Getting started with major assaults

• Getting started with major assaults

I haven't played this game in years and recently got started again.

Got my economy running, 6 well defended cities and a couple of complacent neighbours I wouldn't mind raiding.

Back in the day we had combat calculators. Last topic I could find about it however is: Any combat simulator?
      which refers to a dead site.

I've calculated a couple assaults by hand where I could easily take the losses if I were wrong, but my accuracy is worrying.

What's the modern approach with getting started on planning some decent assaults?
    • I don't think there is a working combat calculator..but you could always ask google.
      If you actually tell us what specifically are you trying to figure out, we may be able to help you...you say "major assaults" and I am thinking huge battles of 50+ rounds...what exactly do you want to calculate?! :huh:

"On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"
      -Richard Le Gallienne
      "Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing."
    • There are plenty of people around with defences not adequate for the resources they carry. So I'm pondering to create a flash force. Create units, go hunting for a week and reduce numbers again. When using the right units, this could be very profitable. When using the wrong units, I spend a lot of time into getting a tiny amount of net benefit.

Another 'problem' is our growing alliance. In time our neighbours will run out of patience with our growth and we need a defence strategy. Simulating against standard attack formations (and not so standard ones but known to be used by the enemy) would be the proper tactic.
    • The units in ika act the same on offense or defence. A hop does same damage attacking or defending...so to say there isn't much difference on which side of the battle you are. Except you can play around in land battle with the wall when defending, but it can play with you as well...so be careful!

Check the guide section..there are at least 2 guides about fighting that a pretty reasonable.

About attacking empty towns I would use spears(don't care if i loose 1-3 on opponent's wall), wall breachers depending on wall size and if you want to be on the safe size gyros, so you don't get surprised by balloonies...

Also never use archers...just wait till you research the guns.

About simulating...just have more units/ships(hopefully upgraded) than the people you attack, don't use silly units/ships(archers, slingers, spears, ballista ships) for killing enemy's troops. And may the FORGE be with you...no seriously...forge is very important when killing pixilated stuff....so always forge up!

-Richard Le Gallienne
      "Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing."
    • If you have a player with allot of Gyro's and Bombs can you simply attack with air units in greater numbers without sending breachers? I want to take his Balloons out before I lose a bunch of mortars on the breach. He has 2:1 Gyro to Balloons.

What is the best approach to loosen up his air units before I lose a bunch or Mortars for the breach. Big wall.

Do you wave air units to keep them from dying?
    • send waves of 1 spear and 60 gyros till you clear all his balloons, then attack with mortars

-Richard Le Gallienne