Stories of being bullied by THL Curse

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Stories of being bullied by THL Curse

Feel free to share similar stories; I'm sure there are a lot out there.

I'm a fairly high-level player in Delta. I've played for over a year. I've avoided wars for the most part, with a few exceptions. I've been a member of a major alliance for about half my playing time, but currently am an independant player and enjoy that freedom. Probably 95% of my pillages are against inactives. The only time I attack active players is if I've been attacked first or if they're not contributing to resources.

There are three other players on my main island where I have several cities. I've spent millions in wood building up the resources (wood and wine) to very high levels. Two of the players on the island have enjoyed these high level resources but have contributed very small amounts for further improvement. In the Ikariam game, I think this is widely considered to be poor sportsmanship, a bad neightbour, a leech - and reasonable grounds for an attack.

The player in question, sleblanc57, has been on the island almost as long as me but contributed only a minimal amount for how long he has been there. He's only ever contributed after being attacked (single attack) by myself and warned. He has joined a number of minor alliances but recently joined THL Horde (Coz). As he hasn't contributed for at least 3 months, I decided to send him another message and go on a little tax-collection run.

This tax-collection consisted of one blocked harbour that resulted in zero loses to the player and one pillage that resulted in zero military loses to the player. The attack was done in conjunction with a message to the THL Horde diplomat explaining my single attack and the reason for making this attack.

I received some follow-up messages from the head of THL Horde... partly threatening and partly concilatory. Ironically, the leader of THL Horde actaully invited me to join his alliance.

A week later, A few THL Horde satellite cities appeared on my island, and today I am experiencing a full-blown invasion from several members of this alliance. Really, I'm not surprised, and have used up almost all the resources I have sitting around and am OK with waiting it all out. Whatever.

I guess they think they are sending a message? I'm not sure. The only message I'm getting is that THL Horde is an alliance that welcomes loser players who cheat, scab off their neighbours, and can't even protect their towns with a single military unit. Good alliances require that their players play fair and protect their own towns. So... open letter to THL Curse (Coz):

"Message not received. If I could go back, I would do the same thing. And if sleblanc57 continues to not contribute to the resources, I will attack him again. I will stand up for fair play and for what is right." - Nimpkish

This alliance is a Curse to the game. This over-the-top overreaction to a single attack against one of their players is a disgrace to their alliance and to the principles of fair play. Delta server is a worse place because of this alliance of trouble-makers.
  • @ Nimpkish,

I'm a tad confused by the effort you are making to smear our name. I am the Coz diplomat and besides the one line threat u sent me 6 hours ago I havent heard of you or your problem with our members.

Contrary to your belief we dont support leechers! I've had a look at your island and note you have a TS of 1.5 mill and the player you attacked has a 200k TS

our players sharing island space with you have the following TS
    xxx 200k
    xxx 140k
    xxx 600k
    xxx 700k

So with the picture properly represented I would like you to explain why you cant defend yourself or even go forth and wipe these guys out?

Summing up you and the actions you have taken I wonder if you might have been the typical schoolyard bully attacking 200k players and when their friends come to help you run to the boards? You have NOT tried to resolve the issue diplomaticaly! as for being invited to join Coz I think not!

We do not support leechers or pushers and promote good sportsmanship. Due to the amount of members we have Im sure you can agree that we expect any problems others on the servers might have with our members will be brought to the leaderships attention.

thank you
    Smeez
    Coz diplo
  • Smeeze,

I guess there is no communication in the upper ranks of your alliance. I was invited to join, not by you, but by someone above you. As for you not knowing anything about this, you were the first person I contacted about my problem with your player, and you never even responded, so ... good job being a diplo.

Total score is only half the story... he's been sitting there a year contributing nothing except when I attack him. If you guys think that he's being a good player, you have low low standards. And at least one of your friends who popped in to visit on my island has a lot more ambrosia than he knows what to do with... TS is almost irrelevant. Nice try. And I don't know why the waste of resources... you guys are getting nothing in return except an awful lot of lost military. Welcome to vietnam.
  • RE: Correction

Nimpkish wrote:

I guess there is no communication in the upper ranks of your alliance. I was invited to join, not by you, but by someone above you. As for you not knowing anything about this, you were the first person I contacted about my problem with your player, and you never even responded, so ... good job being a diplo.

In his defense, he just recently became the diplomat. The previous diplomat was artisans1. Artisans might have known about you getting invited, but Smeeeza didn't get the memo when he took over. It was completely out of his control and I can assure you no one is going to be like "Ok, what is EVERYTHING that is happening EVERY second because I am now a higher rank than before." I barely know what the General or Leader/Home sec of my alliance does unless they post it in IRC... and even then... a disconnect wipes it all and now I'm clueless to whats going on.

