Adjustable taxes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Adjustable taxes

This would affect the happiness and income in your towns.

You would be able be able to tax your people little, giving you a low income but a boost happiness by a xxx amount. :D
    You would be able be able to tax your people the normal amount and get no boost of happiness. :|
    You would be able be able to tax your people a lot, giving you a high income but a decrease happiness by a xxx amount. X(

I think this could be implemented as a option in the town hall or as a new building.

• OP, how do you feel each level of tax would suit different players and circumstances players may have?

Please explain why your idea would be good for the game ^^
  • I can help with this one I think!!
    Player 1 has 4 lvl 20 towns but he has lvl 16 tavern and lvl 8 museum He has alot of military but he can support more troops than his towns people can pay for so he turns his wine wide open and taxes the people more so he can still have people mining and doing researh while affording alittle more military.

Player 2 has 4 lvl 20 towns but no one likes him or alot of people that he has treaties with becomes inactive so he doesnt have enough cultural treaties he does little to no taxes on his citizens to help keep them happy. and his town can still mine lots and make very little money!!

Player 3 Noob doesnt no what to build build very big town hall but first town is a sulpher Island so no one wants his sulpher and everyone wants lots of cash for their wine he luckily has 1 guy that has marble that wanted sulpher so he could build that big town hall. But he can grow because he has no wine he taxes them less so the town will grow. And he can mine the wood and the sulpher and sell it to make money to afford the wine!!

Player 4 Has no problems but then that 5th town then that dreaded major corruption he is losing citizens left and right he cant lose his citizens it took to long to get them but he has plenty of cash on hand so he offers little or no tax so that the towns people stay happy and dont leave till he can get that 5th town up to par!!

Player 5 Has no major problems but he is at war. He is running out of towns people to build troops with. So he turns the tax off so his populous will grow faster!! So he can stay in the fight!!

Player 6 is some what new to the game but he has a few towns. All of his Islands have low lvl mills so he doesnt need as many people so he increases the taxes to get more cash to buy the materials he needs to build up his towns of course he would have to have nice lvl taverns and museums for that.

Player 7 has 4 towns 1 of each he has no need for sulpher any more and his towns are all full and he has plenty of happiness he taxes more because he is a greedy greedy guy!!

These are some examples I could think of!! :hm:
  • Yeah I Think This Would Be A Great Addition To Ikariam Users. It Provides More Of A Realistic Feeling Of Controlling Your Town And It Can Play A Big Factor. I Have To Give Pain Props For Thinking Of This. :gj:
  • well, wouldn't this sort of not really do anything, i mean, eventually people will start calculating and they will figure out that the wine they serve to increase the happiness to replace the satisfaction lost from over taxing is not worth it, or is worth it. so overall wouldn't it be simpler to adjust the income of per citizen instead of making it adjustable? unless I'm missing an important part >.>
  • Coooolo70 wrote:

OP, how do you feel each level of tax would suit different players and circumstances players may have?

Please explain why your idea would be good for the game ^^

:agree: I do agree i should have explained it better. This would be an option where a player can tax the people about 0-10 gold an hour. About 4 gold an hour would be normal and would not affect your normal income or happiness. This would allow people to better adjust the way they play the game based on the situations they are in.
    Like these ones bellow.

Pain wrote:

I can help with this one I think!!
    Player 1 has 4 lvl 20 towns but he has lvl 16 tavern and lvl 8 museum He has alot of military but he can support more troops than his towns people can pay for so he turns his wine wide open and taxes the people more so he can still have people mining and doing researh while affording alittle more military.

Player 2 has 4 lvl 20 towns but no one likes him or alot of people that he has treaties with becomes inactive so he doesnt have enough cultural treaties he does little to no taxes on his citizens to help keep them happy. and his town can still mine lots and make very little money!!

Player 3 Noob doesnt no what to build build very big town hall but first town is a sulpher Island so no one wants his sulpher and everyone wants lots of cash for their wine he luckily has 1 guy that has marble that wanted sulpher so he could build that big town hall. But he can grow because he has no wine he taxes them less so the town will grow. And he can mine the wood and the sulpher and sell it to make money to afford the wine!!

Player 4 Has no problems but then that 5th town then that dreaded major corruption he is losing citizens left and right he cant lose his citizens it took to long to get them but he has plenty of cash on hand so he offers little or no tax so that the towns people stay happy and dont leave till he can get that 5th town up to par!!

Player 5 Has no major problems but he is at war. He is running out of towns people to build troops with. So he turns the tax off so his populous will grow faster!! So he can stay in the fight!!

Player 6 is some what new to the game but he has a few towns. All of his Islands have low lvl mills so he doesnt need as many people so he increases the taxes to get more cash to buy the materials he needs to build up his towns of course he would have to have nice lvl taverns and museums for that.

