How to War

• Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Hey guys , i honestly dont know if its possible to do this type of discussion but the topic really interests me and i wanna know more about it.

I wanna discuss different war strategies but as i am new to the game i dont know much about specific ones .

I wanna start by knowing more about "Waving" . How to wave ? when to wave and how to counter it ?
    ( This will also help others in ur own alliance or in the server in general for more fun so dont hold the knowledge back)

"More hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than in the name of rebellion " ~C. P. Snow

The post was edited 1 time, last by K1Netic ().

• Thanks that was so helpful , it doesnt explain any defensive strategies however . i assume with the waving aggression in the game is more rewarding than the defense . Or is it ?

So if someone attacks me and tries waving ill just be a sitting duck in my town and all i can do is wait for him to decide when to stop waving or when all his troops magically get wiped which will be a low possibility if he waves correctly .
    "More hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than in the name of rebellion " ~C. P. Snow

• Nothing is stopping you to wave on the defense side, you can do it just as you do on offense ... plus if you are defending your own town you can just pull out whatever units you want and then join them back in ... its actually easier on defensive side :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rekt ().

• oh so im allowed to send troops out of the town during a battle ?* is it the same in sea battles? ) i actually never got attacked so i have no idea :D but in that case the defense has an advantage ? i wanna reach to the point where we decide whether its better to play aggresively or defensively just to decide my own playstyle, i also saw that colossus is huge and will straight out win the defenders battles which is quite op tbh .

The post was edited 2 times, last by K1Netic ().

• Colossus is only really used as a last resort if you are going to loose a battle in your home town
    a Forge is more important, and having all your troops and ships upgraded
    as your new, a great bit of advice is to have 4 warehouse`s in each town and build them up to say level 12/15
    that way you don`t need a wall or troops in your barracks to protect your goods

a lot of player`s will say I am wrong, but I have proved it lots of times, you can pillage me as many times as you like but you won`t get my goods :)))))))

I even convinced Don that back on Omega :whistling:
  • alf huckem wrote:

Colossus is only really used as a last resort if you are going to loose a battle in your home town
    as your new, a great bit of advice is to have 4 warehouse`s in each town and build them up to say level 12/15

a lot of player`s will say I am wrong, but I have proved it lots of times, you can pillage me as many times as you like but you won`t get my goods :)))))))

I disagree. First of all, you really don't need 4 warehouses in the city. Totally not. Secondly, you definitely need a wall. You don't have a wall - you are just dumb.
    If I would pillage you as many times I would want and none of resources would be stolen, it doesn't mean you know how to save those, you are just dry and inactive.
    4 warehouses with a lvl 14 can storage 26880 goods in safe, I steal more goods and storage them in my city in less than 2h.
  • I always thought you were a good player Hannibal
    you just gone down in my estimation
    New player`s NEED to protect there goods
    a level 10 wall do`s absolutely nothing against mortar`s ...........am I right???????
    (just to let you know, new player`s only have a small wall level 3/4 if there lucky)
    so to build a wall that is effective you need lots of goods, am I right?
    Whats the point of a new player building a barracks ? (unless there going to raid the barbarians)
    at best a new player can build a few Hops, but more likely they will build some slinger`s or at best spear`s
    so what`s the good building an army that`s no good, or a wall that`s as useful as a chocolate fireguard ?????????
    the only way to keep goods safe when your a new player is to have 4 warehouses in every town and on every island

Can anyone else give me a better plan for protecting goods?
  • alf huckem wrote:

I always thought you were a good player Hannibal
    you just gone down in my estimation
    New player`s NEED to protect there goods
    a level 10 wall do`s absolutely nothing against mortar`s ...........am I right???????
    (just to let you know, new player`s only have a small wall level 3/4 if there lucky)
    so to build a wall that is effective you need lots of goods, am I right?
    Whats the point of a new player building a barracks ? (unless there going to raid the barbarians)
    at best a new player can build a few Hops, but more likely they will build some slinger`s or at best spear`s
    so what`s the good building an army that`s no good, or a wall that`s as useful as a chocolate fireguard ?????????
    the only way to keep goods safe when your a new player is to have 4 warehouses in every town and on every island

Can anyone else give me a better plan for protecting goods?

