"Running away"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "Running away"

My views of the use of the white flag and vacation mode.

I feel the need to air my views on something that bugs me and hopefully reduce some of the insults hurled around this game.

Using the retreat button, that wonderful white flag is not a bad thing and it irritates me the number of people who go on about "running away" and being a "coward". The number of times I've received messages along those lines after pulling out of a battle I've been losing is silly. And of course when I retaliate they do exactly the same thing and then wonder why I call them a hypocrite. There is a reason that button exists, so that you can save your brave men from needlessly dying in a battle you are obviously going to lose. There is no shame in admitting you're on the losing side and salvaging what you can, or realising too late that you've charged into a bad situation and it's time to get out. In my opinion it's far more foolish to hang around and get slaughtered than it is to retreat. That's not "running away" that's doing the sensible thing. Sure it's annoying for your attacker who may have hunted you across the world, but you're here to prove you're a worthy ruler, not to feed somebody offence points.

I love trash talk as much as the next person (if not more) but if we could collectively remember that retreating, while it's probably still worthy of a bit of banter, does not make somebody a coward

Vacation Mode on the other hand, now that I believe turly is the cowards way out. That's a button that exists to protect your account when you go to the beaches for two weeks, not to shield yourself from a crushing defeat when your town is surrounded and on fire. If you've got to the point where your army is dying, or you're about to get attacked, take it on the chin and press the aforementioned retreat button. VM is not intended as an escape route and I believe anybody using it as such deserves ridicule. This is a war game, you will lose and if you can't cope with that you should probably be playing something else... even I lose from time to time. Entering VM so that all your towns don't get pillaged and your troops killed when the wolves come knocking, that's bad sportsmanship. I have never used VM to save myself and I never will, because as I've said that's not what it's for.

Rant over.

TL:DR In my opinion: Retreating is fine, VM when you're about to die isn't. Don't mock people for the former, mock them for the latter

• Can't do anything but agree.
    The withdraw button is there and available to all players. If you did your homework you'll know exactly how long it takes your opponent to withdraw, and as such it is by no means unfair. Not only that, but withdrawing adds an hour of traveling time, giving the chasing party plenty of lee way for mistakes.

I've been argumenting for preventing going into vacation mode if enemy units are hitting your cities or your units within at least a couple of hours (slowboating preventing vacation would be unfair, hence the hours).
    While I'm at it I'll just add another two ways of playing that I find to be "the cowards way out". Slowboating and balloon traps.
    First one I'm not going to explain, but using balloon traps first of all is discouraging when it comes to searching for gs, and secondly, winning a combat record because of the 56 gs you win off of a balloon trap I find to be the most obnoxius thing you can do in warfare (or at least right after slowboating and miracle sabotaging).
  • Abeged wrote:

Can't do anything but agree.
    The withdraw button is there and available to all players. If you did your homework you'll know exactly how long it takes your opponent to withdraw, and as such it is by no means unfair. Not only that, but withdrawing adds an hour of traveling time, giving the chasing party plenty of lee way for mistakes.

I've been argumenting for preventing going into vacation mode if enemy units are hitting your cities or your units within at least a couple of hours (slowboating preventing vacation would be unfair, hence the hours).
    While I'm at it I'll just add another two ways of playing that I find to be "the cowards way out". Slowboating and balloon traps.
    First one I'm not going to explain, but using balloon traps first of all is discouraging when it comes to searching for gs, and secondly, winning a combat record because of the 56 gs you win off of a balloon trap I find to be the most obnoxius thing you can do in warfare (or at least right after slowboating and miracle sabotaging).
    Yup I agree with you, that's an excellent idea for VM because if you're actually going on holiday you should have plenty of time to activate VM in advance, even if you have to wait for a pillage to hit, And your idea would prevent cowards from escaping, although as you said you would have to do something about slowboating (whilst this is annoying I guess it is a vaguely legitimate tactic)

• Abeged wrote:

First one I'm not going to explain, but using balloon traps first of all is discouraging when it comes to searching for gs, and secondly, winning a combat record because of the 56 gs you win off of a balloon trap I find to be the most obnoxius thing you can do in warfare (or at least right after slowboating and miracle sabotaging
    My views on vacation mode escape: I don't like facing it although I can imagine that the situation may arise that you simply have no time to be around to manage a battle about to start, with no possibility to escape or press the "retreat" button. Choosing "vacation mode" instead, while not the intended use, could simply be the only solution to "save your men".
    It also stops your own movements, and recalls your displaced troops, which in warfare can also set you a good number of preparation hours back. At the opposite end of the scale, some even use it as an offensive strategy, allowing you to surprise an enemy. Might look cheap, but it is available to everyone, just as the retreat button, so while surely worth a bit of banter, I don't see why it should be open to insults or ridicule. Of note, I don't think I ever used vacation mode for running away from a battle.

Now, regarding balloon traps: Why would that be condemnable? Warfare is not all about heroic charges, but includes guerilla attacks (e.g. think gyro-waves) and all sorts of defensive tactics. Balloon traps belongs there, just as a few others. Annoying, yes, but part of the game.
  • I didn't condemn balloon traps laid waiting in cities, I commented on balloon traps used to win combat reports. The fact that I look down upon these is firstly: They require you to retreat, and secondly: They indicate you were running even thus often times leaving the only reason to leave, is you being outpaced around the battle, turning a lost battle into what seems like a win for the lesser experienced players of the forum.
    Not to say that if you start posting your balloon traps on forum during official war I'll get rather annoyed and start annoying said opponent to the best of my abilities without interfering with the war.

And I disagree with your point of view upon vacation mode. It's there to give people who are actually going on vacation a way out, not to let people abuse it. If we're applying your logic of "it being available to everyone so it's okay" we may as well remove it, because it will be okay. Not saying that'd be bad. Would be fine by me, alternatively, lock the account for 7 days, why not, people usually spend 7 days on an actual vacation. And no, I don't think the 2 day penality is a problem in war. During war it will usually take 4 people 12 hours each to set up a raid, more or less equalling the penality of going in V-Mode, and thus, effectively making up for it.
  • On top of that, with multis, people are able put one account on hold with vm, and attack with another....
    "This Dog with three Heads denotes the past, the present, and the Time to come; which receive, and, as it were, devour all things"

- Zachary Grey (Hudibras)- XVIII century

The post was edited 1 time, last by joylesscato ().