Who ever post last wins!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• 1) Nope!

2) I like Honest Trailers' parodies of The Lion Kong's soundtrack. And HISHE's (high-pitched) "Because I'm Batman!"

3) Hey, Gregorian is good. I discovered them from the recommended video from a video of actual Gregorian chant. Some song covers to search on YouTube by them: With or Without You, Sound of Silence, Conquest of Paradise, My Heart Will Go On, Sweet Child of Mine, Hallelujah. Those ones are some of my favorites by them.

I've also got a playlist of mostly 70s and 80s. And of late I've been introduced to the Libera boys choir which is impressive in its own right and even moreso when you consider the age of the choir.

What's your preferred musical taste? Though I'm pretty sure I asked before and it was something like pop or.country.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
      :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
    • I like a little of everything to be honest.

My dad listened to AC/DC and Ozzy and my mom to Madona and and Fine Young Cannibals so I was introduced to a wide variety of music. Basically if it has a good beat, or lyrics that move me emotionally or communicate an idea that makes me think I like it.

I am always fascinated when people say "I like ...." I mean I wouldn't say I like 80's hair rock ....but when I hear "it's the final countdown" I sing along with it....cause it's an awesome song...or Twisted Sister or what about Pink Floyd?

Sometimes I like blues and jazz depending on my mood. That being said, I do not listen to church music other than Bonnie M :P
      PROCAFFEINATING
      (n) The tendency not to start anything until you've had a cup of coffee
    • It's interesting how parents influence music. Since so often the stereotyoe is the kid is like "What is this?" to the parents' music whereas we seem to be counter to that. (As I know for me at least that's where I got 70s/80s from.)

Who's Bonnie M?

badidol wrote:

badidol wrote:

• It also seems that there's a Vienna boys choir that does it too. But I haven't listened to that one yet.

And thank you for the point. Each of them offers its own unique strengths and weaknesses in my opinion. Celine has a more "breathy" style that shines with the high notes. Gregorian has power that lets your soul soar on the words. And the Dragoons, without lyrics, really let you zoom in and enjoy the melody on the delightful bagpipe.

badidol wrote:

badidol wrote:

• I absolutely refuse to say I like Gregorian chanting music.....because I can't say it with a straight face.

Okay so your this or that question is very hard. I have looked into them a little and realize they are the opposing forces of the same war but I cannot say I approve of one over the other...or that one appeals to me more.
      PROCAFFEINATING
    • Gregorian: Masters of the Chant isn't what I'd call Gregorian. They have some modern instruments and a quicker rhythm. (Old-style was slower because it was meant to be sung in churches with an echo so if you went fast, the echo and the current singing would create garbly-gook.) But they do borrow some of the elements with a chant-like style and I assume the notes fall on a more Gregorianesque scale.

Me, I personally like Hannibal Barca. He was a masterful tactician who gave the Romans some hard defeats and that's no easy thing against the legion. While he lost Zama, a lot of that also had to do with him having insufficient troops, not as much bad tactucs. (Though I'll concede Scipio's method of dealing with Hannibal's elephants was insightful.)

badidol wrote:

badidol wrote:

• Helen357 wrote:

Your history education is clearly much more in depth than mine...which stopped in Grade 9.

Did you get a new scarf for Christmas?
      Well, I didn't have a history course in 9th grade. And overall, US schools' history education is kind of lame. Grades 1-5, and 7 all repeated US history until the end if the Civil War. Grade 8 did the Reconstruction era (1860s after Civil War) to the present. And grade 11 did from colonies to present. Grade 6 did ancient history until the fall of Rome. And grade 10 did World History from ancient to present-ish. After that I took a history class in vollege that went until 1650. So my main way of learning history has been from liking it and reading on my own or watching History Channel. (I loved Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe/Modern World as a kid.) I need to read more history again.

I do not have a new scarf yet.

What was Canada's way of teaching history like?

@nemenku Are there transcripts for that? It's a general thing for me that I tend to not listen to audio. Partially because it's sometimes hard to find time where I can have the volume nice and loud and partially because my hearing loss means I'd have to repeat parts of an audio recording a few times to understand what's being said.

badidol wrote:

badidol wrote:

• ...to be honest we were taught history.....but as it is a subject that I found dry (the courses focused heavily on dates) I studied, passed the tests and then immediately forgot the specifics. When I am curious about something the internet provides instant access to information, allowing me to research what ever I need/want.
      Perhaps my aversion also comes from the fact that I find history full of brutality...and proof how people are capable of inflicting horrors upon each other in the name of something or other. I am disturbed by how some of lessons history teaches us over and over again should be just common sense.
      I do enjoy learning about the different religions around the world, and about different cultures.
      PROCAFFEINATING
    • If you learn history as memorizing dates, it sucks. I prefer when it allows you to make a connection to the modern world. Example: In 8th grade we had this geography bee thing in class. One question was "What language is spoken in Libya?" Using my knowledge of history in regards to the Arab expansion, I was able to correctly say "Arabic" as an educated guess. But if you only learn dates and not importance, then it's bad.

For me, the wars remind me of a Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times.

I also find other cultures and religions interesting. And it's natural for history to get tied in.

badidol wrote:

badidol wrote:

• I looked, but didn't find anything directly downloadable. I did find an almost 500 page paperback of the transcripts, but the cost is $400.

The first thing I tried was opening a new Google Doc, and selecting Tools | Voice Typing, while playing the first episode that I'd downloaded. This failed for me. You may want to try it, to see if you have better results.

I checked into some online tools to change .mp3 files to .txt. There is a difference between transcription and conversion. Transcription wants to include speaker ID and timestamps. Conversion is simple intake of mp3 and emit txt.

Most of the transcription services seem to either charge by the minute of audio to be transcribed, or you can enter into a monthly subscription service. I did look at a few utilities (3 second backup and replay, shortcuts to timestamps, and the like) to help with transcription, but they didn't seem to fit your use case.
      www.voicebase.com
      sonix.ai/
      360converter.com/conversion/video2TextConversion?type=a2t
      vocalmatic.com/auto-transcribe/mp3-to-text
      transcribe.wreally.com/

I also checked a couple of "free" conversion services, but they either offer 30 minutes free, and then you have to pay, or they just didn't work. Bear File Converter did look promising, but it has a max size of 3MB. I tried the 1st episode, but it's 5MB in size and failed.

IBM's Watson Speech to Text service was fairly good, but only while listening along. There were enough errors that I'd not want to try to set it up, walk away, and come back later to try to read and understand it. Adding keywords such as Aeneas, Rome, and she-wolf did not improve the results. I did turn off Detect Multiple Speakers, since only one person is talking.

If you're willing to pay some money, then you could try looking at Dragon and a couple of other speech-to-text conversion programs to see what you think. They usually offer a short free trial period.

Another option I saw is to upload the audio to YouTube as a video, and ask for the captioning to be turned on. It looks like the next step is then to download the captioning file, and run it through a utility to strip the timestamps from it. I did not try this, but instructions are available online.

Kaleg Nar wrote:

@nemenku Are there transcripts for that?