Christmas contest 2014

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Christmas contest 2014

Greetings everyone! :)

Over the next days we will be holding a Christmas contest here, on Ikariam.org board. The contest is open to everyone and you are all encouraged to join in.

Question(s) will be posted daily, at 00.00 and you will have till 23.59 to answer them. All answers must be sent via private message to me. Do not send the answers to any other teamler.

Each question carries a point value, in the end of the contest we will look at the amount of points anyone has a determine the winner. Make sure you check out the individual point values with each question posted.

A few rules:

• Send ONE answer-message per day via Board PM to Contest.ORGaniser
    • Multiple entries are not permitted - your first answer will be the one that is counted.
    • You have 24hrs from the time the question is posted (normally, Midnight GMT+1) to PM your answer.
    • Do NOT send your answers to any other staff members as they will not be processed - only send the answers to Contest.ORGaniser

If you have something to discuss, feel free to do it here. I will be checking it too to answer any questions you might have :)

The first question will be posted on December 17th, 00.00 server time. There will be a total of seven days of questions and the winners will be announced shortly after the end of the contest.

Answer to last day's question will be posted the following morning, sorry for the slight delay there between next question and last answer! :)

In case of ties, we will look at the times when answers were sent.

And ofcourse, there are prizes for the best! The winners will get:

• 1st Place Prize : 20€ Gameforge Voucher
    • 2nd Place Prize : 16€ Gameforge Voucher
    • 3rd Place Prize : 10€ Gameforge Voucher
    • 4th - 7th Place Prizes : 3€ Gameforge Voucher

Good luck! :)
    A Festive Season To All!!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Contest.ORGaniser ().

• Time for the first question! :)

You have till 23.59 to answer this question. Please send your answers via private message to me.

Below you will find five statements. For each, you will need to answer if they are true or false.

1) Franklin Roosevelt banned Christmas trees from the White House in 1912.
    2) In ancient times, it was possible to completely defend your town with a diving boat and a cook.
    3) Christmas were banned in UK in the 1740s.
    4) When Ikariam first started, Gameforge only expected people to have 5 towns.
    5) Famous holiday song 'Jingle Bells' was written for Thanksgiving, not Christmas.

For each right answer you will get 1 point, for each wrong answer you will lose a point. For not answered question you will get 0 points.

Answer
    Please do not send replies to day 1 questions anymore.

1) Franklin Roosevelt banned Christmas trees from the White House in 1912. - FALSE
    2) In ancient times, it was possible to completely defend your town with a diving boat and a cook. - FALSE
    3) Christmas were banned in UK in the 1740s. - FALSE
    4) When Ikariam first started, Gameforge only expected people to have 5 towns. - TRUE
    5) Famous holiday song 'Jingle Bells' was written for Thanksgiving, not Christmas. - TRUE

The post was edited 1 time, last by Contest.ORGaniser ().

• Time for the second question! :)

You have till 23.59 to answer this question. Please send your answers via private message to me.

I have hidden 5 gifts in the Fan Art section. Find them and send me a link of each post where you found the gift.

For each found gift you will recieve 0.5 points.

Answer
    Please do not send answers to this question anymore.

Some of the participants may have noticed that there were 6 gifts hidden, not 5. This was to make the search a little easier. If you found all 6 of them we still counted just 5 of them. Any 5 of these 6 were good:

Hey .org artists
    Competitions -:Museum of Art:- 2013
    IKARIAN CARTOON (the Ikariam comic)
    Jellie's Gallery
    Rate the avatar above you
    General Fan-Art Rules
  • Time for the third question! :)

Below I have described 5 holiday movies. Can you get them all? Figure out what movies I am talking about and send the names of these movies to me.

1) In this movie, a man is shown what the world would be like if he didn't exist.
    2) In this movie, due to unforseen circumstances, a young child must face his fears and defend his home burglars.
    3) In this movie, a joyful creature and a little girl must protect a hat.
    4) In this movie, a rejected individual attempts to deny christmas for everyone.
    5) In this movie, Santa finds himself facing a judge.

You will get 2 points for each movie you guessed correctly, lose one point for each you guessed wrong and get 0 points for not answered movie.

Answer
    1) It's a wonderful life
    2) Home Alone
    3)Frosty the snowman
    4) How Grinch stole Christmas
    5) Miracle on 34th street
  • Time for the fourth question! :)

Please answer the questions below.

1)
    a) What level of of what building costs 143061 wood and 111621 stone?
    b) Can Spartans be sold?

2)

a) Can this town be raided?
    b) Can this town be freed?
    c) What does the yellow flag mean?

You will get 0.5 points for each correctly answered question. (Meaning 0.5 points if you answered part A correctly and another 0.5 if you answered part B correctly)

Answer
    a) Tavern level 31
    b) Yes, in Black Market

a) Yes, in piracy
    b) A little bit of a trick question: Yes and no are both correct answers, either was accepted.
    c) A person who has alliance garrison rights with your alliance or you, is currently occupying that town

The post was edited 1 time, last by Contest.ORGaniser ().

• Time for the fifth question! :)

Below you will find 2 anagrams. Find out what is really said. They are about Christmas, winter or Ikariam.

1) incredibleness meet witches trio
    2) lawbreakers rigorous papa i maim

You will recieve 3 points for each solved anagram.

Answer
    1. The winter solstice is in december
    2. Ikariam is a popular browser game
  • Vote For Features #8 234
      1. Alliances: ingame message for deleted members (31) 13%
      2. Island view: completion countdown (146) 62%
      3. Upgrades can be cancelled (57) 24%
    Time for the sixth question! :)

What place am I thinking of?

A very popular place for kids of all ages during the holiday times - and why shouldn't it be? Who wouldn't like to spend a day seeing how the great man works, what are his living conditions and just get a sense of the wonder that that covers this place. Be cautious though, it is can be cold in there, better wear something warm. What place am I thinking of?

You will get one point if you guessed the place I am talking about.

Answer
    The precise answer I was looking for was the Santa's village in Lapland, but the North pole, Santa's workshop, Santa's village and everything else in these lines was also accepted.
  • Time for the last question! :)

Below you will find a set of questions. Please answer them.

1) What has been the longest continious contest in Ikariam.org's history?
    2) When was server Rho originally started?
    3) Who of the current staff members has been a staff member for the longest?
    4) Who was the first official bug helper in Ikariam.org?
    5) In which version was Alliance Chat added to the game?
    6) Has there ever been a situation, where the same person has been both a GA and a BA in Ikariam.org at the same time?
    7) Which of these board teamlers originally started their career in the game team: Jake, Hopla, Mogwai or Jayme?
    8) Which of these sections has never existed on the Ikariam boards: Roleplaying section, Scripting section or Developer section?

You will recieve one point for each correct answer, lose one point for each wrong answer and get 0 points if you do not answer at all.

Answer
    1. The Ikariam Survivor contest
    2. May 10th, 2011
    3. Mogwai
    4. Ange des ténèbres
    5. 0.4.4
    6. Yes
    7. Mogwai
    8. Developer section
  • Here is the top 16! If you think there has been a mistake or want to know your score that is not in the table below, please send me a private message. The final list of positions will be posted in 48h in case there are any changes, so you have till then to talk about any issues :)

RankPlayer nameTotal# of answers
    1Sunrise297
    2Cassiopea276
    3Herack276
    4Paul Atreides256
    5coconutx246
    6mea237
    7clipz_demon22.57
    8Cruiser226
    9Kaleg Nar21.57
    10-11shuzo_kakashi20.56
    10-11Danielle110520.57