How to put pillaging for gold back in the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• How to put pillaging for gold back in the game

Rather than using the old pillage formula i think gold should be treated as a resources in a pillage. so each gold pillage equals one spot on the cargo ship. inorder to prevent all your gold from being pillage i think that it should be protected by the ware house. maybe for every level ware house you have that can equal 1k protection. even though gold will be protected by the ware house there will be no limit to the ammount you can keep
  • I'm all for the ability to putting pillage gold back into the game, small players and inactives have crazy amounts of gold and its slowing down the market and trade in all regions. Using trade ships to pillage gold or resources is a smart move. Having the warehouse protect a certain amount of gold is another smart move, but protecting only 1k gold is way to low. 10k minimum should be saved per level.
  • I would like to see gold pillaging back. I like the protection idea. I also think that when a player goes inactive they should lose a portion of the protection and the amount of protection lost increases the longer they are inactive.
  • I too would like to se the return of pillaging gold. Regardless of the amount pillaged, I suggest the following mechanism: if a pillager wants to pillage gold, they just send troops with no extra cargo ships. To prevent chain attacks from abusing this, gold pillages take place instantaneously ('smash and grab') and are determined by the presence or absence of empty cargo ships at the end of the combat.
    Alpha: member of Pirate's Cove.
    Beta: Leader of United Galley Slaves.
  • 1k is too high. gold is shared among all you colonies which means the protection will have to be shared also if you have 1k protection in 6 colonies all with level 20 ware house ur protecting 120k gold so instead the number would have to be low. how about 50 gold under the same conditions in my example 50 gold protection will provide 6k protection of gold
  • lowgen0 wrote:

1k is too high. gold is shared among all you colonies which means the protection will have to be shared also if you have 1k protection in 6 colonies all with level 20 ware house ur protecting 120k gold so instead the number would have to be low. how about 50 gold under the same conditions in my example 50 gold protection will provide 6k protection of gold
    I forgot about that, total slip up. i guess 10k per level would be too high :P
  • Lowgen0 - I really like this idea of yours but there are a couple of alterations I'd suggest

You recommend the treatment of gold as a resource like any other.

I would suggest that 10 gold = 1 resource for the purpose of space on a vessel (which is not difficult to program)

In doing so a player could theoretically pillage 10x the amount of pure gold as he or she can pillage resources BUT similarly 10x the quantity of gold is protected in the warehouse.

- - -

It has already been suggested that the resource protection boundaries need raising to reflect new circumstances.

Let us, for the sake of argument, presume it is raised to protect 200 units of resources per level and let us presume a standard level 20 warehouse for context.

200x 20 = 4,000 units of resource protected, 160,000 max capacity.

This would mean 40,000 units of gold protected and 1,600,000 max gold capacity, due to 10 units being equivalent to one unit of resource.

- - -

A problem of this variant is that gold gets capped to the warehouse level and towns with upkeep deficits would need topping up.

GAME FORGE!
    Please reconsider your permanent ban practices!

:!: Contribute to & Vote on: :!:
    (Suggestion: The lit match has been dropped. Its too late now... :thumbdown: )
  • I agree that there has to be a way to put gold pillaging back into the game. What I am finding is that we are now able to have lvl 25+ walls and say your town can maintain an army of 6k and you go to attack. You really can only attack people of 2-3k gen score because of walls and then the moving of your troops cost you youyr gold. With the increased production in mines and mills the trading post has almost become a thing of the past. No one really buys anymore and following simple supply and demand rules.. supply is high so you get almost nothing in return for your goods.

This game had been tweaked to enhance the pillaging aspect and the military was balanced out but what ended up happening is they turned this game from a Civilization style of game into a SimCity style of game where you want no army and just build. For some this is fine but for those who have played for over a year and were sold on the idea of wars etc this is not good.

There are many smaller players around me accusing me of being a bully but I can't attack someoen my strength anymore as it chews up all my gold and the resources I pillage are the same. I think that there must be a way to prevent the wave attacking to get multiple grabs of gold. I think just one grab per CR no matter if you added more troops to the bunch.

