Stop the Combat Funnel, Upgrade to Standard Combat Using ALL UNITS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Stop the Combat Funnel, Upgrade to Standard Combat Using ALL UNITS

Upgrade the combat system

Stop the current funnel system, stop playing the film 300 Allow all units to be used that are attacking.
    This system will allow all units from the attacker to be used. This will affect units in that there will be no hundreds of units sitting in reserves waiting to enter battle.

Suggestion Reason:

Suggesting this reason for combat change because players that have large armies pay for those armies to be used, not sitting on sidelines in reserve. The current battle system is broken and it has been proven in keeping battles going for days with players in large alliances sending unit to battle from days away. This would fix both land and sea battles. There is no reason ships should sit out a battle when they could be using their catapults or other weapons for firing at the enemy. With the current system, ships sit in reserve, but someone mind telling me in reality where a ship sits out a sea battle while the rest of his fleet is fighting? This would allow large fleets to have the advantage and stop being upset in battle by others who send their fleets to help. Lets stop the BS funnel system and get a true combat system. We can still have rounds in the battle but add in all the components fighting, stop the units from sitting and watching that should be in the fight.

Render/Image/Screenshot:
    No pictures

Special Notes:

The funnel system is a great idea that has run its time, it has been proven faulty by mechanics. Lets play Ikariam and not 300. Rounds can still be in game for combat but lets have all the units portrayed in battle. Have a town surrounded, cutoff, siege it with weapons or starve it out. But lets use all the units we take to combat for fighting and not reservist.

Member Beta Server since Feb 2008

• [rmpa]Approved after SMOD intervention,

but I still think that this is not for Ikariam[/rmpa]
    Worlds where I play : Alpha, Pi, Sigma
    Worlds where I played : Omikron (DR-F), SIGMA (P-R), Chi (NWOLF) , test server
    Gamma, Tau (INC), My (DR-F), Pi (CUR), Apolon (TNP, S_F) 1.speed server
    - Retired
    2. war server finished in ARES (DAWAR), 4. war server
    Former Board Moderator

• Reasons for voting NO:
    - Keeping a battle going for days takes a lot of skill and coordination. I don't see any problem with that.
    - The current structure of battles in Ikariam allows for a lot of different strategies to be used and allows different players to join with different units at different times on both offensive and defensive sides. The structure proposed would make battles too short for this to be done.
    - And for your point about simulating real life stuff, the attacking army doesn't ignore the defender's army in real battles just because they see them leaving the town 2 seconds before the attackers arrive.
  • Can't see any practical reason why to return in so looong past and change battles system in such way.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • I'm voting no on this, although the suggestion does have some merits. A more considered suggestion would get a positive from me.

For example, it is entirely practical to hold off units in reserve, especially on a town siege when there is only a limited way to get into the town due to the walls. However, there could conceivably be options to decide whether to through all your troops/fleet into a battle, or hold some divisions back. This could lead to much more interesting strategic decisions.

However, I'd rather see an in-the-round battle field for towns, allowing the use of more artillery to create more breaches in town walls. There could be a - say - 5 minute period between rounds where troop placement could be changed (with limitations on how far troops can be moved each period). There would need to be an auto-spread option (especially for players not online when attacked).

That would be a different suggestion thread though - but what I'm trying to say that a simplistic 'throw everything in at once' feature rewards strength rather than strategy, and bigger players already have too much advantage in this game.
  • Agree with everyone above my post..

This battle system.. as it;s been called 300 by the original poster, let's us employ different strategies and miracles to make it more interesting.. also it doesn't let the strongest side to always win, but the most skilled side with sufficient strength wins..

Which is I believe is a key to a good battle engine. I do strongly believe that the current battle system is quite faulty, but this won't fix it..
  • [rmpa]ARCHIVED
    Inactive and so popular suggestion
    Worlds where I play : Alpha, Pi, Sigma
    Worlds where I played : Omikron (DR-F), SIGMA (P-R), Chi (NWOLF) , test server
    Gamma, Tau (INC), My (DR-F), Pi (CUR), Apolon (TNP, S_F) 1.speed server
    - Retired
    2. war server finished in ARES (DAWAR), 4. war server
    Former Board Moderator