Game apathy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Game apathy

With the imminent start of a new server, I find myself with game apathy.

I understand that if there are new players to Ikariam, starting a new server allows these individual to start on an even plane with everybody else. Hopefully these new players will get addicted and become an active player in the community.

However, the world's I play on post merger are becoming sparse and lonely. There is game apathy happening.

While we welcome adjustments and tweaks to the game, it is very difficult to bring back the players that used to play. We need some way of introducing new players to these older worlds without making the new players feel that they have no hope of competing with the legacy players.

A short period of time post merger was exciting but the effect has worn off. Merging again is not the answer.

This is not a critique of the new server, nor a suggestion of another merger. Just wishing that there was some way attrition of players can be slowed down on the older worlds.
  • And what kind of suggestions you have (excepting impossible ones like removing piracy or multi accounts)? :)
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Piracy and Multi accounts are legal.

I now have too many multi's to take care of properly due to the merger.

Frankly, my growth on my main accounts have a lot to do with my success in piracy. My multi's feed my alliance's main pirate and he in turn protects me so I am able to place most pirate rounds.

I am not complaining about multi's because I have spend many years making my multi's very useful.

As far as I see it, all games (not just Ikariam) needs a constant influx of new players as experienced players move on to other games. This keeps the world interesting. However in this game, when you created your account really matters. On older servers, new players get blocked, pillaged and destroyed before having a change to enjoy the strategy of the game. - That is why new servers are necessary. I get it.

I just wish there was a way this wasn't necessary.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Oracle from Canada ().

• That's when the community feel comes in. If I see a new player on a server I play, I'll usually be nicer to them and sometimes send them some resources to get started. A large reason people stay is the social aspect so if you create a good feel there, you 'll get people to stay.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
    :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
  • Kaleg Nar wrote:

That's when the community feel comes in. If I see a new player on a server I play, I'll usually be nicer to them and sometimes send them some resources to get started. A large reason people stay is the social aspect so if you create a good feel there, you 'll get people to stay.

Actually when i see a new player , i just ignore them because you never know that this is a new a/c or your enemy made a multi near you.
    And 9 out of 10 times new a/c are the multi.

The post was edited 1 time, last by don ().

• You could create kind of a secondary God Mode for accounts that gain resources faster and cut building time down up to 1m points for example. The problem with that is People would do that with multi's and just feed their friends main and do vise versa. A solution to that would be having that bonus but if the account is on a shared IP they lose that bonus.

don wrote:

Kaleg Nar wrote:

That's when the community feel comes in. If I see a new player on a server I play, I'll usually be nicer to them and sometimes send them some resources to get started. A large reason people stay is the social aspect so if you create a good feel there, you 'll get people to stay.

Actually when i see a new player , i just ignore them because you never know that this is a new a/c or your enemy made a multi near you.
    And 9 out of 10 times new a/c are the multi.

I always used to try to start conversations with new players often didn't here back but those that responded I would feed resources and help guide them. Like you said now I just assume any new account near me is a multi of an enemy so I don't offer help.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kevin jan2 ().

• Draxo wrote:

And what kind of suggestions you have (excepting impossible ones like removing piracy or multi accounts)? :)
    Multis,the population took a nosedive as soon as you folks allowed them and the only reason you allowed them was to make server merges possible before servers turned in to ghost towns.

When you folks finally realize this it will be too late,every day I see people who have been playing this game since it started leave.

The only people against banning multis are the people using them and they are a huge advantage,unlimited gold and troops and you wonder why GF has to start new servers to keep the income coming.

Maybe some of you should lose the "cocky" attitude and try focus on saving a dieing game.
    Now lets see if a GO can answer this in a mature manner minus the insults.
  • All it takes is a look at vmoded general's high scores to see there is a problem. Well in Beta anyway.

In Beta many of us are tackling them head on by the sword and naval gunnery- to roll over and admit defeat would be the end for a game I love.

Combined with this ingame resistance some very good suggestions have been made including the huge voting turnout for the Timer on Vmode BM Sales - these have been invariably met with repeated condescension (arguably bordering on insults) by players and others in authority.

Del
  • Draxo wrote:

And what kind of suggestions you have (excepting impossible ones like removing piracy or multi accounts)? :)
    Do players have to do all the work for the profit-based company now, even down to the most basic of game development to sustain player interest? Come up with your own ideas. The community giving helpful suggestions is an added bonus for a developer, not something that should be the main driving force (unless the development model is based on that explicitly, like old-school Runescape, which I heard has binding community votes on changes) while getting passive aggressive comments from those in authority. You should be the ones doing the bulk of the work when presented with community feedback, whether the feedback includes any ideas for changes or not.

It's not even impossible to remove multi-accounts, anyway. There's just no interest (from GameForge, apparently) in reversing the "legalization" because a lot of paying players are using them and paying for Ambrosia from these accounts as well.

The post was edited 4 times, last by lvricards ().

• Do players have to do all the work for the profit-based company now, even down to the most basic of game development to sustain player interest? Come up with your own ideas. The community giving helpful suggestions is an added bonus for a developer, not something that should be the main driving force
    When GF does something on their own and makes own game's strategy - hey, why don't you ask players?
    When GF does ask players for ideas - hey, don't you have you your own heads and brain?