IF the developers don't add gold pillaging then they need to put back the mills and mines to production levels from before. This way guys who get pillaged because they want no army and collect gold will buy stuff in the trading post.

Maybe you could use ambrosia to trade goods at the trader for gold instead of just trading them for other goods.

The last suggestion on the gold thing would be to allow a cooperative within your alliance. I think in a true alliance you'd have some players that are geared to certain tasks. Some might be gold earners and other are warriors/pillagers. You should be allowed to sell within your alliance at what price you want or have a way to transfer goods or gold without getting pushing. In times of war the larger players in an alliance build their large armies to protect the whole alliance so why could they not get financial support from within the alliance. Part of being in an alliance is to have the support of each other and this is just support
  • James Cauchi wrote:

I would suggest that 10 gold = 1 resource for the purpose of space on a vessel (which is not difficult to program)

In doing so a player could theoretically pillage 10x the amount of pure gold as he or she can pillage resources BUT similarly 10x the quantity of gold is protected in the warehouse.

I was acctually thinking that when i was creating the post but i think the reason gold pillage was taken out because people got too much gold. so inorder for people to not get as much as before i put 1 gold 1 space but. i do agree though because gold is probably takes up less room than resources in reality

James Cauchi wrote:

It has already been suggested that the resource protection boundaries need raising to reflect new circumstances.

Let us, for the sake of argument, presume it is raised to protect 200 units of resources per level and let us presume a standard level 20 warehouse for context.

200x 20 = 4,000 units of resource protected, 160,000 max capacity.

This would mean 40,000 units of gold protected and 1,600,000 max gold capacity, due to 10 units being equivalent to one unit of resource.

200 wont work because you have to remeber gold is universal in your town which means protection must be universaL. anything greater than 100 would be to high i even hesitate on 100 because if a player is advance they more than likely will have 2 high leveled warehouse protecting a humge amount of thier gold which means the strong can just get stronger

James Cauchi wrote:

A problem of this variant is that gold gets capped to the warehouse level and towns with upkeep deficits would need topping up.

Theres no limit to the ammount of gold you can store only a limit on the protected ammount.
  • Gold Hoarders devalue the price of goods, so yes we should bring back same form of gold looting. I believe it should be more like 500 gold equals the size of one good for ship storage, and warehouses or maybe even better the town hall level, to represent a bank having gold in the form of loans out to people and therefore not lootable, should protect 10,000 gold per level so that it would only be looted when someone has more than that amount of gold.

If you count 500 gold as one good to determine loot distribution it will also limit greatly gold looting on those with lots of goods and only a few hundred thousand gold above the protected amount. For example if 500 gold equals one good, then 500,000 lootable gold would be the same as 1,000 goods lootable and if there total lootable of the regular goods are 99,000 in the city than only 1% of that 1,000 gold gets looted if enough ships sent or 10 good size x 500 gold which equals 5,000 gold. If that same person has 5 million gold lootable then it would be the same as 10,000 goods in the town and if there are 90,000 regular goods then 10% of that 10,000 good size of gold would the gold loot portion or 1,000 good size x 500 gold equals 500,000 gold. It would really penalize the gold hoarders but not hurt those with a few hundred thousand above protection as long as they have goods to loot.

You should also cap the total lootable gold as the total gold divided by the number of cities as not all the gold will be in that city so the most a person with 10 million gold could lose is 2 million minus the protected amount if they have 5 cities and no goods in the town. If that person with 10 million gold had a level 20 town hall protecting 10,000 gold that would be 2 million minus 200,000 so total lootable would be 1,800,000 if no goods in the town, and use that 1,800,000 as determining good size lootable or the equivalent of 3,600 good size for calculating loot distribution amongst all other goods so if there are other goods it would be alot less gold.

A simple way of representing it would be showing gold chests representing 500 gold in the warehouse and make each town have the total gold divided by the number of towns divided by 500. So the guy with 10 million gold and 5 cities would have 2 million in each city or 4,000 gold chests, with the town hall protecting 20 gold chests per level (or warehouse if its too hard to code it as town hall protecting). Someone with only 1 million gold and 5 cities would have only 400 gold chests shown in each cities warehouse.
  • I don't think this will work at all well whilst gold is still a shared (amongst towns) resource. How will you determine how much gold is allowed to be taken? I see several options:

1) Allow as much gold to be taken as you like, regardless of which town you pillage, as if it were another resource (or with a scale factor: 5x, 10x or something).
    2) Use the town hall level / warehouse level as some way of capping the amount that can be taken but still treat it as any other resource.
    3) The pre-0.3 way based on town hall level.
    4) Some other method?

