Doctors to troops ratio? Need tips/advice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

  • Doctors to troops ratio? Need tips/advice

    I know i've read it somewhere before, but I am having trouble finding it... I would like to know how many doctors i should have, what is the most cost efficient amount of doctors to troops?

    Any tips or advice will be much appreciated :thumbup:


  • I'm not really sure about the ratio with how many doctors you're supposed to have for your troops but doctors definitively help in long battles. This is a sample of it. The enemy was losing 6 swords more than me per round because of my doctors. :D If you're front line is hops they help reducing losses with them as well. :)
  • cooks are only useful for morale issues. docs heal units ... however, their usefulness in battles has always been questioned.

    I can't really tell you the optimal ratio, or even if a ratio is what matters over an absolute number. What is clear however is that unless you are going into very big battles involving thousands of hoplites+swordsmen, doctors are not really worth it as their hourly cost is very hard to cut back.
    In a long battle involving many rounds (50+) between 2 players, I've noticed a small difference in how many swordsmen ended up dying each round (after a few first rounds of equal strength) which I reckon was due to the presence of 72 docs on one side. (of note, iirc, about the same number of swordsmen were facing each other at the start of the fight).

    I remember reading something about each doc healing 1 injured unit per round (no machine, only humans, i.e. mostly swordsmen, hoplites and spartans if you use them). As the number of not dead but merely injured units at the end of a round is very limited amongst swordsmen and hoplites, the utility isn't great.

    If, and only if, you are planning one of these lengthy battles, have a lot of gold and want to get the best ratio (all other actions for that already being covered), I'd give it a go with about 60 docs.
  • The optimal amount of docs is 40 if the battle is more than 10 rounds.
    less than 10 rounds, 30 is fine.
    doctors help with gyros and swords,
    i use them to help gyros losses.

    I usually go with every 5 rounds +10 doctors.
    • Thinking Nothing. Baseless Thoughts. Let The Darkness In The Cracks Take Over.

    • Lord Of Pillages AKA BadManS.
    • Alpha Player
    • Member Of COM
    • So while the usefullness of doctors has always been subjective (Here's another thing we can test after accuracy), we do know some things about them. For instance. They can only heal human units. This means gyro's get no effect, Steams get no effect, mortars, etc. The place you (might) see a difference is going to be full lines of hops and swords.
    • I don't know why it's doing points on the left.. Anyways, I'd like to believe that doctors make a difference, but I am yet to see proof of it. The picture Pepi sent means nothing, since we have no way of knowing how many swords the player currently on the enemy field had. He may have had just 3 left in reserve at that point, leaving the residual damage to affect him way more than that of Pepi, with 900 left, of which I am fairly certain are his. Do correct me if I'm wrong though, but you tend to fight 14 people at once, and as such I suspect the swords belonging to different people. And for anyone who didn't know. Residual damage only spreads amongst your own units, making the 4k swords in reserve useless unless they all belong to the person on the battlefield currently.
  • While I waged war on the land, I always had a large number of doctors over 60 pieces.


    Now I'm fighting with ships units,but I recommend 50 doctors you have.
    Life is an eternal struggle.
    Who does,he can.Who knows no fear,goes forward.
    V.Z.Misic
  • Abeged wrote:


    • So while the usefullness of doctors has always been subjective (Here's another thing we can test after accuracy), we do know some things about them. For instance. They can only heal human units. This means gyro's get no effect, Steams get no effect, mortars, etc. The place you (might) see a difference is going to be full lines of hops and swords.
    • I don't know why it's doing points on the left.. Anyways, I'd like to believe that doctors make a difference, but I am yet to see proof of it. The picture Pepi sent means nothing, since we have no way of knowing how many swords the player currently on the enemy field had. He may have had just 3 left in reserve at that point, leaving the residual damage to affect him way more than that of Pepi, with 900 left, of which I am fairly certain are his. Do correct me if I'm wrong though, but you tend to fight 14 people at once, and as such I suspect the swords belonging to different people. And for anyone who didn't know. Residual damage only spreads amongst your own units, making the 4k swords in reserve useless unless they all belong to the person on the battlefield currently.

    the first picture i posted was a 1 vs 1. :)



    This picture for example was round 13 of the same fight. It does show here that there are 3 attackers but JOSH and eijipe only sent cooks and spears so they'd see the round by round action of the HoF. :)
    I noticed that as the fight dragged on the damage difference between our swords increased.
  • An interesting picture to be honest.
    I've got no way of explaining why there's a difference in losses though. Both of your unit stacks are shown to be on 100%, meaning the units of next round should be of 100% on both sides, again meaning there should be no difference. I've seen it happen before plenty of times before though, I just can't explain it. I suppose the little health swords have means that the residual damage will almost always be enough to kill another sword, or if not, the damage is so little it doesn't even come close to equaling 1%. Well I don't suppose that, that would be a fact. Still doesn't explain the damage difference. Are his units by any chance on 99% and yours on 100%?
  • The normal assumption is that doctors only help human troops,

    but I have noticed doctors do help with Gyro losses, The difference is very noticeable from early on in the rounds. I don't know the mathematics around it, It's just from my observation from countless battles,
    e.g.
    round 1 both players lose 13 gyros from each block. att pl- 20 docs, def pl - 40 docs, both forged,
    the next round, pl1 wil lose 15 gyros in each block, pl2 losses 14 gyros in each block....
    next round.. pl1 - 17 in each block, pl2 - 15 in each block, and so on....
    there will come an equilibrium where pl1 losses 22 gyros in each block and pl2 losses 18 gyros.

    someone can correct me if i'm wrong, But it just seemed like to me that the losses are proportional.
    • Thinking Nothing. Baseless Thoughts. Let The Darkness In The Cracks Take Over.

    • Lord Of Pillages AKA BadManS.
    • Alpha Player
    • Member Of COM

    The post was edited 1 time, last by DarkxBadManS ().

  • Doctors do not heal gyros, they are machines and I never seen it happened.
    20 doctors per battle will save u 4 swords per round. So depending on how many battles u plan to have simultaneously + considering risk of colossus..build docs accordingly.

    "On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"
    -Richard Le Gallienne
    "Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing."
  • No waving tactics, just sent all in and see what will happen.
    Forgot to mention that in second and third CR screenshot was two attackers with equal count of units and one defender, but in first CR screenshot was one attacker and one defender.
    If there would be unit waving then I'm sure that results would be different than this.


    The scariest monsters are the ones, that lurk within our souls.
  • I don't fight without forge, so I have no clue about that situation :D

    "On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"
    -Richard Le Gallienne
    "Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing."