Game is dying (probable repost)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Game is dying (probable repost)

This can't just be me - but it appears as if corruption has killed off a LARGE percentage existing players - and its only partially implemented. Most of the islands around me are full of inactives and new guys don't last very long either.

In addition, I would say the game stagnates with ridiculously exponential building costs as you expand to higher level buildings. The only thing that really keeps me going is pillaging/trying to break alliances with my fellow warriors. Even at that, the combat system is flawed. Siege units don't work, defense bonuses (walls) are never removed even as the wall is breached, and I've seen some ridiculous defense numbers requiring an absurd amount of attack.

Just felt like ranting and voicing my general discontent with the game.

:spam:
    • I'm not sure if it is corruption (but it probably has something to do with it, as well as the inactive wipe) but on my server, on June 6th on versin 0.2.4, there were 15,800 accounts registered. That number has been dropping, and now there are 13,800 accounts registered, a decrease of about 13%. I do notice there are less people around to interact with. :(
      Cranky Old Man
    • I don't feel its 100% the corruption, however I do think its dealt a decisive blow to many who were "on the fence". More so than losing the newbies, I'm shocked to see some of the bigger, established players in my area go inactive. I like this game, but its painful to see it slowly going downhill as so many players leave.
    • One of the things i find so funny is the Mods here who can only post things like " the devs are working on it" or my personal favorite by Cooolo70 " the Devs dont read these threads so its useless to make topics like this" ..... thanks Cooolo70.(and yes i know i am going to get a trolling warning for saying that) From what i can gather, Gameforge has implemented things like corruption and such to "slow down" the big players.... thats a good incentive guys way to go on that one... yes the game is dying and i think the idea for the Devs is that they dont care if 90% of the people quite if they can get the 10% that stay to pay for ambrosia and make a little profit they are ahead. That is a poor business plan but it appears that is what they have decided to do.
    • I think part of the problem is communication. There seems to be little communication between Gameforge staff and the people who are actually running the day-to-day of the game. I'm talking about the GOs and the forum mods. A case in point is the confusion about whether in-game greek city names are acceptable or whether they violate the English-only forum policy. Another case in point is the recent update which appears to have touched several major game systems, yet wasn't communicated to our server at all.

I can only sympathize with the operators and moderators who are trying to hold things together with little support from the developers.

I'd be curious to see some numbers from the different servers. I'm wondering whether the population on .org is larger or smaller than the population on .de. More importantly, who's paying the most for the game? .de or .org. I'm aware that the game is not popular on the .com servers so I would imagine that .de and .org are the top 2?

Either way - some attention should be paid to the international servers and I think the game would be improved with better communication from the devs.
    • Yes..you are right..many people are leaving because of corruption issues..or because this game just has too many bugs and whatnot.
      But i see no reason to quit. In fact, i think this game is quite addicting if your rank is high and you have a formidable army to crush others with. :sm:
      not to mention if your in an awesome alliance..
      its mostly small players that are quitting..though a couple large ones are as well
      that just means more idle people to raid for me :rockon:
    • that being said this game does need to spice up a little
      something new would be great.
      like actually getting to view battles?
      some more uses for sulhpur?
      actually implementing those new buildings?
      make wars NOT pointless somehow?
    • azninvazn wrote:

Aye aye, brother. I'm personally hoping all these "emperors" who are whining about things quit as well. Maybe then the flood of tears from these weaklings might cease, and this forum could go back to being discussion amongst real emperors. What keeps these discussions going? Is it the notion that the Gods might listen to them and their insults, and then grant favor to those who never heeded their warnings in the first place? Please.

You grew too fast, faster than was intended -- you thought it was because you were ultra competitive. Alas, it was because you built a shell empire -- ignoring supports to prevent this new disease, even when being warned of it well in advance. 'Do I build these governors residences or get my 7th city? Well...I'll worry about it later'. 'Later' arrives, and rather than acknowledging your errors and doing whatever you need to do (be it drop one of your 7 colonies, or quit the game), you take to coming here and crying.

This truly is the deadest horse of deadest horses. But I am enjoying the level 12 port of the "ultra competitive" player next door to me who has abandoned his shell empire.

Clearly just the opinions of a now wealthier than ever pirate.
    • ikariampirate wrote:

azninvazn wrote:

Aye aye, brother. I'm personally hoping all these "emperors" who are whining about things quit as well. Maybe then the flood of tears from these weaklings might cease, and this forum could go back to being discussion amongst real emperors. What keeps these discussions going? Is it the notion that the Gods might listen to them and their insults, and then grant favor to those who never heeded their warnings in the first place? Please.

You grew too fast, faster than was intended -- you thought it was because you were ultra competitive. Alas, it was because you built a shell empire -- ignoring supports to prevent this new disease, even when being warned of it well in advance. 'Do I build these governors residences or get my 7th city? Well...I'll worry about it later'. 'Later' arrives, and rather than acknowledging your errors and doing whatever you need to do (be it drop one of your 7 colonies, or quit the game), you take to coming here and crying.