A diplomat's job is hard too. If you don't log on for like 24 hours in a larger alliance, you can easily have 50 new messages. I once didn't log on for 34 hours and I had close to 110 new messages. You know how easy it is for something to get lost in that much mail? If you didn't hear a reply, the smart thing would be to send again in case the message was indeed lost. The other members probably perceived the attack as "unprovoked" because the message was not passed on correctly. Instead of trying to work it out ingame, you decided to come to the boards to intentionally try to smear THL's name.
  • Fuzz. He mailed the diplo. He attacked an accused leecher, then he was attacked by several players. Where else is he going to go to get some answers?

I for one am sick of hearing alliances say the don't harbor leechers. Leeching is the worst act here. It is the same as stealing. I don't put up with it, and this guy shouldn't have to either.
  • The_Game wrote:

Fuzz. He mailed the diplo. He attacked an accused leecher, then he was attacked by several players. Where else is he going to go to get some answers?

I for one am sick of hearing alliances say the don't harbor leechers. Leeching is the worst act here. It is the same as stealing. I don't put up with it, and this guy shouldn't have to either.

The diplomat has changed recently. The original message could have been sent to the old one, and Nimp is yelling at the current one. Lack of communication is evident, however, a lack of persistence is also evident. Typically, if the person you are messaging doesn't hear you the first time, you try again. When someone relays a message that isn't directly quoted, their own biases get added in. Then the message is distorted and the diplomat has to make a decision based on what information they get.
  • This one time, at summer camp - A bunch of Coz members came and gave poor little Billy a swirly every day during free time. True Story.
    ---
    Honestly this is a ridiculous passive aggressive note - if you are upset over the "overkill" that Coz did in your opinion then post it as such (or better yet attempt to work it out in PMs first), don't try to hide it in a "hey everybody lets all complain about x alliance" thread.

I agree that leeching is annoying and shouldn't be tolerated-though one person's definition of leeching and anothers seem to vary greatly - and I also think if you are sitting with no def. even if you are in a big alliance you are -asking- to be pillaged (course likewise people could argue that attacking someone in a large alliance is also asking to be pillaged). But these points do not seem to be the focus of this thread - instead it's a jump on the bandwagon and complain about Coz with me thread. :-/

• Your leadership has no excuse

Fine, you changed the diplo... I'm pretty sure I mailed the same one the first time, but I could be wrong. That really doesn't matter since immediately after I made the single pillage, I was contacted by either your leader or general asking what I was doing and I sent him the exact same message I sent the diplo. So I sent this message twice, and it was received and responded to, and in the response is when I was invited to join your alliance.

Now a week later I'm dealing with not just a retalitory attack but a full blown 27 hour and counting invasion of all my towns from multiple players, one who have moved their entire 20+ level city to my island for the sole purpose of this "war". And in the past 24 hours they've got all of about 150,000 goods in total minus the 30,000 I've taken back. Talk about a useless war and waste of resources... and ambrosia.
  • RE: Your leadership has no excuse

Nimpkish wrote:

Fine, you changed the diplo... I'm pretty sure I mailed the same one the first time, but I could be wrong. That really doesn't matter since immediately after I made the single pillage, I was contacted by either your leader or general asking what I was doing and I sent him the exact same message I sent the diplo. So I sent this message twice, and it was received and responded to, and in the response is when I was invited to join your alliance.

Now a week later I'm dealing with not just a retalitory attack but a full blown 27 hour and counting invasion of all my towns from multiple players, one who have moved their entire 20+ level city to my island for the sole purpose of this "war". And in the past 24 hours they've got all of about 150,000 goods in total minus the 30,000 I've taken back. Talk about a useless war and waste of resources... and ambrosia.

For the record, I'm not in a THL alliance, however, I don't really support threads where the creator is intentionally trying to turn public opinion against the alliance in the thread.
  • What is the problem with a player publicly "calling-out" an alliance when they're acting inappropriately? They should be accountable, and smaller players and alliances should have a venue where they can get their story out... it's the only weapon they have against otherwise secretive bullies.
  • I have to throw my two cents in after seeing Nimp's post in the help section. A player with your TP that doesn't know he can be pillaged over land is embarrassing to the game. It also shows that while you claim to have pillaged many of people for leeching, that you really only attack smaller players that can't fight back and are the bully yourself.
    Remember, when crying about leechers, you need to take a few things into context. One, what level are the mines at when they join the island. Two, how much they have donated compared to there TP. Three, not to compare it to your donations. You may donate in excess to what other people feel is fair, and should not hold that against newer players.
  • TP means nothing to me in this game. There are a LOT of high TPs that are just SIMS that rely on their tag for defense. Then there are 200k players who have been here for over a year and are fighters and use their resources for fighting not building. Time on an island is my factor for donations. If you're not donating an avg of 1 hr production every day (just over 4%), you're a leech in my book. But that's my book. Others vary.
  • "

tted wrote:

I have to throw my two cents in after seeing Nimp's post in the help section. A player with your TP that doesn't know he can be pillaged over land is embarrassing to the game. It also shows that while you claim to have pillaged many of people for leeching, that you really only attack smaller players that can't fight back and are the bully yourself.
    Remember, when crying about leechers, you need to take a few things into context. One, what level are the mines at when they join the island. Two, how much they have donated compared to there TP. Three, not to compare it to your donations. You may donate in excess to what other people feel is fair, and should not hold that against newer players.Wh
    Why not just mind your own business unless you're going to read what I've actually said. I know I can be pillaged over land... what I had never realized was that I could have a port full of warships and a player could bring in their cargo ships and fill up. I think there are probably a lot of players that didn't know that, especially since it doesn't make sense and is something that should be looked at by the game programmers to fix.