I don't think that your subjective opinion about me as a player can impact the real me & I don't remember that we have met somewhere so I doubt that you actually know me.
    What do you mean with a new player there? Are you talking about 500 point players or 50k as it's still a new one for me.
    Now you are teaching how to be a sheep in a shark's world. There is only 3 ways how to grow fast in this game - piracy, pillage or your mother's vallet. You need baracks in 1/2 of your cities (atleast) to be able to refill your army in shortest time possible. Wall is effective, from avoiding that I would pillage your farmland with 1 slinger till making more damage to oponent.
    For sure there is many ways how to play this game, but if we talk about examples, I'm good one with an account in top50. on which I haven't spent any cent. So I know how to save my resources, take them from others and in the end - develop my empire.
  • u im sorry there but i am new as this is my 1st account but i do 5 towns with lvl 10 walls at least . i cannot spare lots of building spaces to build 4 warehouses so i got 2 atleast lvl 10s in each town . i dont really care about getting pilaged that much because its all about the dmg and armies for me . and thats y im going for the war strategies and not really the building strategies .

• A new player is what it means NEW
    500 k TS or 5000 k
    if they ARE new and not from another server they need help, not having `new reamed butt`s`!!! by all and sundry

`Now you are teaching how to be a sheep in a shark's world.`
    I`d have thought the sheep would sink without trace if it was swimming underwater watching sharks, unless it had been sheared before it went

"swimming with Shark`s"
    your right I don`t remember you ..........ANYWHERE!!
    ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA, DELTA, OMEGA
    but we are on a server together now :))
    I`ll come calling on you when I`m ready, you won`t know who I am, or when it will happen, but I`ll let you know in a PM :thumbsup:
  • Yes we as new players do need help . but i personally believe that growing my own army to protect my resources or grasp them back from the enemy . i never really went into real battles all i joined were skirmishes which were a 100% victory so u both have way more experience and ur tips r all important . so keep it coming :D

• Okay so i have always had a sort of mix of military and defense. I have 4 warehouses all high levels because firstly they provide some safety but more importantly i play piracy. Walls i have always had but when you grow and players have mortars they can become irrelevant at times. I also have a barracks and a shipyard in EVERY town for rebellions and speed of production, why out all the weight on one town when i can spread throughout and re up faster!!

Anyways recommendations;

2/3 warehouse, 4 if your playing piracy!
    A barracks and shipyard in EVERY towns, especially a military player.
    A wall is always handy and just level it up in proportion with your account.
    Have one spear and one ram ship in every town, stops an easy walk in pillage!!

As for the no troops, my argument is sure you could in theory protect most of your resources without but your GS and offensive score is what i look at along with your alliance when deciding a target, if your an active fighter you need to find the right ally and have the right army and navy for you!!

Waving is simple and i learnt best by doing it so find yourself a fight and try it, i made many mistakes but learnt and still learn as i go! :thumbup:

Sig and Avatar by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
  • Dr. Hannibal Lecter wrote:

alf huckem wrote:

Colossus is only really used as a last resort if you are going to loose a battle in your home town

I disagree. First of all, you really don't need 4 warehouses in the city. Totally not. Secondly, you definitely need a wall. You don't have a wall - you are just dumb.
    If I would pillage you as many times I would want and none of resources would be stolen, it doesn't mean you know how to save those, you are just dry and inactive.
    4 warehouses with a lvl 14 can storage 26880 goods in safe, I steal more goods and storage them in my city in less than 2h.

Good for saying me dumb.
    Btw i dont remember anyone who looted anything from me.
    but having 4 warehouse or having wall depends upon the gameplay.
    And if you will check the dissuction archieve you will find lots of arguement.
  • I see . but once the server gets bigger and more crowded and alliance wars start happening . is better to have a high garrison limit or a low one ? both as a defender and as a attacker . if i am to choose the battle field which should i choose ? ( keeping the overflow battlefields in mind )

• the bigger battlefield the better imo ... fights take A LOT of time, so unless you want to sit here and watch 24/7 you should aim for the biggest( and fastest) possible choice :D

And it will be over the garrison limit most of the time anyways, so not much you can choose there.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rekt ().

• Oh okay :D but in that case the defenders will be in a better position as they will be able to deplete the mortars'catapults' ammunition before the wall is even a target . but now thinking about it . the ammunition is depleted on the front lines which can be devastating for the defense then the attackers can wave their siege to refill the ammunition and hit the wall as if nothing happened