Hoplites

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• I have 1200 hoplites in my army. The alternative is to use Steam Giants. The ratio for the unit is 3 Hoplites = 1 SG. Last I checked/heard, 3 fully upgraded hoplites do more damage than 1 fully upgraded Steam Giant. Not to mention, their upkeep is super cheap and they are easily replaceable fodder.
  • Hoplites are heavily armored spearmen from the towns' middle classes and during battle, Hoplites deploy to the front battle line before Steam Giants.

I recommend Steam Giants over the Hoplites. This powerful machine moves like a person on the battlefield, but has a superhuman hit strength. Stones, arrows and swords simply bounce off it.

The difference between these two Heavy Infantry is SG is higher in up keep; they take more cargo space and their speed is slower than Hoplites. However they will hold up better in battle. Now you can use Hoplites temporally for defense if you want to save gold

IWS LEADER of Beta
  • Now if we assume they are both fully upgraded... and there are 30 hoplites in one stack, 10 SG in one stack.
    30 hoplites x 3 gold/hour = 90 gold/hour
    10 SG x 12 gold/hour = 120 gold/hour
    Fact 1: Hoplites have a lower upkeep
    Fact 2: roughly 3 hoplites = 1 SG on the battle field

Cost of SG ~> 130 wood + 180 sulphur
    Cost of Hoplite ~> 40 wood + 30 sulphur
    10 SG = 1,300 wood + 1,800 sulphur
    30 Hoplite = 1,200 wood + 900 sulphur
    Fact 3: Using hoplites will save you 100 wood and 900 sulphur PER stack

Hoplites ~> 56 HP, 1 armor, 18 attk,
    Steam giant ~> 184 HP, 3 armor, 42 attk
    This means that hoplites deal 15 damage to SG and SG deal 41 damage to hoplites so roughly:
    2 SG will kill 1 hoplite
    12.26 Hoplites will kill 1 SG. (I will purposefully give SG the upperhand and round down)

Each stack of SG will kill 5 hoplites
    Each stack of Hoplite will kill 2 SG. (I rounded down and in favor of SG)
    But each SG is 'worth' 3 Hoplite. Even though I drastically rounded down for SG. The stack of hoplite killing 2 SG is equivalent to killing 6 hoplites.
    Fact 4: Hoplites kill SG better than SG kills Hoplites.

Fact 5: A full line of mortars will take out 18 SGs. That is equivalent to 1.8 Stacks or nearly 2 whole stacks of SGs.
    Fact 6: Can assume worst case scenario with opponent using 18 battering rams to kill hoplites. Rams one shot hoplites thus a loss of 18 hoplites regardless. That is .6 of a stack or roughly half of a stack.

Now for the main question, is it worth it using mortars against SG when there are balloons in the air, wreaking havoc on your mortars?
    Answer: What am I? The magic 8 ball? I'm not telling you everything :D
  • jooa0ky mathematically ya, i totally agree with you and stuff, but in a real battle, your a sucker if you have hoplites, especially in defense, because most likely you'll have like 3k hoplites to go against other players SGs, that puts your wall completely out of the equation, your wall is pretty important ;) in my opinion, you need SGs to win battles, all these mathematic equations or whatever, look good on paper, but really.. you need SGs, i've tried both, and i've been alot more successful with SGs, in a real battle, most of the time hops dont even kill many SGs per round. i wish i had a CR to prove it, but anybody thats been fighting alot, they'd agree. anyways.. only my opinion, it may mean nothing to you, but i think its important :D
  • I like having a mix of everything I have a lot of Hoplites, Steam Giants, Archers, Swordsman, and Sulphur Caribeenersthat is my whole Attack/Defense ratio besides my Catupults, Battering Rams, Gyrocopters, Doctors, and Cooks which give different advantages. The thing I know is that Hoplites give a good very good defense (especially for new players.)
  • slimshady242 wrote:

jooa0ky mathematically ya, i totally agree with you and stuff, but in a real battle, your a sucker if you have hoplites, especially in defense, because most likely you'll have like 3k hoplites to go against other players SGs, that puts your wall completely out of the equation, your wall is pretty important ;) in my opinion, you need SGs to win battles, all these mathematic equations or whatever, look good on paper, but really.. you need SGs, i've tried both, and i've been alot more successful with SGs, in a real battle, most of the time hops dont even kill many SGs per round. i wish i had a CR to prove it, but anybody thats been fighting alot, they'd agree. anyways.. only my opinion, it may mean nothing to you, but i think its important :D

I agree with this; in battle you see a downfall in the hops, but lets consider Garrison Limit

The Town wall contributes to your Garrison Limit. Every level of the Town wall provides +50 units of space.However if you are over your limit in units this could cause them to be outside the walls. Not sure. Point being SG would be less in units placing them behind the walls to begin with or I should say within the towns breach instead of being outside. Taking in the consideration that 30 Hoplites to start can fill one unit slot of the battlefield, but it takes only 10 Steam Giants to fill it. For this reason it could be you see less activties in the line up of the Hops vs. the SG.

Seeing on battle details you will see 30 hops not effecting the SG line. In some indication you will see maybe 20 hops in a unit sqaure fighting the SG and be even less effective. Now this could be in realationship with docs not healing fast enough. In any case SG don't require healing or need of DOCs. Having the superhuman hit strength, Stones, arrows and swords simply bounce off it. The archers and swordmen have very little effect only to soften them up. So in this case I would select SG or least in the start of the battle for reason your heavy infantry units are direct close-combat and prevent your enemies from breaking through your front battle line. SG would be more ideal for a start; then perhaps send a second wave of Hops which would take the field over the SG. Putting the hops as secondary in the event that wall is torn down could give them advange with swordmens because of their speed. Not sure. Perhaps they work better or the same.