nemenku

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Byzantium wrote:

hahaha that's funny. Whatever happened to that new player? Did he quit or end up joining you guys for helping him fight you.

Regarding Eta, and specifically regarding the world war, how did that exactly start and how long did it last? Was there a clear victor or did it just kind of fade away as people lost interest? In my server, Delta, we've never had a world war. The closest being a war where there was at least 5 alliances involved in declaring war on one another for various reasons, which I didn't really see as a world war since the definition of which seems to have to involve at least the top 10 alliances.
      I truly don't know, except to say that he didn't join The NightHawks (NTHK) alliance. We probably would have accepted him, he just didn't ask. The few players we've rejected were those whose reputation proceeded them, in that they had been kicked from other alliances for bullying or causing other problems. X(

As far as the Eta World Wars are concerned, I'm sure there are differing opinions as to how they were started, conducted, and ended. Mine is that the 2 largest alliances and a wing alliance (initially calling themselves the "League of Conquerors", eventually to be ISAF) were in the habit of randomly attacking players in the smaller alliances (to be ELoA). In the course of time, those smaller alliances organized and struck back. Things escalated, but not violently or quickly, due to diplomatic efforts. (That's one of the things I most like about Eta: the Diplomats stay in touch, and even in war the majority of the players remember that it's just a game, and are able to communicate with other players, congratulating them on well-executed battle plans. ... well, except for King Plunder. He was just vitriolic, and fond of suggesting others "kick a rock"
      ?( ) There was an agreement made to limit the war to the top 15(??) alliances at that time plus the wing alliance. The NightHawks just barely squeaked in. (In fact, if the scores of all the alliances at the time was graphed, most people would probably not have included us in the group of top alliances.) The war went for a long time, ending with a Christmas Truce. A clear outcome was not reached, and both sides claimed victory.

After a time, (which, as you can imagine included changes in the mega-alliance structure through mergers & splits, players changing alliances, other players entering or leaving the game) the war was resumed by a strengthened and renamed ISAF. But, by this time, some of what had been the smaller alliances (ELoA) were now close to parity with the top 2 ISAF alliances and their cohort. This war was not as well organized, and many of the very small alliances would declare for one side or the other (with occasional switches) to dogpile on. It sometimes happened that alliances were attacking alliances on their same side. :P This war also did not take as long, and had a clear winner - ELoA. Some of the top ELoA alliances chose to capitalize on their success, and merged. Currently, the top 3 Eta alliances are a result of these super-mergers. The ISAF alliances also tried a super-merger, but it was not as successful (bickering among their members about failed leadership, desire to continue a lost war, etc. lead some of their members to splitting out into smaller alliances.) The ISAF alliances are not as they once were, and I'd imagine that many of their current players are unaware of their distinguished history. The latter point is probably also true of the ELoA alliances.

p.s. I did locate Robert Marino's post, which provides a second, outsider's perspective on the World Wars. (I'm not sure if he knows there were 2 World Wars, or if he just lumped them together for convenience. In fairness to Robert, the wars extended for so long, and the truce was rather brief, so that to an outsider they might have just seemed to have been continuous.)

p.p.s For the original missives, do an Advanced Search for "ELoA", "LoC", or "ISAF", and sort by Date, Ascending. I think some of the very early posts did not get archived. Or, you could just read this.

LORDOFWAR wrote:

i don't want read all what u wrote cuze it's a lot
      but i like that u are human ^^
      Or, I could really be a dog, and I'm goofin' on ya!
    • I apologize for my late response, but there was quite a bit to read and I wanted to thoroughly read through it when I had ample time, rather than rushing through it all. Granted, I didn't do an advanced search of the world war, but I did read some of the suggested threads that you posted.
      I'm surprised to see that there was overall good sportsmanship throughout such a long World War. I'm just basing that off of my previous experiences in war, in which we declare a war against a previously friendly alliance, and instead of seeing it as fun, they see it as a stab in the back or a kick in the nether regions, ect; Which I think is a real shame, considering that if you are on a server long enough, you make friends with everyone and its hard to not insult someone and have a bit of fun. But that could just be Delta.
      But umm.. kick a rock? haha What country was he from?
      And I find it funny that you had a Christmas Day ceasefire for your server's first World War. I'm not too sure how well you know history, but there was also a ceasefire in the actual World War I on Christmas. I just find that funny how parallel that World War was to actual history, being that there was no clear victor and that Christmas ceasefire. :P
      How did the NightHawks fair in the first part of the world war? Being one of the smaller alliances and all...
    • Apologies from me in return. No (cable) Internet at home for 4 days. Comcast finally showed up this morning to fix it. The first thing the tech said was "So, you're having problems with your phone?" I knew then things wouldn't go well.

Byzantium wrote:

... we declare a war against a previously friendly alliance, and instead of seeing it as fun, they see it as a stab in the back or a kick in the nether regions, ...
      I would see it that way too. Why would you just attack a previously friendly alliance? I'd want to put you down like rabid dogs. :cursing:
      However, I can see that it'd be different if the two alliances agreed to conduct a war just for fun, giving members the chance to opt out if they wanted.

