Modify Pirate fortress Captcha

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

  • Modify Pirate fortress Captcha

    General Information:
    Captchas are terrible so we should improve them.


    What are you suggesting?
    I suggest to:
    1. lower the number of letters required to do another capture run to 5 (which seems more then enough)
    2. let the system accept the captcha even with 1 wrong letter (because we are humans)
    3. (optional) don't ask for a captcha if the player did something human (like pillage something, reply to a message or upgrade a building) in the past 5 minutes.

    How will it change the interface/gameplay?
    Same interface, same captcha, just shorter.

    Suggestion Reason:

    Piracy is not the best minigame but at least it's something fresh.
    I
    have issue with the captcha required once in a while to keep using it. I
    usually miss at least once every three times, I admit my eyesight is
    far from perfect but sometimes it's just impossible to tell if something
    is a letter or a background scribble. Entering a captcha wrong is very
    frustrating.

    Render/Image/Screenshot:

    Sorry, none


    Special Notes:

    the third part of the suggestion is marked as optional because it will require more programming. It seems logical to me: I log in, attack something, reply to a message and then the system asks for a confirmation then I'm human? Really? If GF can still think about some script workaround around it, they can just do nothing.


    Thanks
  • [rmpa]APPROVED and READY for DISCUSSION

    We are already discussions about this matter but this is first suggestion how to improve captcha and not to remove it.
    Captcha has to be here to prevent using scripts for getting CPs [/rmpa]
    Worlds where I play : Alpha, Pi, Sigma
    Worlds where I played : Omikron (DR-F), SIGMA (P-R), Chi (NWOLF) , test server
    Gamma, Tau (INC), My (DR-F), Pi (CUR), Apolon (TNP, S_F) 1.speed server
    - Retired
    2. war server finished in ARES (DAWAR), 4. war server
    Former Board Moderator

  • I voted yes because they are annoying.

    I would rather have capture point generation redesigned though. Capture runs are the dumbest thing ever implemented in Ikariam and should be replaced.

    Point generation should be passive. Playing who has the most friends that are willing to spend all their time clicking a button is not fun.
  • I like this suggestion, i understand that the captcha is needed but i find myself being frustrated most of the time because i miss a letter. And it isn't just once that i will miss a letter some of them are very difficult to tell what they say. It really keeps me from playing the pirate mini game because it is just to frustrating with the captcha system as it is now. So i fully support this suggestion to revamp the system.
  • Why don't I have any problems with reading captcha code although I actively play pirates in 3 servers? :thumbdown:

    Captcha code was intended against bots and making it easier would only increase possibility to play unfairly with automatic tools.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)


    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Agree that it should be there to prevent abuse...
    But maybe a simple math captcha would do better for players..

    e.g.

    4 + 4 = ...

    and you just fill it with 8..

    (Note: The math question is generated as image)
  • Draxo wrote:

    Why don't I have any problems with reading captcha code although I actively play pirates in 3 servers? :thumbdown:

    Captcha code was intended against bots and making it easier would only increase possibility to play unfairly with automatic tools.
    Good for you. I don't ask it to be removed, just to be a little easier for humans. Scripts won't be able to solve it anyway.

    Pacific Rim wrote:

    Agree that it should be there to prevent abuse...
    But maybe a simple math captcha would do better for players..

    e.g.

    4 + 4 = ...

    and you just fill it with 8..

    (Note: The math question is generated as image)
    Not a bad idea but:
    1. it would require more coding then my suggestion (and GF is allergic to changes)
    2. consider tablets: most virtual keyboards show letters by default. You'll have to switch to keypad mode to enter the number. It would be easier for pc user but harder for tablet and phone user.

    Krux wrote:

    instead of captcha, add some extremely simple questions, like show two words in different colour and ask to enter the word in a specified colour.
    This suggestion would make it harder. You'll have to copy the right word instead of just copying something. Also color blind people won't be able to solve it.
  • The captcha is fine as it is BUT it would be nice if the ltters/numbers were a little clearer as the majority of my typos are because I can't read the captcha!

    If it was to be removed it would be a farce with bots being used to run 2.5 minute runs constantly.
  • Krux wrote:

    instead of captcha, add some extremely simple questions, like show two words in different colour and ask to enter the word in a specified colour.
    some people may be color blind.. so I don't think color check is a good idea..

    Pacific Rim wrote:

    Agree that it should be there to prevent abuse...
    But maybe a simple math captcha would do better for players..

    e.g.

    4 + 4 = ...

    and you just fill it with 8..

    (Note: The math question is generated as image)
    this is a good idea..

    also, if you have visited tinypic.com.. they have the best capcha possible in my opinion..

    they show a picture with texts that resembles with a common word but a bit different.. like

    Roses aRe Green.. and you have to type the exact sentence with exact cases
  • Sarberas wrote:

    also, if you have visited tinypic.com.. they have the best capcha possible in my opinion..

    they show a picture with texts that resembles with a common word but a bit different.. like

    Roses aRe Green.. and you have to type the exact sentence with exact cases
    Hi,
    there are plenty of clever captchas out there but here we need something as simple as possible and that's copying few letters.
    If you refer to the "slide the bar to let us know you are human" in tinypics it's very nice but:
    1. I'm not sure that it would not be script-proof
    2. it does work with my browser (android/firefox) but may cause problems with others
  • I don't know what version of tinypic are you talking about.. but I meant this..



    I should have posted the picture in my earlier post to clear confusion but better late than never, I always say!

    If this kind of capcha is used, then I don't think there can be a script which can do this.. and it's easy too
  • Sarberas wrote:

    I don't know what version of tinypic are you talking about.. but I meant this..



    I should have posted the picture in my earlier post to clear confusion but better late than never, I always say!

    If this kind of capcha is used, then I don't think there can be a script which can do this.. and it's easy too

    I got the wrong captcha, I saw the one in the registration form:



    This one is nice but could lead to problems with some browsers.
    The one you are proposing is good looking but will make things worst. You'll have to input 16+ characters instead of just 6.