What is this line???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• sharpe12 wrote:

Having said that. If I saw my full post count, I'd probably get depressed.

Though I'll admit it'd be interesting to see. (I'm guessing a x3 - x8 factor of post increase for people that are active in the Social Corner.)

Grotnot, I'd assume it'd be done by opening a poll to see if others desired the change and then he's got his admin tools.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
    :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
  • Usually the rank shows the knowledge and experience of the user - the more posts he has, the more trustful he (and his replies) is. If we'll add the offtopic posts - well, the whole system would loose its meaning and sense, in my opinion.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Except that if they're known on the forums for spamming, and then give bad advice, the people who do know more about the game can remind everyone that the player in question doesn't know anything about the game.

Let's say I tell someone they should tear down their level 20 wall. Most people by then, who are also active on the forums would recognize that it's me posting, and would intervene. In the same time, I could "spam" myself some points on actual game related content, without actually knowing anything or bringing anything into the discussion, I'd get to become "trustful" without even knowing anything about the game. And since it doesn't include things like offtopic posts, the person asking would be lulled into a false sense of security.

I'm no expert though..
  • I too do not agree with the change of the posting system.

I'm ok for a change in the "line" to a different look, and/or give a different title name to it.

Indeed, having more post counts do not mean one knows more than the other person with less post-counts. But personally, I think one needs to earn their way up to get a high post-count (instead of spamming) :)
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Well, here's some more background information on capabilities.

I can add any number of ranks, but I'd prefer 20 or less (I'm willing to listen to a good reason for more though).
    I can have separate ranks for male and female genders (and unisex ones also).
    Text can be anything that follows board rules, but prefer things that are single line.
    Icons have max dimensions of 150x25px. Smaller (height-wise) may be better to prevent excessive scrolling.

As for post counts. I don't have a magic wand at my disposal to show true post count of anyone, so, it's up to guessing for each. :thumbdown:
  • grotnot wrote:

Except that if they're known on the forums for spamming, and then give bad advice, the people who do know more about the game can remind everyone that the player in question doesn't know anything about the game.

Let's say I tell someone they should tear down their level 20 wall. Most people by then, who are also active on the forums would recognize that it's me posting, and would intervene. In the same time, I could "spam" myself some points on actual game related content, without actually knowing anything or bringing anything into the discussion, I'd get to become "trustful" without even knowing anything about the game. And since it doesn't include things like offtopic posts, the person asking would be lulled into a false sense of security.

I'm no expert though..

^This.

And while not often, there are times a new member can be more knowledgeable than elder members. So while I'm not saying it's necessary to include spam posts with postcount, there's no reason to fear if it happens, IMO.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
    :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
  • sharpe12 wrote:

Plus only like 4 people spam anyway,

Then why change?
    (although I think it will increase the number of post-hunters if the system is changed).

Returning to the idea about post-counts and how it may (or may not) signify game knowledge.. it is obvious to "us" (those who frequent the board and who do know something about the game) if a low post-count player answers correctly. So, in the end, (again I ask) why change the post count system?

Changing the text, the icon, the choice of genders; basically, a new look, is a refreshing thought.
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Why count the spam at all, could someone explain? The name of it explains it itself - spam, nothing useful.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • It would be a mental reward for people who are active on the board, which also would encourage activity. I for example started by playing, then joined the forums. Now I've come back to the forums, and am considering possibly becoming active ingame too. I wouldn't have considered coming back into the game, without having been active on the boards first. So spam is useful in keeping the community active.

Post counts aren't a reliable metric of reliableness. If the board was completely differently structured and was there just for support, we'd have a system, where you could rate peoples answers, and give karma that way.

If we honestly want a good way to show trust, why not give a special title to people who have given good and accurate advice before. If people abuse their newly gained status, just remove that title. We already have a bunch of special titles like "elite member", so this shouldn't be impossible to deal with.
  • Actually some boards already have that.. some call it 'helpers', 'FAQ', or simply 'spammers'. Whilst some do not have anything at all! :P
    Although I'm not sure it will bring in/encourage more activity on the board. But personally, I am not opposed to creating ranks/titles.
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Draxo wrote:

Why count the spam at all, could someone explain? The name of it explains it itself - spam, nothing useful.

let us spam your inbox and you will know the usefulness of spam :P
    a dead loop of spam can slow down a web server and sometimes ................. .

The post was edited 1 time, last by don ().

• grotnot wrote:

It would be a mental reward for people who are active on the board, which also would encourage activity. I for example started by playing, then joined the forums. Now I've come back to the forums, and am considering possibly becoming active ingame too. I wouldn't have considered coming back into the game, without having been active on the boards first. So spam is useful in keeping the community active.

Post counts aren't a reliable metric of reliableness. If the board was completely differently structured and was there just for support, we'd have a system, where you could rate peoples answers, and give karma that way.

If we honestly want a good way to show trust, why not give a special title to people who have given good and accurate advice before. If people abuse their newly gained status, just remove that title. We already have a bunch of special titles like "elite member", so this shouldn't be impossible to deal with.
    There was a time that I was getting bored of the game itself and was getting knowhere, the social corner on the boards was the reason I stayed active, and eventually I got somewhere in the game...just look at my sig.
    Huh, last 3 months I've learnt a tonne, and am already giving out tips (the best are war-related, though I know the basics with building) to friends and trying to help out newcomers (of which there are not too many anymore).