Ikariam Island Lookup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Ikariam Island Lookup

Introduction
    Based on the data collected in the Ikaraim 2D Island Map , primarily by nikitakit I have redone the Island lookup page so that it is much easier to use, and much more user friendly and styled.

Using the Island Lookup
    The page can work in two ways, the first, and most obvious is by submitting data in the form provided.

Islands can be searched by name (main priority) or location. A search by name ignores the coordinates provided so to search by coordinates ensure the name field is clear.

A second way to search is using data included in the URL.

URL Searching
    To use the URL search, the most important key value is:

Source Code

1. ?search=true

Secondly, either an island name or coordinates should be included as follows:

Source Code

1. &islandName=myIsland

Source Code

1. &islandX=1&islandY=1

Examples
    Some complete examples for two islands would be:
    .../index.php?search=true&islandX=16&islandY=51

.../index.php?search=true&islandName=Tageos

Game Links
    The island lookup also allows the user to link directly to the found island, either to the island view, or, with the island selected on the world view.

It can link to any server on the .org and .com game sites, and by request (since I do not know them all), I can add other domains.

Enjoy!

The post was edited 1 time, last by immortalnights ().

• RE: Ikariam Island Lookup

Originally posted by immortalnights
    I have redone the Island lookup page so that it is much easier to use, and much more user friendly and styled.

I wouldn't brag about it. :P There's still room for improvement. ;)

Now I'll know where all those spies were coming from! <evil laughter>

Good job! :)
  • That's great but where it says View Island World View is it meant to be linked? I don't know! :P To make it better you could say how many players are on it and world but it's good stuff

EDIT: I see the link thing but I don't exactly get it - you have to have an account on that island to see it, as it brings you to ikariam homepage, so...

The post was edited 2 times, last by HintOfSilver ().

• For the links to be active you need to select your server.

As you mentioned, you do need to be logged in to the game since it works just as if you where looking at that island while in-game.

I am thinking how best to work with Island in-habitants, but the key point to such a system is it is not allowed to be automated. Therefore it would only be as good as people made it, or, useful for specific people that choose to take care of their select region within a single world.

For now, its just a look up; what it could become is still not known.
  • Originally posted by immortalnights
    I am thinking how best to work with Island in-habitants, but the key point to such a system is it is not allowed to be automated. Therefore it would only be as good as people made it, or, useful for specific people that choose to take care of their select region within a single world.

Could someone offer some insight on just what would be the disallowed part there? I would assume it beyond any doubt that automated world crawlers are disallowed, as they hog the servers. But beyond that, I don't understand how automation would be bad in any way that manual entry would not also be bad.

If I, for instance, make a Greasemonkey script that remembers all the data from island view that it sees while you browse them in-game and which, perhaps once an hour or so (to be kind to immortalnights' server, assuming that is where the data gathered would be hosted), posts the past hour's seen islands and cities, in the world or worlds you have been playing (with time stamps for each city, so it will know which data to keep when it gets multiple conflicting entries from different players for the same location): would that be bad?

If so: why?
  • I of course at this time can only speculate but my thoughts are as follows.

The key difference to manual entry and that of any automated memory script even to the extent to which you describe is that manual entry is no different then each and every one of writing the information on a pad with good ol' fashion pens.

Nothing, nope, not even Google or Microsoft will ever take that power away from us. So naturally, there is nothing Gameforge can do about it either.

The main reason, aside from obvious extra server load that any script would generate, that a script to do such a task would likely be denied is I think mainly due to the way in which it effects the game.

No matter what, automating the process takes something away from the idea of having some kind of hunt/search for players, by having a database of everyone, it makes it only a matter of visiting there and searching with a real search feature. Though, it would happen if people would add them manually its not really possible for Gameforge to stop that, whereas they do have control over the scripts. A matter of principle I guess.

That said, even if a script only stored as someone browsed, a lot of people would browse solely for the purpose of data entry, therefore increasing server load anyway. Added to the fact that the script would get all cities without the user needing to click each one on their own.

Overall, it falls down to what they want, not always sturdy finite rules to which they want thing to abide by. I agree with them, having a script would make it comprehensive faster, but it also takes away the game aspect of it quite a lot. By having people need to contribute - it keeps the community feel and the 'help each other out' idea.

That said; if there would be a way to get a script to do such thing that had Gameforges approval, I'd make sure it would work on my tool :)

I think that is about it.
  • A script like that doesn't do anything any person with a wee obsessive-compulsory disorder couldn't do just as well. :) And I gather Gameforge are as powerless in that case as ever in the pen and paper case, except as relates to discussion and marketing the tools in their forums, banning users known (from anecdotal evidence such as having discussed the forbidden things on the board, or hosting a database backend on their web servers, and so on) to have any relation to the tools, as a silent watch-behind-your-back script like this is not detectable in itself.

What they can, and would probably be successful with, is asking users not to do things they do not like, articulating why they do not like it -- such as saying they don't want power players in the game with vast knowledge about all third party ikariam services to have a spy network that can (often) tell all the locations of a named player's cities on a world, at near-zero effort, shifting the power even more in favour of those players vs beginners.

We usually don't seem to get that kind of thing in advance, though (and a bit spotty reasoning if any, in retrospect), so if we really want to find out, doing it and getting it banned or not seems the practical approach.

Might want to discuss it in a thread of its own or privately, if the ban hammer might slay an innocuous unrelated thread about a not-yet-nay:ed island lookup hack. :) I'd gladly help out with the scripty bits, and perhaps some design ideas about making it a useful service as data entry and export goes.

I think I'm more interested in how players feel about tools like these than what Gameforge does -- somewhere down the line, after all, that is what is interesting to them too. Is it a cool tool and a good thing primarily, or a game breaker?
  • I'm so glad I found the tool. I think it's fantastic and exactly what I was looking for. Helps me find islands without having to search my world view, which I seem to be horrible at doing. :)

Thank you to everyone involved for making the tool!