Godly Protection Change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Godly Protection Change

Do you like this suggestion? 8
      Yes (0) 0%
      No (8) 100%
    General Information:

What are you suggesting?

A change to the rules of what causes godly protection to end.

Currently, godly protection ends if you:
    * Upgrade a town hall to 5 (or 7 for premium)
    * Colonize a second city
    * Attack another player
    * Go idle

My suggestion is to change it as follows:
    * Highest barracks level and highest shipyard level add up to 4 (Your highest barracks OR shipyard reaches level 4 on premium)* Go below a certain island donation threshold
    * Attack another player
    * Go idle

How will it change the interface/gameplay/battles/system?

Players that simply don't enjoy PvP can ignore it as long as they're active and don't leech.

What if a player currently under godly protection has a level 32 barracks? I wouldn't want a player to be punished without fair warning. If, at the time this changes, a player meets the old criteria for keeping protection but not the new criteria, then they should keep the old rules for it. If they ever meet both sets of criteria, they get automatically transferred to the new set of criteria. Once no players are remaining on the old set of criteria, this special case can be safely removed from the code.

Why barracks level 4? Making a huge hoplite army under this protection, then suddenly breaking out of it feels to me like something that could be exploitable. Hoplites require barracks level 4. If you disagree with this part of my suggestion, but agree with the rest, then please say so! We could simply switch town hall for barracks, making it so upgrading a barracks to level 5 (or 7 for premium) is what breaks godly protection.

What is this donation threshold? This threshold variable would be per island the person has cities on. At the start of each day, the city's town hall level would be looked at to determine the amount to be added to the variable. If there are multiple cities on the same island, that island's variable for that player gets added to by each of those cities. If, at the end of the day, the variable is higher than their total donations to that island, their whole kingdom loses godly protection. The minimum to add before the day ends to keep godly protection, if the number is not yet met, would be displayed when you click on something on the island that you can donate to.

If the donation threshold is not met, but there is nothing that the user can donate to... (Let's say the island's wonder is already at level 5 and both the saw mill and quarry are upgrading...) Then the user does not lose godly protection, but still needs to make up the difference for the following day to continue to keep it. (This way the user isn't penalized for something beyond their control.)

How would this threshold function for a brand new player who doesn't have the infrastructure yet to handle it? Since the threshold is added to only at the start of each day, the day that the user created the account would have a threshold of 0. Additionally, the tutorial would have the user donate enough to their saw mill to last for one week of Town Hall level 1. If they upgrade their Town Hall higher than that, they'll need to donate sooner, but they should still get at least a few days out of the tutorial's donation. If the saw mill is upgrading at the time of the tutorial, the interface should show the post-upgraded saw mill instead, as the upgrade's difference is not going to make any difference to the brand new player anyway and doing so will prevent confusion.

Wouldn't a new city on a new island suffer from this? If the player picks a far away island to colonize, does so late in the day, and only sends the minimum resources that the new colony needs, then it might. They will still have at least 24h1s to get a small donation into the new city's island, so I feel like it's still reasonable though. After all, the day that the new colony is founded will have a threshold of 0, so it's the first FULL day of having that colony that they need to donate within.

What if they didn't meet the threshold, but they're no longer on that island either? This is another edge case, and personally I'd be fine with allowing them to keep the godly protection. If they were on the island for a while, then they must've been donating regularly to get this far, and if they weren't on this island long, then this was probably just a mobile for the piracy minigame, so no harm done really.

What about vacation mode? You can donate future days of resources in advance, so that should cover this at the minimum. The town halls adding to the threshold could also simply be disabled during vacation mode. I'd leave this call to someone else.

What if they lose their godly protection due to inactivity and/or lack of donations, but then log back in and donate enough? If this first suggestion is accepted, then I would submit this as a second suggestion. Attacking another player should definitely drop the protection permanently, and I could argue either way for amassing a large military... (Someone could just want to attack barbarians, after all) ...but it makes sense to me to allow them to regain it if the issue was donations/inactivity as long as they rectify the difference. Their godly protection would not be reinstated, however, until that day reaches its end.

You only talked about one type of leeching. What about temple leechers? I'll be honest... I haven't actually bothered to build any temples, so I'm not as familiar with how this part of the system works, but you're right, there should probably be something in here for this as well. Sure, some of the wonders seem useless to these pacifistic players (Ares, Colossus, Hades, and Athena), but I could see them finding others useful enough to want to build a temple (Poseidon, Hermes, Demeter, and even Hephaistos for fighting barbarians).

Based on the wiki, it seems that once you build a temple, your town hall's maximum population is added to the wonder's population total, and each priest covers only 5 of that total population. The temple's size also determines the number of priests you can have. Building a temple after your town hall reaches 32 could cause a significant dip in the wonder, but you do have to go through level 1 to reach level 2 and so forth. The best I can think of for this is to add the following way to exit godly protection:

* Having less than 100% of your own city's faith covered by your own priests, and either not upgrading your temple for one full week or having fewer than the maximum number of priests your temple can handle.

I'd like to see someone more familiar with the temple/miracle system suggest a better version though.