Sounds like double morale, doesn't it?
    It's not even impossible to remove multi-accounts, anyway. There's just no interest (from GameForge, apparently) in reversing the "legalization" because a lot of paying players are using them and paying for Ambrosia from these accounts as well.
    Wow, finally someone understood a business model. I just hope you'll agree - removing multi (including paying ones) wouldn't have logical sense after they were legalized with server merge.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

(c) Albert Einstein
  • Just like to point out that yet again a discussion has led to the disgust in multis felt by the most!! The fact that Oracle has just come out and said he uses multi to gain advantage for a main account is just disgusting and against the spirit of the game!? Seriously though no GO is gunna do anything about it right?? :thumbsup:

Sig and Avatar by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
  • Seriously though no GO is gunna do anything about it right?
    As already said thousands times - no, GO's won't do anything since multi accounts are legal now (inf only they are linked). I really can't see sense to bring up this topic again, again and again - reasons are explained a lot of times and you just need to accept is as fact. Period.

I don't know - maybe all these topics against multi accounts make some good psychological effect when you scream your emotions out but there is no practical benefit of them, actually it can destroy any good topic about other things.

(c) Albert Einstein
  • Your right a GO can't just go out and ban them because its not against the rules? But arent the staff here the link between players and the company? What happens to our suggestion pages? You take those to GF right so why cant the emphasis of what the players want be passed on to? Why cant the staff go to GF and say this is what the players are talking about, this is what they find is wrong with the game their playing?? I agree the topic is becoming frustrating but so many players are frustrated with the bending of the rules it is showing...

Sig and Avatar by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
  • Draxo wrote:

Seriously though no GO is gunna do anything about it right?
    As already said thousands times - no, GO's won't do anything since multi accounts are legal now (inf only they are linked). I really can't see sense to bring up this topic again, again and again - reasons are explained a lot of times and you just need to accept is as fact. Period.

I don't know - maybe all these topics against multi accounts make some good psychological effect when you scream your emotions out but there is no practical benefit of them, actually it can destroy any good topic about other things.

If he is gaining an advantage directly from his multi that is illegal.

We bring it up because it is broken and needs to be fixed Draxo. GO's said the same thing about server merges for years its never going to happen so don't even talk about it and here we are with merged servers.
  • Draxo wrote:

Do players have to do all the work for the profit-based company now, even down to the most basic of game development to sustain player interest? Come up with your own ideas. The community giving helpful suggestions is an added bonus for a developer, not something that should be the main driving force
    When GF does something on their own and makes own game's strategy - hey, why don't you ask players?
    When GF does ask players for ideas - hey, don't you have you your own heads and brain?

Sounds like double morale, doesn't it?
    Wow, finally someone understood a business model. I just hope you'll agree - removing multi (including paying ones) wouldn't have logical sense after they were legalized with server merge.
    The first comment was more because I felt you were hostile to the person for expressing feedback on the game. Of course the community participating in providing ideas is vital, but you cannot discard feedback on the sole reason of there being a lack of concrete ideas for changes. All constructive feedback should be welcome, whether it provides ideas or not, in my subjective opinion.

On the second one - I understand the business perspective, but you have to understand that satisfying the majority of the community has long-term gains in terms of game popularity and player loyalty. It's a very tricky subject and a hit-or-miss, either keeping the multi rules or removing them both can have massive repercussions for the game, it's hard to predict results of any such action. But usually the games that respect free players as equals (thus limiting pay-to-win benefits) tend to have more long-term popularity because they don't dissuade new players from participating.

Someone who's new to the game would probably be less likely to stick with the game after realizing how much he/she is getting destroyed by paying players. Even if the destruction of that player is not exactly caused by Ambrosia buying, many players wouldn't do extensive research and they will think that a paying player in a game with serious pay-to-win schemes is likely buying the victories as well. I believe that it's just bad first impression for newcomers (including myself).

I think a good compromise to the multi-account issue would be "illegalizing" them for all new servers. Or at least lowering the limit significantly, allowing like 1-2 IP shares, just to ensure that people sharing the same IP don't get banned as a result of it and can still use the function. It would be a waste of moderator resources to investigate every shared IP for whether it's the same person or not if the limit was completely abolished and instead you had to report in that you had a similar IP with someone - people would still multi then and pretend they're different accounts, so allowing 1-2 IP shares is a good middle ground. Sure, it can cause confusion with differing rules, but at least it's a move in a direction that satisfies both sides.

The post was edited 2 times, last by lvricards ().

• One of the most reason for that seems to be lack of possibility to increase amount of colonies. Most of towns are developed and all next building levels take days or even week (and also amrosia for double storage). So, in the end it's more likely just moving resources around, trading or pillaging someone. There are no more challenges for really old and big players who play since the very begin of the game.

Ok, there is a piracy and also fighting but no more that spirit of game or goal to develop towns or make researches, or donating in mines when they were lower as it was earlier. And so far I don't see any really working solution for it, if honestly. Actually that's a big problem also in other browser games where big and highly developed accounts have less to do in game.

(c) Albert Einstein
  • Draxo wrote:

Actually that's a big problem also in other browser games where big and highly developed accounts have less to do in game.

And of course if they do have a lot more to do, then newer players may quit because they view getting that fair as unattainable. (Needing a 1kk Scientists score to get all the basic researches prior to any futures for example would be a major turn off.)

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
    :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
  • So the problem is lack of end game content? In almost all games the thing to do once leveled is PvP or 'Boss raids'. Unfortunatly PvP has been broken by Multies and General banks so that is no fun at all and only 'Boss Raid' would be to see how high barbarians can actually go which is a solo thing and thus not much fun.
    On wednesday nights, rain takes on a whole new meaning...