Byzantium wrote:

But umm.. kick a rock? haha What country was he from?
      I don't know for sure. I'd always assumed it was the Bahamas or something like that. But, my friend Google tells me that it's a common saying in south Chicago.

Byzantium wrote:

And I find it funny that you had a Christmas Day ceasefire for your server's first World War. I'm not too sure how well you know history, but there was also a ceasefire in the actual World War I on Christmas. I just find that funny how parallel that World War was to actual history, being that there was no clear victor and that Christmas ceasefire.
      I'm aware of the history. I think that was one of the reasons most of the alliances were willing to agree to it. It was sort of funny.

Byzantium wrote:

How did the NightHawks fair in the first part of the world war? Being one of the smaller alliances and all...
      Eh, we did okay. We got our butts kicked a little, but didn't really do to much. We dithered for a couple of weeks about whether we should join in or not, and finally reached consensus just before the deadline that it would be good for the alliance to participate. And, it was. We learned some valuable lessons ... forged some friendly ties ... learned how to work with large groups ... decided we wanted to remain a small alliance. We're still not war-like, but we can hold our own.

Mirarik wrote:

Is the food at Google as good as people say it is?
      Indeed it is. I work at a small site, but we have our own chef. They try to use as much locally grown food as they can. Here are the menus from 2 different days:
      • Dijon Rubbed Roasted Chicken
      • Lentils with Local Corn and Spinach
      • Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Vanilla And Lemon
      • Pinto Beans
      • Mixed Greens with Bagna Cauda
      • Yellow Squash Bisque
      and
      • Grilled Ribeye Steak
      • Baked Chicken
      • Honey Roasted Carrots
      • Steamed Asparagus
      • Onion Chutney
      • Broccoli
      • Baked Potatoes
      I'm very spoiled! I often find myself in front of the drinks refrigerator, looking at 20+ varieties, and not really wanting anything. But, gotta stay hydrated ...

king of petal wrote:

....fit for a king..
      Or, at least a hard-working Hardware Operations Engineer! We're the Engineers' Engineers, and often fix things before they know they're broken ...
    • I would see it that way too. Why would you just attack a previously friendly alliance? I'd want to put you down like rabid dogs. :cursing:
      However, I can see that it'd be different if the two alliances agreed to conduct a war just for fun, giving members the chance to opt out if they wanted.
      lol Let me explain my perspective.
      Delta is divied out so that the majority of the active players on the server are in three alliances, the majority of whom are in the number one alliance of the server, DMn, who has 73 members.
      As a result of this poor distribution of players, there has been hardly any alliance wars/conflict other than the few that a few outsiders start. In addition, the alliances that are in the top ten that do have some spark of activity are all familiar with one another and because of this familiarity, they don't attack one another.
      So, we realized that an alliance we've been on generally friendly terms with has challenged a members of ours to a 1v1, and their leader is involving themselves in the issues of two smaller alliances, one which we support, and one which we don't... our friendly alliance supporting the later.
      I made the assumption that they were looking for activity and acted upon it. A friendly arrangement would take too long to arrange, and accounts are so well developed on the server that attacking/pillaging their towns are just for the mere purpose of weakening their ability to wage war. But it seems that the majority of people on older servers still have the perspective of players starting out on a new server, that attacking someone without due cause is "bullying" rather than playing the game how it was meant to be played.
      As a member of our alliance puts it, "How can a war not be friendly?"

Regarding meals at google: I envy your job, only if it is for the food. x)
    • Nemenku.... Mirarik is getting upset because you did not replied to your thread...
      I know what you are thinking, what a baby he is.
      Well at least that is what I'm thinking >_>

So reply please :P
      Even if it is just to agree with my statement
      Embrace your inner demons.
    • Sorry, forgot about this for a long time. :S

Mirarik wrote:

What was today's lunch menu? And do you still play Ika?
      HOT ENTREES
      ​Roasted Chateaubriand with Bourbon Peppercorn Cream
      Beef Tenderloin, Herbs, Salt, Pepper, Cream, Cognac

​Warm Wild Rice Salad with Local Pecans, Tomato and Scallion
      Wild Rice, Pecans, Tomatoes, Scallions, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Thyme, Salt, Pepper,

SIDE DISHES
      ​Honey Roasted Carrots
      Carrots, Honey, Salt, Pepper, Oil, Herbs

​Local English Peas with Mint
      Peas, Pearl Onions, Salt, Pepper, Mint

Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
      Bulgar Wheat Pasta Shells, Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Free-Range Chicken Eggs, Hand-expressed Armadillo Milk, Salt, Pepper

TODAY'S SOUP
      ​Potato Veloute with Kale, Lemon and Parmesan
      Potato, Kale, Garlic, Shallots, Herbs, Lemon, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper

And, yes, I do still play.
      8-)