I never claimed to pillage many people for leeching. Actually, I've only done it to two people. And the one who is the issue has a history of doing it for a year. I know what to look at for context - you insult me. I know how long this player has been on the island, I have kept track of their contributions, I have kept track of their total score, I have kept track of how much they use the mines, and I'm willing to be very generous in comparing their donations to my donations - and I've told that player several times before, that I don't care if he doesn't contribute a lot, just consistently. That's all I've asked, and he's refused to do so except after a tax-collection pillage. This time he's joined a big alliance for protection, and I can hardly believe they think it's worth defending this pathetic player.

And as has been mentioned already... Total Score is really being given too much importance here (usually always is). Once you get into the high 100,000s, it's fairly irrelevant in terms of war or donations. If someone has been on an island for a year with a 20 level city, I would expect at least 100,000 of donated wood in both the forest and vineyard, and that is being quite lenient in my books.
  • LOL, your initial post makes it out that you have pillaged more players than you have for leeching. It also claims that you have some battle history and experience, yet you don't know that basic fact about overland pillages. You also state that you sent a message to THL as you were sending the attack. That doesn't sound like diplomacy. That sounds more like begging for mercy before they retaliate. I might suggest that next time you message THL and give them a chance to respond before you attack the player. At least with that, you can call it an attempt at diplomacy.
    Your ships become mules when pillaging overland, and that has been discussed many times here on these boards. If you are to passive to keep up with the game, that is your fault.
    As far as minding my own business, if you really wanted that, you wouldn't have posted in a public forum for support.
  • The_Game wrote:

Medoria all jokes aside can I ask a serious question? In your opinion what is a good defense that keeps someone from being attacked? Is it a general score? Is it certain troops in every town?

The_Game - I do not think there is a simple answer to this question.
    To avoid random attacks I find the best way is to have a high spy catch rate (this means keeping most of your spies in your town) and at least 1 ship in your harbor. You also need to have a GS which is decent for your level / resource amount. If people can't spy how much resources you have and what troops you have and if your score is an "okay" score they are less likely to randomly pillage you. And of course 1 ship means that they have to at least either go by land or send in a fleet which gives you extra time to react/ship stuff out.

Another way of course is to be in an alliance that is willing to defend you / friends with higher players - while some might argue that this is not "honorable" or whatever - it is a game and if you have buddies who are better equipped to defend you then I see nothing wrong with those friends defending you if you need it.

Of course sometimes people don't randomly pillage they pick someone - I suppose the best way to avoid this is to first off be a good player - support your islands, talk to your island mates even if they aren't in your alliance, be familiar and friendly with alliances that are around you.

Now if you are already being pillaged or think you are going to be pillaged then keeping your resources low and ports high (so you can ship out resources and so alliance mates can easily move in and out of your city to defend you) will help the hostilities end. You should also have a high wall (5 sg will die with no troops in your town if you have a lvl 20+ wall i believe) and build units that harm from over the wall but flee after the wall is broken (flying units for example) so that while the person is getting no resources from you - they are still losing troops and of course gold for pillaging you and you are losing nothing - it doesn't make much sense to continue to do this unless of course you have some personal vendetta against someone. I've also found that most of the time contacting a player and asking them to stop or talking to their diplomat often works things out.

• That didn't help me. LOL I have seen players in your alliance with 3k generals and are 300k players. That is a target IMO. You should have 2% of your TS in GS meaning a 300k player should have at least a 6k military, and anyone over 1 million with no max TS should have at least a 10k GS. These are numbers many alliances have used in the past.
    People brag about having an alliance that doesn't harbor targets, but that's what most of it is TALK. They will defend a guy that is leeching off their tag, and leeching in any way should not be tolerated..
  • I am a leecher, so bite me

LOL,

who cares about the 2% rule? why should I have a 2% GS for upkeep, if I can get away for 0%.

Who cares about donation? Why should I donate to the mines, if I do not have to.

It is all relative, as long as these are NOT the official rules of the game, then why should I follow?

This is a game played by the islanders, there are builders and pirates, the builders build, and the pirates loot.

Of course the builders want everyone to donate, so they can build faster.

But the pirates wanted to fight and there is no extra resources left to donate.

What is fair? You join an alliance, you fight together, and you win or lose together, that is fair.

What is not fair? You want freedom, the one person builder, the one person army, you fight yourself and you keep quiet and grow up, and I know it is not fair.

This is a game not for complainers, no one is going to sympathize you, not me, not your enemy.

After all, it is a game, and who cares about you, just grow up and pillage if you do not wish to be pillaged.
    Alpha < > MEOW < > Dynasty