Make [1:1] near [99:99] like in a real world

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Make [1:1] near [99:99] like in a real world

Imagine this, you are in the USA, and you want go to Japan.
    At this moment, you would go through Atlantic, tehn Africa, then Asia and finally Japan.

But thats not the best route. The best one is just go through Pacific.

What im trying to tell, is if you ate at [10:70] and you wanna go to [90:70], you need to do this -> [10:70] - [20:70] - [30:70] - [40:70] - [50:70] - [60:70] - [70:70] - [80:70] - [90:70].
    But it would be better to do -> [10:70] - [00:70] - [90:70], like in a real world.

Now imagine people that are at [1:1], they almost don't have anyone near them because of that ;)

• mmm game says its in the meditaranian so i disagree about the whole world map buuut i do believe they should make some kinda world out of the islands it would probablly draw alot of people in ^^
  • zaky wrote:

mmm game says its in the meditaranian so i disagree about the whole world map buuut i do believe they should make some kinda world out of the islands it would probablly draw alot of people in ^^

But it also say WORLD map :P

I like the idea.
  • The West and East edges could wraparound, but North and South would not. If all edges met, the shape of the world would be a torus (like a doughnut), not a globe. Gravity on such a world would be very strange, and I would prefer my citizens not fly off into space until they can build the proper vehicles for the job*.

*Kidding... I don't expect the game to progress to space travel, though there could easily be a new game that has a sci-fi theme and uses planets instead of islands.
    "Must not all things, at the last, be swallowed up in death?"
    ― Plato

Message me on Beta: Thanatos
  • We can imagine to wrap around West and East edges, but not North and South edges if considering impracticable North and South Pole due to ice field.

We could transform all [1:**] (North Pole) and [99:**] (South Pole) in ice field.

To be more realistic the time travel in high north (and south) latitude should be shorter since it is shorter to go from UK to Canada than Gabon to Brazil.

Considering ice filed begin in 70 North latitude, the distance between island 1 [x1:y1] and island 2 [x2:y2] should be :
    DX=min(99-abs(x1-x2),abs(x1-x2))
    DY=y1-y2
    degree=30+(y1+y2)x0.6
    distance=( (DX*sin(degree))^2 + DY^2 )^(1/2)

with "sin" used with degree

ex:
    [10:02]->[20:02] d=5.2
    [10:25]->[20:25] d=8.7
    [10:50]->[20:50] d=10
    [10:75]->[20:75] d=8.7
    [10:98]->[20:98] d=5.2

Basically transversal displacement will be two time faster near North Pole, but since we will have no island on north of your island. we will have around the same number of accessible island inside a two hours trips.
  • well if the issue is more about the edges lacking neighbors, it could be possible to make a ring of islands around the outside of the map with game controled cities, kind of like the barbian village. Would give the players on the edges something to work with even if few real player neighbors. scaling of how much the computer ran cities could do would be an interesting arguement.

perhaps could make it so that the ring of computer ran islands somehow handles the wraping. like say from the edge into the ring is like normal movement (maybe an extra 20 minutes or something). but if you occupy and station troops in a city in the ring, then from there can cross from east to west if on east or west side and north to south if on north or south side (again, so extra travel time exiting the ring of computer islands). the topology would be wicked if tried to make it in the real world, but it would make for a way to go east to get west.
  • brilliant and reasonable idea..... plus it makes island much closer.... navigating the current map on wars takes your troops a lot of time, specially islands at the grid...its like going on the other side of the world.... it makes sense to make it realistic
  • nice ideia, because some are too far and can't move too many units, because it is a too long trip
    this way there would be more attacks and action
    i do agree
    its nice

but there is a small problem, the world map had to be changed, at least when you click there, 99:99 couldn't be in the corner but in the midle, if that's your city
    if you are in 99:99, you click Show World, 99:99 had to be the middle of the map, that's what i mean above
  • I think some people like being on remote edges of the world. Once you can plant a colony, it's pretty easy to pick up and move to an archipelago of your choosing, you aren't stuck with the random first city. Some people, and on the newer servers, some entire alliances, have moved out to an edge on purpose. Being on a corner is even more remote than an edge, probably too remote. Wrapping East and West edges around would remove the corners, but still allow for the option to be remote in the North and South, so that seems like a good compromise. More central area is added, making more of the map active, but people can still choose to make a Fortress of Solitude if they prefer. ;)
    "Must not all things, at the last, be swallowed up in death?"
    ― Plato

Message me on Beta: Thanatos
  • bennyboy wrote:

Making travel time dependent on latitude and certain latitudes icy is a nice idea but it is way too complicated.

Travel time not dependent on latitude :
    DY=y1-y2
    distance=( DX^2 + DY^2 )^(1/2)

Travel time dependent on latitude :
    DY=y1-y2
    degree=30+(y1+y2)x0.6
    distance=( (DX*sin(degree))^2 + DY^2 )^(1/2)

Do you really find this too complicated ?
  • It would be easier to put a cap on travel time. 10 islands would take twice the time of 5, but 20 would require the same time as 10. Feel free to play with the numbers.
  • I agree with this suggestion. To me, it's such an obvious thing to do that I find it hard to believe they didn't engineer the world map like that in the first place.

I also don't see problems with the coordinates, it would be easy to refashion the coordinate system if they gave it a bit of thought. It's already strange enough to navigate with the 1:1 on the top left side of the screen, I doubt they could make it any stranger.
  • elite_oracle wrote:

It's already strange enough to navigate with the 1:1 on the top left side of the screen, I doubt they could make it any stranger.

Well, if you're someone who's played JRPG's for a long time, it's not too bad. However, I have several hundred hours clocked up between both Final Fantasy: Tactics and Tactics A2, so I may be a little biased towards it :) [and those hours aren't including the Disgaea series either...]

Otherwise, yes, isometric does seem odd, but it can help in certain situations (eg: giving a world scale, allowing for more detail on islands, etc.)