Protecting small players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Protecting small players

Some folks seem to be concerned with Zeta shrinking. I know I am.
    There have been some threads discussing helping small players, some alliances have started wings.

To be clear, I have ordered NF NOT to hit players under 100K in total score. Of course when there is a conflict i.e. war, then a player under 100K in an alliance is fair game.

When small players are attacked by ANYONE, they of course get frustrated. When it happens over and over they quit.
    It is simple. You see a new player pop up on your island offer them help.

I do not care to debate what range is fair game as I have already set my own. I would like if others adopt something similar and encourage folks under 100K post here for help.
  • LCN has always frowned upon attacks of smaller players, except attacks done by other small players trying to learn the ropes themselves. A 50k player should still be fair game for a 75k or even 100k player, in my opinion, or even a 25k player fair game for a 50k player where that 25k player doesn't even keep a ram ship at port, nor any type of defense or walls, for example. But I 100% agree that players need to be given a chance to build up a decent account and I would look down on anyone with a decent account attacking some small player just because they easily can. We need future generations of players in Zeta... I too will help out a neighboring small player, and have often offered resources to newer players on my islands to give their economy a nice boost... I recommend that others do the same.
  • What about...

During times of conflict I see small/new players get occupied for the
    benefit of getting on to an island to attack an enemy and I often notice
    that the player doing the occupying will seem to forget they've occupied
    a player in the middle of no where and that small player will go inactive
    because every time he/she logs in they're still under occupation and
    probably doesn't know where the "rebel" button is...
    May I suggest if we (larger players of any size) do occupy one of these
    small players we send them a message explaining what we are doing,
    why were doing it, and make sure they get a healthy benefit from us being
    on there lands. Such as a good pillage profit, the 10% for pillaging from an
    occupied town, or sending them a gift basket of wood/marble/wine/crystal/sulphur.
    Ideally this will open communications to smaller players, and give them something to grow with.
    That or we could avoid occupying anyone under.. say, 25k points?

Just a thought,
    Odd da Don
  • Couldn't agree more...

Good thread!

It's nice to see some of the more powerful voices in agreement over what should be law in Zeta. When I was just starting and very small, it was DeathsTouch and Cleo from MAC and Capt CueBall from SHOE that extended their hands to assist me in my growth and I have never forgotten that courtesy. So I have always made an effort to help new players on my islands and never attack actives under 100k outside of war.

As for occupying, OddE is completely right about messaging them before hand. That's always been my practice and have actually had players welcome me to their towns and request that I don't leave. Having a different flag over a small town often times helps them from being pillaged by someone who would otherwise consider it.

Not only will I accept requests for resource help to those near me as CosmO has offered, but anyone with less than 100k overall points within a few hours of any of my towns can request my military assistance if they are being bullied. I can't promise I can always help because my alliance obligations will always come first, but I'll be there when I can.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tallisker ().

• lol start up a name & shame list for huge players who hit small players 100k and under on the boards, you know to highlight his/her bravery in combat and the high level skills it takes to beat down a player of that size lol
    ATTILA THE HUN

Ancient editor of ZetaNews...died while dusting off old newspapers...

DISCLAIMER: see T&C before playing Ikariam, death and dismemberment may occur when using these services, few clients have reported impotency due to radioactive testing.
  • myself, if a new player turns up on a island im on,i send them a message, basicly asking them if they need anything to grow, if they reply i fill their warehouse`s up, it dont take a couple of extra pillages to help. and i dont pillage anyone under 250k,unless they are inactive, but since everyone is saying 100k,it might change, on occupying i do send them a message saying what i`m up to,plus if i have killed any of their troops i send them sulphur to replace what i killed
  • Thank you Chilidog for this post, I always feel being protective over small players if we don't keep new players we will end up being like in an old men's pub which is not really the best.

Attila already had started this discussion: A Plea in favor of all small players a year ago, but now I am happy that people are here to listen. Personally I don't hit players under 100K and I don't even hit players under my score. We need to take care of new players.
  • Players below 100k are not necessarily new players... as with everything, total score is a poor indicator of anything. There are great players who are over 100k and terrible players below 100k and vice versa. Does it take a short time to hit 100k? Depends a lot on how good a player you are. A good new player may reach that target quickly and a bad player, slowly. Is it fair that a good player gets less protection than a bad player? If we accept an arbitrary figure like 100k, it's a figure plucked out of thin air because it conforms to a decimal... I will, absolutely, hit a player smaller than me when I have donated a lot to an island and they rake in from my efforts without even acknowledging that the island is built up on donations.

Rarely do I have to deal with a neighbour who is so stubborn and selfish that they do not wish to donate... I ask people to make an effort after a month or so.. I don't look at their highscore...
  • Probable Cause

Brasco makes a good point. I also have an account on Xi (I don't pay as much attention
    to it as I do Zeta but this could be why) and I find that a lot of the islands i share with people
    have a ratio of 50/50 on people donating and those who don't. This has made it hard for me
    to grow my empire as quickly as I could if they were all donating equally... it makes me want
    to pillage them. No matter what their score. If you're on an island and you see someone
    whose been playing long enough for you to notice they haven't donated, and it erks you.
    And you send them a message requesting Mill Donation, then yes, you should have a right
    to pillage anybody... To an extent. Show them that Leeching will not be tolerated. Given them...
    Say a three strikes your out policy?

