Request for a merge!

• Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Hey there,

we're obviously aware of the fact that many servers could do with a merge.
      However, we currently have no working merging system due to some changes of the past including the new shop system as well as the newer operating system which brought along a newer PHP version which required some changes to the code etc.

Therefore, while we agree that a merge is necessary we currently can not perform any. We're working on that.

Thank you for understanding.

• We are glad to see you here, your response will be appreciated. It just seems a bit weird that "pay and swap a server'' offer still works totally fine while free option - merge - is out of service.

But lets put that aside for a moment, I have an idea which might help to improve the whole merging in general. It might be worth reading this.
      I've witnessed all the good and the bad sides of this occasion. I might be wrong but this will be my opinion as a player - playing this fantasy browser game for years now and being directly involved in 2 merges myself.

I think the most important thing is to understand the Ikariam's concept to be able to perform quality merges where all involved parties would be satisfied. Ikariam is all about the score - no matter which one the player is pursuing - total, military, science, offensive or any other. That's what matters for every single Ikariam player. It's crucial to keep that in mind when thinking about a merge. There are a lot of players who have invested real money into the game just to get their own score (no matter which one) in better position on the top-list. That's the reason why those players (as every single GO or MOD says) were ''crying'' after each merge. That's pretty logical if you invest, for example, 300 EUR in 1 year to claim TOP 5 total score top-list on your server and in one day you end up somewhere else in 1000. position. All that effort and money is gone for nothing.

That's why I took a minute and thought about a system how to make it fair for every single player. It might be a bit tricky to implement it into game mechanics but it definitely would keep active tremendous amount of players involved. As we all know, very high % of merged players quit the game and never really settle in a new server. There are many reasons - the main one - impossible to compete and claim top positions of a high score table. ( As far as I know - all the previous merges were forced from new servers to old ones)

That's why I want to offer a pyramid system - where players are divided in groups considering their total score.

:!: How would that go Hannibal?!

Lets say server X needs to be merged. Game developers prepare and open all servers available for it. That should include but are not limited to - the newest server, 2nd newest server, any 2 servers at the "middle" and 2 oldest servers. Players are divided into groups (that's only raw guess as it may differ):
      Players with total score from 0 - 500,000 total score
      Players with total score from 500,000 - 2,000,000 total score
      Players with total score from 2,000,000 - 10,000,000 total score
      Players with total score from 10,000,000 - max total score.

:!: Each of this player group have a different options laid down - first player group get to choose between 2 newest servers to play in, second player group gets to choose between 3rd and 4th newest server, 3rd player group gets to choose between 5th and 6th server group and the last group gets to choose between 2 oldest servers. These points are just a draft and can be applied for each server (who needs merge) individually.

:!: Also important note - players from lower groups could choose any higher group option but higher group players couldn't choose lower group options. For example, in this case smallest player group would have 8 options, while the biggest group would have only 2. But this addition would help smaller players to follow their big friends on own will. That would be their decision to drop from, for example, 134. position to 3445. position. That wouldn't be forced. There are many other things I can add to this idea but that would follow if anyone would be interested in my proposal.

:!: It might be performed differently than stated above, but the main idea should be clear. And also - when merge is announced (usually a month before the action), it would be only logical to shut down the registration for that current server - that's the way to inform new players not to make an account and put an effort in server which will disappear any time soon.

Cheers!
    • What about RoW? Those cheats still around?
      Leader of UE Psi Retired Undefeated

Leader of ELITE Apollon Retired Undefeated

Former member of N-F but now in TMM, Rho.

Member and sometimes Saxy General of _UE_, Demeters

Allianceless in Pi.

BLACK in Gaia.

Leader of -W- in Hades

Democratically Elected Chairman of Men Power Council (MPC) in spam section.

