some significant declines in player numbers over the past month and this has been across all the servers. Omikron can't really be counted in the figures yet as a lot of players start out on a new server and then drop out fairly quickly. More worrying is the continued trend of drop-outs across the established servers.

The Prof 8)

EDIT: Spoilers added to shorten the length of the post.
Avatar quote courtesy of Menace... Final Survivor Ikariam Walk Through

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Prof" (Jul 25th 2010, 2:18am)

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 4:56am

Summer time might have an effect. More things to do outside.

Sunday, July 25th 2010, 10:30am

The majority of players are students or kids in Ikariam, and generally we see an increase in players in summer. I know last summer during 3.1 Ny was at its highest activity, loads of population, loads of wars, and established players I had never seen before pop up stating how they can only use summer to play Ika loads as theyre too busy whenever.

Though yes, some people prefer the outside, but remember we're not talking about inactives or anything here, we're talking about players who have deleted accounts being inactive too long or deleted them purposefully. Even if summer is nice to be outside in, logging in once a day to distribute wine isnt something that takes long to do, or its the fact that the only thing you can do in Ikariam with limited time is just that-distribute wine, which makes people quit.

To attack, you need 1/3 of a day minimum. To effectively defend you either need twice as much army/navy as the attacker, or to be online during the entire attack so as to move units where theyre needed depending on which town is being attacked.

Most people dont have the time to do this, so are going inactive or deleting their accounts.

I myself am now at 65 million gold by simply turning production off apart from exact wine needed, within WH safety levels, and have 60 generals score (I deleted every towns units but somehow have 60 GS left?? LOL, id bug report but I honestly couldnt care less, considering the entire of 3.4 is personally just one huge bug that needs to be rehauled entirely.) and transfer the wine collecting gold.

I am hoping that within the next 6 months or so, the developers release an awesome version, hopefully with more trade ships too (that I can purache all in one go more than likely) and I can get my huge war machine going. My current gold growth rate I could easily be at 350 million in 6 months time, now imagine the kind of firepower I can deliver with that!