Who would likely win this port battle?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Who would likely win this port battle?

So I'm planning an attack on a Level 14 town and I know I'd win the land battle but I'm not sure with the port battle because I know I have the better boats but he has the numbers... So the port battle would be my 21 fire ships against his 82 ram ships and 10 Ballista ships... The reason I'm not sure is I know fire ships 1-for-1 would destroy rams on the frontline but I won't fill his frontline with 21 and he has enough rams to also have 7 ships on the flanks where they belong... would I be likely to win this battle if I took him on?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sandman96 ().

• To open the battle of the formations should be like this
    84 flame / 35 steam boats
    36 rams
    25 submarines / 15 rocket ships
    30 pedal bags
    6 balloon carriers
    42 mortars
    Take these units in every round as soon as they enter the battle, but for each next round you are sending a new formation, but you have to be careful to arrive on time. You are rotating the mortars especially because they have ammunition for 5 rounds. You can send an item in combination with rocket ships, especially if the opponent has only steam in the first line.

Regardless of whether your opponent has heffs or not, it is crucially important to insert fresh ships in each round and pull rotations on time. If you do not pull the rotation and insert a new one, you have not done anything, because ships already in combat are bothering new ships and new ones do not enter the battle until the old ones are withdrawn or submerged.

You will not win.
    Life is an eternal struggle.
    Who does,he can.Who knows no fear,goes forward.
    V.Z.Misic
  • kirby k2 wrote:

To open the battle of the formations should be like this
    84 flame / 35 steam boats
    36 rams
    25 submarines / 15 rocket ships
    30 pedal bags
    6 balloon carriers
    42 mortars
    Take these units in every round as soon as they enter the battle, but for each next round you are sending a new formation, but you have to be careful to arrive on time. You are rotating the mortars especially because they have ammunition for 5 rounds. You can send an item in combination with rocket ships, especially if the opponent has only steam in the first line.

Regardless of whether your opponent has heffs or not, it is crucially important to insert fresh ships in each round and pull rotations on time. If you do not pull the rotation and insert a new one, you have not done anything, because ships already in combat are bothering new ships and new ones do not enter the battle until the old ones are withdrawn or submerged.

You will not win.
    Ah I just wasn't sure if due to having superior frontline ships whether my fire ships could destroy enough of his rams on the frontline to pull them off the flanks at which point then it'd become a question of can the combination of his ballistas and inferior frontline ships hold against my lower numbers of superior frontline ships
  • Sandman96 wrote:

Ah ok, what about if I bulked out my frontline to reach the 75 necessary fire ships since he'd still have a very weak frontline?
    Then I things, that you would win, if only he don't get backup, because fireships have stronger attack and better armors than rams. But more likely you or enemy would run out of moral and ships would spread out of battle before all ships would be destroyed.

The scariest monsters are the ones, that lurk within our souls.
  • There's an answer to any question, don't just go with maybe, perhaps and "do this".

You're saying it would take you 75 ships to fill out the frontline. This is false. I am assuming you are looking at the 8+ sea battleplan in the ingame help tab. The numbers here are incorrect and based on a single unit. The amount varies based on every ship. As far as I remember the number is 7 ships per slot, 5 slots. This means that the maximum amount of flames you could have in at any one time is 35.
    Now I don't remember how many rams you can have in one slot but my best guess would be 5. This number is the same for the front as it is for the flank.
    So the amount of ships your opponent will have is: 5*5+2*5 = 35 rams. This means that even if you oneshot his entire line you will still need at least 3 rounds to kill all of his ships.

Now who would win.

(I will assume you have 35 flames/a full line)
    (I will also assume no upgrades and no forge)

The flank and the ranged line will attack before the front.

Balista ship:
    HP: 154
    DMG: 28
    True DMG vs flames: 20

Ram ship:
    HP: 154
    DMG: 75
    True DMG vs flames: 67

As I said, the flank and ranged line hits first. Reducing the damage you will deal. Let's calculate that first.

Balista dmg:
    True DMG * amount of ships
    20*10 = 200 true DMG

Flanks:
    67*10 = 670 true DMG

DMG to front before allied dmg calculation: 200+670 = 870 dmg

Frontline:
    67*25 = 1675 true DMG

Total dmg: 2545

Your dmg:

Flame ship:
    HP: 219
    DMG: 82
    True DMG vs rams: 73

First let's calculate how many (if any) flames you loose before first hit.

Let's start with the balistas. Each balista will hit one ship, equally split amongst your front. So, 200/5 = 40 dmg to one ship in each stack. HP left = 219-40 = 179
    Now the flanks. Their damage also will be split evenly. 670/5 = 134 dmg. HP left = 179-134 = 45 HP.

So you won't loose any ships before your damage is calculated. Thus we can calculate your damage.

(Number of flames * true dmg).
    35*73 = 2555.

You have 7 ships in each stack doing damage to ships split in 5 stacks. This means the two center stacks gets hit twice by each stack, and the reminder gets hit once.

First the center rams (of his). 73*2*5 = 730 dmg

A ram has 154 HP. 730/154 = 4.74. He will loose 4 ships and take severe damage to the last one in slot 1 and 2.

The remaining 3 stacks: 73*5 = 365 dmg. 365/154 = 2.37. He will loose 2 and take moderate damage to the remaining stack.

This leaves him with a total loss of: 4*2+2*3 = 14 ships.

Now the damage you will be taking. All of his damage is coming from stacks of 5, so it will be evenly split. This means every stack of yours is taking 5 hits. Remember you've already taken damage.

5*67 = 335 dmg to each stack.

(335+174)/219 = 2.32. You will loose 2 ships of each stack, taking moderate damage to the remaining ships.

Total loss: 2*5 = 10 ships.

Based on this we can calculate how many rounds it would take you to wipe his fleet using only flames.
    Assuming your line is always full we know your damage will be consistent.

He has 82 rams. It takes him 35 to fill his line completely. Until he goes beyond this point his damage (and thus also yours) will stay consistent.

82-35 = 47. 47/14 = 3.35. This means that for 3 rounds you will see no change in the damage dealt. On the fourth he will have 14*4 = 56-47 = 9 ships too little to fill out his line. This means he will only have 1 ship in the flank. Reducing your damage taken by 603. This damage is split among all of your stack, meaning each stack will take 603/5 = 120.6 less damage. Your last ship had taken: 219*0.32 = 70 dmg. Meaning this would be made up for, with an additional 50 dmg to spare. This means you will loose 1 ship less per stack. This will last for 1 round since you will now reduce his damage even further. I could go on but again, I'm not being paid to do so.

Estimated losses: 10*3+5+3+1 = 39 ships.

Minimum ships required to retain estimated loss: 39+35 = 74 flame ships.

And don't bother sending them in fresh. It makes little to no difference when fighting with the amount of ships you do. You would loose 1-2 ships less but would require enough ships for 3 full front lines. Making the minimum ships required 35*3 = 105. An increase of 31 ships to save, at best, 2 ships. Consider where you spend your time in the earlygame.