-Three Warnings, with accompanying Pillages. Something that'll hurt but not cripple or cause
    them to turn away from the game. After three such warnings if they do not show progress,
    its open game on bleeding them dry, and hopefully they have all their workers going ;)

100k may not be a great indicator of a players worth, but its a pretty decent indicator of
    someones commitment and grasp of the system (which I hear is going to change again,
    anyone spare me some resources so I can boost my Palace? PM me, I'll be your buddy)
    We could make it 150K if that works better for everybody, but someone who is good and
    grows beyond that point quickly doesn't need the protection as much as somebody who
    grows at a slower pace. Ideally these players could join an alliance which should teach
    them the ways of Ikariam, or be left to the wolfs, chances are these characters don't
    donate much anyways.

A working thought

Respect
  • Ah well, protection of smaller players is quite common in IRON. If you're not enjoying your time in Zeta because of attacks, then you have not been checking the boards and not been reading about the game. Even a 40 point player can plant a town in an IRON stronghold and take it from there. I'm sure other alliances have a similar setup. But anyway there's 2 things. Veterans need to be a bit considerate, and new people need to make an effort. Not much, just read, look around, be a bit social. Mostly if people get attacked, then: They don't donate, don't play the game actively, don't communicate, don't know how to fight or refuse to move to an IRON stronghold.

Anyway I don't attack people in peace time often, unless if they are barely playing. That is have no army, have resources, but dont build. I build at least 1 building a day, unless if I'm saving for a GR. So if you don't build something regularly, you are asking for it. So if someone is smaller I check them out quite well. If I sent a spy there and saw a building was being made at the time, i might think, well, the guy is playing, leave him.
  • I am willing to not hit small players as an investment in Zeta's future, but not because they deserve to be passed over. There are reasons that people attack: resources, war, not donating, etc. Small or big, these are problems that the "target" brings on themselves. For Zeta's future, I am avoiding less than 100k players when hitting for resources, and instead sending them messages. I hope that some learn to play and become smart, but I have a feeling my normal farms will continue to be not-so-smart.
  • SO Guide, HELP, and do NOT PILLLAGE

- Untagged players under 100K
    - Tagged players under 100K in small alliance like alliance "ONE"

Pillage
    - tagged players under 100K in BIG alliances like "FES-A, NFA, etc"

I encourage folks to direct new players here to post for help and read what the community thinks

AND

- dutchday joins NF or becomes leader of IRON
  • Any new player popping up on any of my island automatically enjoys my protection and support for the player to grow unhindered in the hope that the new player may join my alliance when the minimum requirements have been met. There are cases that I have even retaliated for the small players so that the attacker may taste a dose of their own medicine. There are cases that we have waived our requirements when a player is highly recommended by our tenured players or when there are players that our members have invited to play ika from RL.

I'd like to share that other players are requiring even new players even under 10k to donate to the mills or be pillaged which is outright excuse to simply take over someone's resources. And this incident was dealt by us and was able to resolve diplomatically.

I can speak for INDY, that any new player popping up on any island where an INDY player resides will receive a welcome note and an offer of assistance.

To those small players being ravage and bullied by other player simply because the can, pm me their coordinates in-game. Let's teach those scums some lessons.
  • I absolutely agree with Elessar. I hope that we're not setting any "double-standards" though. It's quite easy to say that big players will stop randomly attacking small players; but in reality, people can create new lame excuses in order to break this agreement. I still need to see how most big players (especially top alliances) to stick to this guideline. It will be so annoying if this would turn out to be another chit-chat here in the boards.

Let us see how everyone in Zeta will respond to and comply with this thread from this point forward...
  • Ask me to stop and I will stop !!!!!!!

I don't think its the total score .. I used to hit someone who was 2x my total and he deleted his account cuz of my continuous attacks on him (that was a year ago) he had no hideouts and a lot of goods in every town and no troops to defend!
    another player left the game 2 or 3 months ago (INDY) he was ~750k total with a huge military and low hideouts .. I farmed him before, during and after the NF vs INDY war. (he is inactive now) the problem that he never asked me to stop attacking him! no one did, even the INDY general who saw me hitting him and his INDY neighbors.
    and as we know there are a lot of ~100k players who are active and fight in wars. so, its not the total ... its the playing style, they are noobs!

btw, I do not attack small players even during wars :P I had a problem during the ARGO war cuz they were too small :D

Good luck to all small players (join NFA to grow in peace ;) )
  • guyz u do realize that this entire thread goes against human nature aye? :p
    there will always be spineless cowards that hit small players and there will always be small players giving enough reasons to be attacked. zeta and to my best of knowledge all the servers r losing ppl cos the game devs have made a game playable after a certain point on. before that u cant really do lots of things and theres no way to socialize with other ppl. pm-ing is crap as a way of communication. make no mistake lads: ikariam still exists because its for the most part free, and it has some cute graphics/theme given it is a browser game. imo increasing the pve capasity of ikariam will bring back zounds of players. most ppl r farmers by default and they will be content with carebearing.
  • sourfou wrote:

guyz u do realize that this entire thread goes against human nature aye? :p
    there will always be spineless cowards that hit small players and there will always be small players giving enough reasons to be attacked. zeta and to my best of knowledge all the servers r losing ppl cos the game devs have made a game playable after a certain point on. before that u cant really do lots of things and theres no way to socialize with other ppl. pm-ing is crap as a way of communication. make no mistake lads: ikariam still exists because its for the most part free, and it has some cute graphics/theme given it is a browser game. imo increasing the pve capasity of ikariam will bring back zounds of players. most ppl r farmers by default and they will be content with carebearing.
    I do agree. The updates are killing the game and not the attacks.