Suggestion Reason:

Why are you suggesting this? What will it solve/make easier? Think carefully about this one, most suggestions will get heavy critical feedback. Make sure you give a detailed reason and your suggestion solves the issue that you think there is.

Different people like different aspects of games. Some enjoy combat heavy games with lots of PvP. Some just enjoy building and resource management, and find such battles to be in the way of their fun. This would allow both groups to coexist without stepping on one another's toes.

Render/Image/Screenshot:

Do you have a picture/render/screenshot of what it might look like? A visual aide always helps an idea come to life.

I'm more of a code guy than an art guy, sorry.

Special Notes:

Anything else you want to add.

Nope. That's all.

The post was edited 2 times, last by -Hera- ().

• What is this donation threshold? This threshold variable would be per island the person has cities on. At the start of each day, the city's town hall level would be looked at to determine the amount to be added to the variable. If there are multiple cities on the same island, that island's variable for that player gets added to by each of those cities. If, at the end of the day, the variable is higher than their total donations to that island, their whole kingdom loses godly protection. The minimum to add before the day ends to keep godly protection, if the number is not yet met, would be displayed when you click on something on the island that you can donate to.
    NO because of this. Never make voluntary thing as a mandatory thing.
    Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Draxo wrote:

What is this donation threshold? This threshold variable would be per island the person has cities on. At the start of each day, the city's town hall level would be looked at to determine the amount to be added to the variable. If there are multiple cities on the same island, that island's variable for that player gets added to by each of those cities. If, at the end of the day, the variable is higher than their total donations to that island, their whole kingdom loses godly protection. The minimum to add before the day ends to keep godly protection, if the number is not yet met, would be displayed when you click on something on the island that you can donate to.
    NO because of this. Never make voluntary thing as a mandatory thing.
    That doesn't make it mandatory. It simply makes it so you can't use the extended protection to leech without any risk of being attacked for doing so.

Without this section, people would say "no" because it would allow leeches to leech without any threat to them. It's not a part of the idea that I actually care about personally. It was only added to keep the rest of the idea from immediately sinking. Also, I never specified the number. It could be zero for all I care.

The only part of this that's for what I personally want is the removal of ending godly protection at Town Hall > 4 (6) or new colony formation. The rest is just to try to appease others one way or another.

Really, all I want is a combat-free mode, where a player who has no interest in PvP can still enjoy the fun parts of the game without having to waste a bunch of time and resources on a part of the game that they don't enjoy. (It is a game, after all. The entire point is to have fun.) Most other PvP games that have enjoyable non-PvP content have some built in way to enjoy that content while ignoring the very existence of the game's PvP, and I don't think GF will be willing to try making a completely non-PvP server.

-----

EDIT: I would add that in the capital, at Town Hall level 4 (6) or less (at least), the threshold should be 0, as to not really change things too early.

The post was edited 10 times, last by Thajocoth ().

• Thajocoth wrote:

Why barracks level 4? Making a huge hoplite army under this protection, then suddenly breaking out of it feels to me like something that could be exploitable. Hoplites require barracks level 4. If you disagree with this part of my suggestion, but agree with the rest, then please say so! We could simply switch town hall for barracks, making it so upgrading a barracks to level 5 (or 7 for premium) is what breaks godly protection.

"suddenly breaking out of it". What do you mean by suddenly? 6 months later? 3 weeks later?
    And what is "huge hoplite"? How many hops is considered as "huge"?
    Given the possibility to buy troops (as long as the account has sufficient gold to maintain them), whether one has a barrack level 4 or level 48 would not matter.

Similarly for a threshold donation to mill/mine, to me it won't work. A complete tutorial gives a player a level 2 townhall already, and the player is already keen to build other infrastructures instead of donating the wood they get from the tutorial. Also, the daily task provides "ONLY" 50 meagre wood; a real luxury for a brand new account :S

Further you mentioned about several cities on an island. What about a player who is all alone on an island, and couldn't care about donating. It's his problem if the mill or mine is not upgraded.

Temple leeching is a different story. A player who builds a temple can create problems for his neighbours if he does not put in sufficient priests.

In the end, this suggestion seems to address the problems of leechings, rather than the problem of Godly protection. A REAL God-mode player does not leech, nor does he build huge amounts of hoplites and get out of godly protection, nor does he build unnecessary buildings like temple. And there is even a great chance he/she donates to contribute and have neighbours who will trade with him/her.
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Hopla wrote:

Once a suggestion is approved, it gets 90 days to be discussed. If your idea is very well received by the Ikariam community and players feels it is merited, then it will be moved to the Reported Suggestions forum. For a suggestion to get into the Reported section, the suggestion must receive more than 80% upvotes, minimum 12 out of 15 votes, after 90 days of being active.

90 Days + have passed, More than 90 days was given due to the merge we lost our polls... unfortunately this community (or any other community at this point in time) have not given enough votes for it to be moved into Reported Suggestions. Therefore, I am going to have to reject this suggestion.

Thank you for your contributions. :)

Want to become an Elite Member? Ask me how..

Thank you FinJambo for my Signature

Board Rules | Support