The shit has sailed already!
    • We managed to get 5 their mains banned, 7 more still running.
      But they aren't a problem anymore, our accounts are big enough to kick their ass. They can't compete with us on an open ground/water. We are fed up with only one opponent, sadly the others don't stand even close. That's bad for a good gameplay.
      I really miss all that shadow diplomacy with "under-table" contracts and coalitions. Multiple unknown allies and enemies at the same time. Trash talking and schemes. I started to play this game just beacuse of that, only later on it moved to kicking other's armies and caring only about OP list and nothing else.
    • I am glad you people were able to put up a fight. I wish if we were there too. Say hi to my old pal, Satanas!
      Leader of UE Psi Retired Undefeated

Leader of ELITE Apollon Retired Undefeated

Former member of N-F but now in TMM, Rho.

Member and sometimes Saxy General of _UE_, Demeters

Allianceless in Pi.

BLACK in Gaia.

Leader of -W- in Hades

Democratically Elected Chairman of Men Power Council (MPC) in spam section.

The shit has sailed already!
    • Dr. Hannibal Lecter wrote:

It just seems a bit weird that "pay and swap a server'' offer still works totally fine while free option - merge - is out of service.
      I could bore you with a bunch of technical bla bla now :)
      Suffice it to say, that while "merging" a single account from one place to another - while being indeed a similar action and using a bunch of the same functions - may seem like the same thing; they're not. At the end of the day a server merge differs greatly from the server transfer - having to transfer quite some more accounts than just one and having to calculate positions etc. for a whole server instead of just one account are just a few of the differences that come to mind - and not all of them - unfortunately - already work well together with all the things I mentioned in my previous post.

To make a long story short: there are a few loose ends still that need tying up first before we can do server merges again.

Nevertheless, it's on our list, we're aware of it and it's most certainly not forgotten.

As for your suggestion: I'll make sure to forward them and see if there's anything in there the technicians/devs want to adapt. It is however far more likely though that the existing merge functions will merely be fixed and made to work well again rather than making any other bigger changes.

• Also how long do u expect the merge system to be down ? cause as we have mentioed the server needs some quick solutions and id like to know if a merger will be possible some time soon.
      "More hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than in the name of rebellion " ~C. P. Snow

• Only this:

badidol wrote:

Hey there,

we're obviously aware of the fact that many servers could do with a merge.
      However, we currently have no working merging system due to some changes of the past including the new shop system as well as the newer operating system which brought along a newer PHP version which required some changes to the code etc.

Therefore, while we agree that a merge is necessary we currently can not perform any. We're working on that.

Thank you for understanding.
    • Dr. Hannibal Lecter wrote:

But what's your personal opinion on this?
      Well, you've certainly put some thought into it and came up with a well prepared, reasonable argument/suggestion.
      I personally didn't think much was wrong with the merge apart from allowing too many legal multis, something, that - in hindsight - we should've handled differently. We thought we'd be nice and not force people to decide between beloved accounts and so on. Now...in hindsight, I must say, that we were probably a lot more generous by allowing 10 than we should have been. But well, you're always smarter AFTER the fact.

However, I can see the merit of your idea. I'd certainly be willing to consider it, even though for me personally the merge is ok as is.

K1Netic wrote:

Also how long do u expect the merge system to be down ?
      I currently have no further information on this topic, sorry. As soon as I do, it'll be in the news.

• im sending another message to seriously remind everyone that we need this merge. there is literally no one around to fight. its either my allies and like 10 people who i could pillage or fight. this server is going downhill fast. i have 722k points and im 58th in the server. how is that possible. I should at least be below like 150 or 200. seriously disappointed and hope that we can hopefully get a merge happening soon.
    • Dionysos needs merge badly...
      Same as Demeter - noone to trade with, problem with ct's, noone to fight, empty islands, tons of inactives... Boring.
      Dominion [DMn]

Heeding The Call, one and for all
      never surrender, with glory we'll fall
      Brothers unite, let's stand up and fight
      fulfilling our fate, we are Heeding The Call
    • I still don't understand why it isn't possible to give players on these servers a free acc transfer. If high numbers of transfers at the same time are the problem, then why not give it everyday or week to e.g. 50players.
      First top50 then 51-100 etc.
    • Well done Ikariam staff. Demeter is officially dead. people are not even playing anymore from SPQR which is probably the most active alliance (or was) you litteraly just gave up on the server without even trying. thanks for wasting my time on the server. hope noone buys your ambrosias :D