Why bother with the Town Wall?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Why bother with the Town Wall?

Sure in a young world it helps keep the riff-raff out, but in a mature world, why bother? You've likely got many towns and your military is likely in another town, so the attacker is just going to roll up some mortars and your Town Wall will go down in the first round. Yes, you can delay by putting in a spearman, a slinger, and a ram, but chances are you'll be away when it happens, so it really doesn't do you a lot of good, and anyway, your allies - even those on the same island - can't get to you to help in time. So why bother?

I don't have an answer; do you?
    Alpha: member of Pirate's Cove.
    Beta: Leader of United Galley Slaves.
  • I disagree.
    With +30lvl wall and few balloons you can harm your opponent a lot more than you will get harmed yourself. Chopping those mortars like a sharp knife cutting bananas. + if he got nothing from you, you had a nice win-win situation - he got more damage and you raised your respect in the neighbourhood.
  • I got a lvl 39 wall in my war mobile and all I need to do is build 1 spear and it takes them 7 rounds to break through that wall. As I continue to increase that it will take even longer. Can cause alot of problems if you are starting to be over run or need to get off the island with your army you can recall and they will be occupied for almost 2 hrs giving you plenty of time to get off the island.

+ if your towns are close and have lvl 42+ walls it gives you time to build a small army to buy some time until you can ship yours back or they leave because it is to hard for them to move from town to town.
  • With +30lvl wall and few balloons you can harm your opponent a lot more than you will get harmed yourself.

If you've got your army there, sure, but your army is most likely elsewhere.

I got a lvl 39 wall in my war mobile and all I need to do is build 1 spear and it takes them 7 rounds to break through that wall.

And if you're not there the combat lasts 2 or 3 rounds.

You can't be everywhere. You can't be on your account 24/7. And the wall doesn't last long enough for your alliance-mates to come to your aid.
  • I imagine that kevin´s situation is a bit special. My guess is that his war mobile isn´t all that mobile, but that its town hall is small (e.g. lvl 4), forcing the fight to take place on the small battle field. To breach a wall lvl 39, you need 18 mortars if unforged, a few less if forged. Still gives him more than 2, 3 rounds to breach and kill that defiant spearman.
    High walls give you points towards high score, but it has been said long ago that in developed colonies, they can end up being a terrible investment in times of war. In fact, it´s probably better if your army isn´t there when that town gets attacked, as a breached but still standing wall will be more in your disadvantage in most situation that no wall at all to protect a large army. (having said that, if you´re caught when offline and unforged, you´re likely toast anyway if your opponent came with sufficient troops)
  • If you've got your army there, sure, but your army is most likely elsewhere.
    Most likely most of experienced players have special "killing sets" behind walls in each town. And a really high wall (45+) can survive a way longer than just a round or two.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • A level 48 Town Wall - the highest possible and for which you need Ambrosia to achieve - has 2500 HP and 192 Armour. An upgraded mortar shell does a base of 273 damage. That's 81 damage after armour. A full set of 30 Mortars will therefore do 2430 damage. The wall is breached on the second round. All lower level Town Walls are breached on the first round. Not really worth it, is it? Unless your main army is there, but that's only a 1 in 12 chance.
  • Then maybe just use your army wisely and put some units behind the town wall - problem solved?
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Quartz wrote:

Kitty wrote:

Well, given that I have had a player batteling my lvl 20 wall for no less than 67! rounds (only brougth rams, no mortars) I say wall is very helpful

Well yes, as I said in my OP, they do keep the riff-raff out. But once the opponent has Mortars, it's Game Over for the Town Wall.

Well, player DID have mortars :P They just died to my ballons

Xarius2319 wrote:

67!? :lol:

Yes :P It is posted somewhere in the Royal combat-reports thread in Asklepios
  • Unwise wrote:

I imagine that kevin´s situation is a bit special. My guess is that his war mobile isn´t all that mobile, but that its town hall is small (e.g. lvl 4), forcing the fight to take place on the small battle field. To breach a wall lvl 39, you need 18 mortars if unforged, a few less if forged. Still gives him more than 2, 3 rounds to breach and kill that defiant spearman.
    High walls give you points towards high score, but it has been said long ago that in developed colonies, they can end up being a terrible investment in times of war. In fact, it´s probably better if your army isn´t there when that town gets attacked, as a breached but still standing wall will be more in your disadvantage in most situation that no wall at all to protect a large army. (having said that, if you´re caught when offline and unforged, you´re likely toast anyway if your opponent came with sufficient troops)

Yes and no. It is a lvl 4 town hall which means they get 6 back line units not 18 if I only have 1 spearman =) As long as I always keep 1 there it will take them almost 2hrs and for alot of the guy's cheating with 2m TS and 300k gens attacking with 6-7k units keeping them at double gold for that extra time length is killer.

All towns are mobile with ambro I just make sure to stick it in an area that always has action and then I don't need to worry about moving it hardly ever.

High level walls help especially if you are fighting away from your towns and someone comes knocking. building quick hop spear sword & SG can take them 3-4 rounds to get through and if they are only attacking one town at a time with a high lvl barracks in every town you can quickly raise an army to cause trouble and get your full force back for support.
  • If you have lvl 40+ walls like I do If someone starts attacking my town's i'll start building some hops rams and gyro's and SC's high lvl barracks allow me to build them quickly. Before the wall comes completely down i'll recall and when they move to the next town i'll be ready again to put up a fight for a few rounds. Each time it allows me to build more and more troops until I can mount a full defense or allow help to get there.