Is it worth to restart the game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Is it worth to restart the game?

I`ve just started to play the game and my capital appeared in an island with sulfur as the secondary resource. Is it possible/worth to delete my account and set off a new game on an island with, say, marble?
    • I would say no.

Getting a random starting island is part of the game. It's practically cheating if you just go and make a new account so you can have an advantage by getting marble.

If you really don't like the sulphur island, though... build up a palace to make a colony on a marble island, then move your capital and scrap the sulphur!
    • Im with you that Sulphur aint the best of starting islands. If you really feel it would be worth it you can delete your account, I think its 7 days or something before it gets removed. Then start again(I think that is ok to do, correct me if Im wrong). OR you can just simply start on another server. Dont forget to delete the island you wont play though.
    • If it is not against any rule, then it is not cheating whatsoever. I just want a capital in any island, except sulfur, because i fell i don`t need it for at least a couple of weeks.
      EDIT: Thanks Konung you mentioned that! Any difference amongst servers, or is it no big deal which one to choose?

The post was edited 3 times, last by kaserx ().

• Originally posted by kaserx
      If it is not against any rule, then it is not cheating whatsoever. I just want a capital in any island, except sulfur, because i fell i don`t need it for at least a couple of weeks.
      EDIT: Thanks Konung you mentioned that! Any difference amongst servers, or is it no big deal which one to choose?

The only difference I can think of would be that there is different amount of players, so Kappa and Lambda should have the least players and should therefor be the easiest to catch up on.
    • Technically even a sulphur island can trade for other resources - perhaps at an inferior price but still.

Alternatively you could also pillage an inactive (be sure that he or she can be managed if he or she returns ^_~

I started out on a crystal island myself. Quickly ran into stagnation but the trading post (and a little 'ahem' inactive hunting) helped me to get back on track. ^^

You face a challenge? Overcome it! (or start over I guess)

GAME FORGE!
      Please reconsider your permanent ban practices!

:!: Contribute to & Vote on: :!:
      (Suggestion: The lit match has been dropped. Its too late now... :thumbdown: )
    • I started on a sulphur island, managed to get a colony up within the first couple days. Didn't even move my capital, it's still the sulphur island town, although I have 4 towns total now.

Starting on a sulphur island isn't too bad, what is critical is that your first colony be on a marble island. You can get a level 1 palace built and start a colony with just wood, but once you're at that point you're going to start needing alot of marble for all your other buildings.
    • I really wish people would stop badmouthing sulfur so much. It's the constant "sulfur sucks" that leads to people like the OP wanting to abandon their sulfur colonies.

I had a hard time starting on sulfur, but NOT because it was sulfur. Do you know how much it sucks to start on an island and watch everybody else go inactive? I didn't know why at the time, since this is my first game, but now I know it's because everyone advises that sulfur is so bad.

I never had trouble trading with people. I never had trouble getting what I needed. On the few occasions that I was low on something and didn't have enough to trade, I just went and took it. With my sulfur I took tons of marble, wine, and crystal.

IMHO, all the people who say sulfur sucks are poor players. People who think sulfur is worthless, who won't trade for it, or advise people to start elsewhere don't realize the POWER of the dark si... er, sulfur.

I started on a sulfur island. I am the most powerful player in my island cluster. I am wealthier than everyone around me and, in fact, am taking a break for a few days from pillaging to upgrade my Warehouses. Why? Because they're full.

EDIT: and my first colony was wine. I was able to take enough marble to meet my needs, but the wine really helped me grow quickly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cloudman ().

• I buy sulphur for 10-12 every day. I have never bought marble for that. I was lucky enough to get a marble as my 1st, but it is only a 10 level and the mill is a 12. I am going to try to motivate others for an upgrade, but there are only 8 towns on it as it is.
    • Originally posted by The_Game
      I buy sulphur for 10-12 every day. I have never bought marble for that. I was lucky enough to get a marble as my 1st, but it is only a 10 level and the mill is a 12. I am going to try to motivate others for an upgrade, but there are only 8 towns on it as it is.

Perhaps so but sulphur is almost the only way to get some military resistance going - short of creating slinger hoards of doom... or waiting for dive boats. ;cP

Sulphur is underappreciated on the market - generally. But if you're in a pinch you'd better have sulphur!

GAME FORGE!

• To Cloudman: Take it easy man, i`m not saying ''sulfur sucks''. You can`t deny it is a bit bigger challenge to have your capital in sulf. island, especially for me, who has played this game for 36 hours. It`s my choice to face it or restart. And you can do whatever you want, i`m not gonna say that`s wrong.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kaserx ().

• It is generally accepted that marble is essential to have within the first colony - but I have come to understand that different 'luxury' goods entail different styles to ensure a good start. The following is my personal take on how I'd play it:

Marble - Wine - Sulphur - Crystal

Sulphur - Marble - Wine - Crystal

Wine - Marble - Sulphur - Crystal

Crystal - Marble - Sulphur - Wine

This is definitely not a fixed progression of course and its possible to 'skip' a resource and trade - but it could either be a construction game (marble), a combat game (sulphur) or a trade game (any other than sulphur perhaps) (and these were just opinions of luxury goods best suited for such).

You can also message persons from other islands simply asking if they are willing to do 1:1 or 2:1 if you're getting desperate ^^

Plenty of options...

GAME FORGE!

• I think the option of having wine as 1st and marble as second resource is quite OK too. Wine raises happiness, that rises growth, that creates new working hands faster, that permits you achieve anything you want faster. :]
    • i wouldnt be too worried about starting on a sulphur island.

i did, and although i hate bragging, i class myself pretty highly overall.
      people tend to listen to people with big armies. so pillage the marble you need early on, and get up to be able to get a marble colony
    • Originally posted by kaserx
      It`s my choice to face it or restart. And you can do whatever you want, i`m not gonna say that`s wrong.

Of course it's your choice, I'm not saying you're wrong. My ire wasn't directed towards you. It's just that so many people say that sulfur sucks, to such an extent, that over and over I see people abandoning sulfur colonies the instant they get them.

Every island has its share of (i) and (v), but if you think sulfur is more of a challenge, consider how much more challenging it is with fewer island-mates than others to help with the mines. People abandon and give up sulfur colonies without even trying, because so many people are down on sulfur. THAT'S what bothers me.
      Only through trade. If you can't trade the wine for marble and crystal, you can't build buildings and academies.
      It`s not that bad if you have your first colony near marble.
      OK. So if it's not that bad, then why did you start this thread?
      Man read the first post! I was on sulfur island at first (but now i`m on wine). I`m just giving an opinion on having a wine as the first recourse.