Further restrict IP sharing: minimum island separation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Further restrict IP sharing: minimum island separation

Do you like this suggestion? 25
        Yes (13) 52%
        No (12) 48%
      General Information:

It's very easy to abuse multiple accounts with IP sharing. I'd like to see that ameliorated by extending IP sharing to the island level.

What are you suggesting?

If you share an IP address not only cannot you access the same island but the cities of different accounts governed by the same IP address must be a certain distance apart. Cities on the same account are not affected. I suggest an initial separation of 4 - that is, roughly, not on the same group of islands - as a starting point but coded this way so as to be changeable in future.

How will it change the interface/gameplay/battles/system?

It will dampen the abuses of multi-accounters.

Suggestion Reason:

There are many ways those with multiple accounts can use those accounts to gain significant advantages, for instance setting up multiple mobiles for miracles and trading posts, attacking an enemy at multiple points simultaneously, generals banks close by, and many more. Preventing someone with multiple accounts from accessing the same island (separation of 1) or group of islands (at modest degrees of separation) with more than one of those accounts will put a brake on that.

Special Notes:

This is probably only implementable after a server merge.
      Alpha: member of Pirate's Cove.
      Beta: Leader of United Galley Slaves.

The post was edited 1 time, last by -Hera- ().

• Imho, never gonna happen. Reasons: too many benefits from it (spent ambrosias for moving towns) and also you can't move / split towns which already are placed on the island.

This train was gone at the moment when the first server mere happened without such limitation.
      Found a bug or think something doesn't work in the game? Don't be afraid and write a ticket or PM me! :)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • I think it would be fairly obvious you apply this rule to all future new servers, eventually rolling into full enforcement over time as servers come and go. (Also good for multi-accounters since they can live their last days of island freedom on older servers, rather than instantly being purged)
      I don't think anyone expects you to retroactively go back to every single server and ban /adjust everyone with multi-accounts abusing this rule currently. It would be unfair. Use old servers as a way to test detection of the new rule and send out a server wide complimentary warning all future servers would no longer allow it.

I also don't get your "too many benefits" reasoning. What benefits? You name one and it doesn't even make sense to me. Are you saying to keep it as it is ... because Gameforge get more Ambrosia purchases? More details would be appreciated.
      I think you in particular have painted yourself fairly obviously as a multi-account defender in the past seeing as you are one yourself. So how can we be sure that's not your real reasoning for voting no?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. If you're voting no because it'll change the way you play the game then so be it. Just don't paint it behind some false facade. I understand multi-accounters would need to change their entire game plan if not abandon most of their multi-accounts entirely. Having fewer accounts but more towns in those accounts so as to have more towns within 4 islands. So if they want to defend their playstyle that's 100% ok.

I voted Yes, because frankly, multi-account abuse is the most disgusting and frankly the biggest incentive to quit playing / not returning to the game i've ever seen from Ikariam in over 7 years. Don't get me wrong, i've been on and off with this game as the seasons go. But i've come back each time due to it's unique charm. This time, i've come back to an absurd amount of multi-account abuse, reports of it, said reports being ignored and then more complaining. It has gotten beyond bad. Finally we might have a solution to this. Something needs to be done and this is a very strong starting move to isolate those multis. No longer will we have 1 player hogging a cluser of islands to himself. He would need to co-operate with an alliance of fellow abusers. Even that is more tolerable and is more in the spirit of the game, it's a team game, not a "Start 15 accounts for yourself and run off to the corner and hide, do everything yourself".

There might even be a drop in reports for multi-account abuse since it'd be harder to identify who owns which multi seeing as they're so far away now.
      GAIA
      UNstoppable [-UN-]
      No positivity allowed anymore.
    • i'm voting yes - multi-accounts has gotten out of hand - most of the servers i'm on on losing players so i can see mergers in the future. so keeping ip address on the same island, same island chain, or separated by one. two, or three island chains is a good idea.

i've seen islands and island chains where half the slots are level one cities that show no growth
    • Voting no, unless GF gives free moves, which is not going to happen.

"On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"
      -Richard Le Gallienne
      "Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing."
    • I voted no, and Kirito pretty much outlines one of the reasons why:

Kirito-kun wrote:

I don't think anyone expects you to retroactively go back to every single server and ban /adjust everyone with multi-accounts abusing this rule currently. It would be unfair.
      If everyone who has already established more than one account on the same island (or nearby) would be effectively immune, what point is there in implementing such a change in the first place? And new players will feel the system is "unfair" and loss of overall population will result. Besides, the ip-sharing rule was initially intended to let those with family play the game on the same network. It's natural for siblings to want to help out each other, and GameForge actively encourages this with the "Invite a friend" rewards.

But, lt's suppose this ban was introduced, and applied retroactively to keep it fair for everyone. All those accounts which would be effected would have to have free city relocation in order to comply with the new rules. While this might not be a problem for those out in the sticks, with lots of empty islands nearby; those in the built up areas would be forced to move miles from their friends.

Additionally, this would not solve the problem in any case. Those who are bending the rules to such an extreme as to completely cover several islands (and I could name a few Alliances who do this, but I won't) would probably just find another way around it in any case.

i'm voting yes - multi-accounts has gotten out of hand - most of the servers i'm on on losing players so i can see mergers in the future. so keeping ip address on the same island, same island chain, or separated by one. two, or three island chains is a good idea.

DeathsTouch wrote:

i've seen islands and island chains where half the slots are level one cities that show no growth
      Yeah, and I've seen similar. But to be fair, I've also seen players who struggle to build their empires for the first few months before they get anywhere, just coz they are unfamiliar with the game.Then there's those who build up a few cities early on, and get stuck coz they planned poorly, and stay stuck for years while they struggle to build up one city at a time. So, just coz you see "no growth" it doesn't necessarily mean it's a multi.

Raider Philosophy: "I steal stuff to build more ships to steal stuff with. Wood doesn't grow on trees"
    • I have two multies sharing my island with my main account. The sole purpose of these multies is to produce wood and donate to the island. I have a forester in each multies town and I donate as much as I possibility can. I worked very hard to get these accounts they way it is.

As mentioned many times in other threads, multi's had to become legal once the servers merged. Now I use these multi's to benefit my primary account. Perfectly legal. If you don't want to put the effort into maintaining a legal multi, that is your choice but to penalize those who have worked hard to make their various accounts viable in a legal manner is unfair.
    • Even if mutlies are legal or not you still can use them to benefit your own account it will just need more teamwork from friends and so on! You can just build up sawmill on the multies for themself and then send the wood to an friend on your island and donate it...

And we say for example you and your friend on your work or school play togheter and have ip-sharing and share an island will then your friends been moved away even if they don't have a big benefit of have a ip-sharing?

The problem with this is that you never know if they are friends who help a friend or if it is a real person who got struggle! Or just multies? How do you gonna know that?

i have seen multies who do 16 hours raids and been build up! You can impossible know if it's a multi or a real player all the time! if the name dosn't make it 100% clear for example Pizza1 and pizza2 and so on!

You have to figure out a way to go around the rules if you playing with friends and are on same island!