Player 7 has 4 towns 1 of each he has no need for sulpher any more and his towns are all full and he has plenty of happiness he taxes more because he is a greedy greedy guy!!

These are some examples I could think of!! :hm:

Pain, thank you for explaining some of the situations Adjustable Taxes can be used in.

If anyone is still confused about this I wil define it better.
  • Why would taxes give a happiness bonus in the first place? :hm:

I think that it should just be - happiness and just a bit more income from taxes, but the higher the taxes, the more happiness is taken off.
  • Halskarim wrote:

Why would taxes give a happiness bonus in the first place?

To get extra happiness from taxes does not mean just no taxes at all. It means that instead of collecting taxes you pay your citizens. Happens in several PC games like for instance Stronghold. Do not really see that there is much use for it here tough. Never had any problems filling my mines after the starting period and i do not really see any use paying for additional citizens. Getting taxes is the only reason to increase the population as far as i see it.
  • BrutusBrutus wrote:

Halskarim wrote:

To get extra happiness from taxes does not mean just no taxes at all. It means that instead of collecting taxes you pay your citizens. Happens in several PC games like for instance Stronghold. Do not really see that there is much use for it here tough. Never had any problems filling my mines after the starting period and i do not really see any use paying for additional citizens. Getting taxes is the only reason to increase the population as far as i see it.

That's a good suggestion.
  • I really like the idea of adjustable taxes. On the other hand, their is a mathematical problem which arises.
    Here is the model my argument is based on:
    1 - People have more citizens then necessary to max out the mines. (Most cases)
    2 - Max population >> Max total happiness (Town hall 24 is feasible and offers more place then tavern 16- museum 8 can fill)

What follows from this model :

Every extra citizen contributes gold. (G = 4)
    Happiness contributes to extra citizens. (H = 1)
    Therefore, if we allow to manipulate G and H, it will only allow for a new equilibrium:
    i.e. G*H = total gold

Conclusion : The optimization level is the same for every player.

Suggestion : Affect mine ratios / corruption by lowering taxes.
  • BrutusBrutus wrote:

Halskarim wrote:

Yes I'm reminded of the Stronghold tax mechanic here. In Stronghold, if you have a really nice town you can charge and arm and a leg in taxes and people will still live in your town, but if your town is bad you can use your excess gold (which you hopefully have) to pay people so they'll stay anyway. Such a mechanic would be very useful in Ikariam.
  • akuyume wrote:

BrutusBrutus wrote:

Halskarim wrote:

Yes I'm reminded of the Stronghold tax mechanic here. In Stronghold, if you have a really nice town you can charge and arm and a leg in taxes and people will still live in your town, but if your town is bad you can use your excess gold (which you hopefully have) to pay people so they'll stay anyway. Such a mechanic would be very useful in Ikariam.

another good idea
  • it does lead to a very "civ IV-esque" type addition... in most games like this (actual PC games, not browser based), you can somehow adjust taxes... it just adds another level of micromanagement, and I think it would make a very nice addition to the game =)
  • YoshiWonKenobi wrote:

I really like the idea of adjustable taxes. On the other hand, their is a mathematical problem which arises.
    Here is the model my argument is based on:
    1 - People have more citizens then necessary to max out the mines. (Most cases)
    2 - Max population >> Max total happiness (Town hall 24 is feasible and offers more place then tavern 16- museum 8 can fill)

What follows from this model :

Every extra citizen contributes gold. (G = 4)
    Happiness contributes to extra citizens. (H = 1)
    Therefore, if we allow to manipulate G and H, it will only allow for a new equilibrium:
    i.e. G*H = total gold

Conclusion : The optimization level is the same for every player.

Suggestion : Affect mine ratios / corruption by lowering taxes.
    The point is that the equilibrium point would change for each expansion of the town hall, for each additional museum upgrade. There are hundreds of possibilities.
  • I love this idea, It's actually quite simple the way I imagine this could work. A tax bar would be added to your town hall, by default the current tax rate would be 4, which has 0 effect on the satisfaction. When you lower taxes, satisfaction increases by X% and when you increase satisfaction goes down X%. Percentage would be tied to town hall level. There are many uses for this, a passive player could keep taxes lower to support more civs for work and not have to mine so much wine to maintain a happy civilization, an aggressive player could charge more from their population and support a larger army to earn more resources in loot. Either way you give the player the ability to control his method of expansion.

The only problem I can see this creating would be people lowering taxes so they could go weeks at a time without logging in to keep their towns happy which is not in the interest of the game creators.
  • NewRelic wrote:

The only problem I can see this creating would be people lowering taxes so they could go weeks at a time without logging in to keep their towns happy which is not in the interest of the game creators

The happiness wouldn't increase that much...