Naval defence building

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Naval defence building

Do you like this suggestion? 18
      Yes (11) 61%
      No (7) 39%
    General Information:
    There is a wall that helps with defending from a land attack so why is there not something similar for sea battles?

What are you suggesting?
    A building called a FORT with a specific unique building spot like the wall but on the sea front like the pirate fortress. The Fort would take up one of the long range bombardment slots(unless it takes up all the slots like the wall) on the battle field and can only be taken out by ranged units.

How will it change the interface/gameplay/battles/system?
    It will allow plays to defend their ports to some extent without the need for a navy

Suggestion Reason:
    There's no real bonus/help when defending your own port unlike land battles where you have use of the wall and can build a really high level wall to put off attacks

Special Notes:

The post was edited 2 times, last by -Hera- ().

• The idea itself is creative and i do appreciate the thought . However its a No from me.

Adding a wall or Fort for sea battles will allow players to defend their ports from enemy Navi without having to maintain a big Navi themselves . all they will need is to upgrade the Fort to the max and place a single balista to keep the enemy ships from occupying the port for a fairly long time . This wouldnt be much of an issue for Land battles but for us navi players, time is of the essence as u probably have the whole alliance waiting for ur green light to land on the island .

This will significantly hurt the impact of actual navi players and will need more changes like changes to ships travel time or ships cost to compensate.
    "More hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than in the name of rebellion " ~C. P. Snow

• A few issues I notice about this from a technical standpoint.

1: You can't designate the fortress to only be destroyed by ranged units unless you give it the armor to withstand hits from Steam Rams, in which case only the first strike would be able to take it on. And if that's done, it would be a very long time before that happened as they fire at the front line first. So that part of the suggestion would be hard to implement and clunky in practice.

2: If the fortress took up ranged slots, it'd get iffy there as if it worked like a ground wall, only 1 fortress would take each slot and that would greatly reduce the defender's firepower. And if you had it work more like mortars but in wall format (so multiple fortresses per slot), you'd have to have an incentive for leveling it up which would either result in overpowered walls for navies young in research or large advanced navies would only be able to win on the defense where they had units far superior to mortars.

The most logical way to fix those issues would be to make it like a ground wall and a frontline slot, but then naval battles would lose some of their unique features to an extent.

I don't play any servers anymore, I'm just here for the spam and
    :xeno: :xeno: :xeno:

badidol wrote:

Dammit, this thing dies darned slowly.

badidol wrote:

Go and check the permissions the Facebook app wants, I dare you
  • I like this idea, but I'd modify it slightly.
    What if the fotress was a unit which you would build in shipyard as a long range ship.
    It would have limited ammo and it would be moderately expensive but it would be stronger than mortar ships. Other difference would be that its speed would be 0 so it can be used only as a defence weapon. If enemy destroys it, you need to build it again like any other ships.
  • contrary

I don't know here, but on the Italian server you can not propose building suggestions (like this).
    Anyway, I would be opposed to stretching the long times of naval battles ... and would also make naval battles too similar to those of the troops.
    in the end ... it would oblige to hold more expensive fleets than it is now
  • I vote yes but with one change. The spot it takes is where the pirate fortress goes. So, you can choose to have a seawall or a pirate fortress but not both. This would also cut down on people jumping their fortress locations without mobiles unless they opt not to have seawalls.
    Num-nums!
  • Pluto wrote:

I fully agree with vergry. That's awesome idea. The "seawall" should not be something increadibly powerful but it should make players think more tactically about what building they want to build there.
    It should be like a great sea chain, like the one the Byzantines used when the Ottomans attacked Constantinopolis, there should be Balistas, Catalputs and Mortars just like the town wall
    Lord Of Demise,
    Proud Member of The Syndicate
  • Hopla wrote:

Once a suggestion is approved, it gets 90 days to be discussed. If your idea is very well received by the Ikariam community and players feels it is merited, then it will be moved to the Reported Suggestions forum. For a suggestion to get into the Reported section, the suggestion must receive more than 80% upvotes, minimum 12 out of 15 votes, after 90 days of being active.

90 Days + have passed unfortunately this community (or any other community at this point in time) have not given enough votes for it to be moved into Reported Suggestions. Therefore, I am going to have to reject this suggestion.

Thank you for your contributions. :)

Want to become an Elite Member? Ask me how..

Thank you FinJambo for my Signature

Board Rules | Support