This truly is the deadest horse of deadest horses. But I am enjoying the level 12 port of the "ultra competitive" player next door to me who has abandoned his shell empire.

Oh so agreed... right to the point mate. :respect:
      These so called emperors do make a fine donation to my town hall. Only if i could have gone "deer hunting" and have their heads framed on the wall.
      I have to admit, i did "forget" to update GR's a bit, but just a bit, so this really didnt come as a big blow to me. It kinda helped me decide something... have a leechperor on the isle, and well....i think he will quit soon, couse i so need his resources :):)

THE GAME IS IN DEVELOPMENT PEOPLE. who ever didn't realise that, shouldn't be playing it. when something is categorised as being in development, it means they can restructure any part of the code or write it from zero. we are all beta testers?!?! agree to it, and stop whining.

:woot: im off to get a bit more wealth

ta ta
      Alex

p.s. @ikariampirate, ur blog is great. too bad ur not on delta, would love to have someone like you in alli
    • ikariampirate wrote:

azninvazn wrote:

Ikariampirate.. how often do you update your chronicles.. that is good stuff
    • Gin Ichimaru wrote:

THE GAME IS IN DEVELOPMENT PEOPLE. who ever didn't realise that, shouldn't be playing it. when something is categorised as being in development, it means they can restructure any part of the code or write it from zero. we are all beta testers?!?! agree to it, and stop whining.
      Gameforce let's people pay for ambrosia, so this is no beta anymore, imo. U don't testdrive a car and pay for it...
      But servers are getting empty, what is Gameforce gonna do to the keep the cashflow going?
    • I suspect that bugged siege engines is having an effect as well. With no way of cancelling out a wall's bonus the big players with plenty of troops and a high level wall can sit safely with almost no risk of loosing a fight.
      The result is that the big players don't take each other on any more, certainly on Eta alliance wars have changed from the biggest players slogging it out to a game of seeing how many of their smaller opponents you can force to quit the game.
    • bofh wrote:

Gin Ichimaru wrote:

Gameforce let's people pay for ambrosia, so this is no beta anymore, imo. U don't testdrive a car and pay for it...
      But servers are getting empty, what is Gameforce gonna do to the keep the cashflow going?

i can give u more than one reason why this is false... more than one famous parfume is asking u to pay to get their small 5ml testers... etc etc (im not saying gameforge is famous, dont get me wrong that im backing them up) its just that too many ppl complain over a game that is in beta

alex
    • Gin Ichimaru wrote:

its just that too many ppl complain over a game that is in beta
      Don't you think all the people complaining over the game and the hordes of people leaving are related?!
      If this game is still in beta, the devs and gameforge have a golden oportunity to make this game work, with a healthy (paying) community...
      But i fear this chance is not going to be taken.....
    • bofh wrote:

Gin Ichimaru wrote:

its just that too many ppl complain over a game that is in beta
      Don't you think all the people complaining over the game and the hordes of people leaving are related?!
      If this game is still in beta, the devs and gameforge have a golden oportunity to make this game work, with a healthy (paying) community...
      But i fear this chance is not going to be taken.....

err a bit wrong mate...
      new ppl have a nice chance to play and work it out... majority of ppl who are whimpering are old seldom players who didnt pay attention to corruption... whts the big deal with it? i managed to get it under control in a week, week and a half.

about that chance not happening, i share ur opinion, but not on the same reason. im a paying customer, and yet i have the little sunshine military advisor in the corner for 2 months now.
      gameforge is slow on bug sorting.
      and another thing, just that it doesnt turn out im defending them, this silent update remade A LOT of things, and should have been anounced.

that said
      ta ta
      Alex
    • Mithrandir wrote:

azninvazn wrote:

Until they get deleted, that is...

And then your islands are empty and no one donates.

Brilliant plan there, chief.

Who cares if no one donates?
      If you depend on your island to get you resources..you wont get very high ranked in this game
      You must raid people to get resources, or trade at the very LEAST. and raiding is way more fun. :sm:
      that just means youll have to raid active people too...i dont see a problem with that 8o
      btw gin ichimaru, my name is Alex too!

-azn
    • azninvazn wrote:

that just means youll have to raid active people too...i dont see a problem with that 8o
      btw gin ichimaru, my name is Alex too!

-azn

howdy

well i dont c a problem there either ^^, be diplomatic with ur neighbours... to the moment when they stop being stronger than you.
      than diplomatise them to hell :))

p.s. mine is Alexandar. alex for short

ta ta
    • Gin Ichimaru wrote:

and another thing, just that it doesnt turn out im defending them, this silent update remade A LOT of things, and should have been anounced.
      Here here. When i came back after a 4 day vacation i was confused with all the additions, but could not find a single thread about them. I have the new scores(and how its not the same in embassies), and the constant ads for Plus. I guess GameForge must be getting desperate ;)