Now for the problems with these:

1) People will hunt for new towns of players with lots of gold. When I plant a new town, I shouldn't need to have a huge defense straight away (and even if I do manage to send in troops early on, I can't get a high wall straight away), but with this method a new town can be pillaged for as much gold as any other town.

2) This somewhat alleviates the problem of (1), but brings up some other questions:
    (a) If based on the warehouse - what happens if I have more gold than the sum of the capacatiy of my warehouses? Is this allowed?
    (b) In either case, what's the real-world analogy for this cap. Surely it makes sense to say - you can take as much gold (or other resources) as you can carry, and as exists in the town. So the cap would have to represent the amount of gold in the town. Pre-0.3 behaviour is a bit like saying "we'll make the amount you keep relative to the town hall level," but this didn't fully distribute gold (you couldn't take all of my gold by pillaging all my towns as you can other resources). Maybe you'd need a ratio of town_hall_level : sum_of_all_levels so every piece of gold was somewhere.
    (c) In the case of (b), why should this value be automatic? Why not just let me distribute gold as I see fit, as I would with all my other resources? (And I've just realised that gold would teleport from one place to the next after a pillage, hehe :p)

3) Well, again there's the issue of this just being an arbitrary restriction (see 2(b) above), and there's also the problem of waving (which to me seemed completely against the spirit of the bashing rule, and I don't understand why it was allowed at all).

In all these cases there's also the issue outlined in 2(c) of "why should the amount of gold someone can pillage be determined automatically?" I might have, for example, several towns which I use purely for gathering resources (except when building an expensive structure) and ship everything out during the day, so don't bother with much defense. Why in these towns should I be forced to spread my defense, just to protect gold, that I wouldn't store there as a real leader anyway???

The only solution I can see to this to make it work, is if gold becomes just another resource, with possibly warehouse limits, but certainly being able to move it about like any other resource.
  • no simply ...

there is not one thing put forward here that can real solve these without makeing even more problems. the gol system now inplace help protect noobs ( if used right ) lets players have some safe place to put something they have ....

i enjoyed gold loot as much as you all realy i did but the system had to change with all the stuff THAT will becomeing out in time.

make gold lootable would do even more damage to the trade as it is now ...

so no its sould not happen MAYBE if some of the new stuff down the line changes the way the game is played..maybe but right now NO!
  • Hermiod wrote:

(a) If based on the warehouse - what happens if I have more gold than the sum of the capacatiy of my warehouses? Is this allowed?
    (b) In either case, what's the real-world analogy for this cap. Surely it makes sense to say - you can take as much gold (or other resources) as you can carry, and as exists in the town. So the cap would have to represent the amount of gold in the town. Pre-0.3 behaviour is a bit like saying "we'll make the amount you keep relative to the town hall level," but this didn't fully distribute gold (you couldn't take all of my gold by pillaging all my towns as you can other resources). Maybe you'd need a ratio of town_hall_level : sum_of_all_levels so every piece of gold was somewhere.
    (c) In the case of (b), why should this value be automatic? Why not just let me distribute gold as I see fit, as I would with all my other resources? (And I've just realised that gold would teleport from one place to the next after a pillage, hehe :p)

In regards to point (a) there will be no limit on how much gold you can store the only limit is how much gold is protected.
    In regards to point (b) the gold system wouldnt make sense along with other things like the trade ship system. because this is a game you get to bend reality were you see fit for convience. as for making a ratio comparable to your town hall im split between this. at one point i fully agree with it but then again people wil use this to turtle them self in the game. In epsilon the player with the most gold has all level 1 town halls. he did this in the preivous version inorder to protect against gold pillage. now that 3.0 has come he is comfortably first place with 99,999,999 gold with second place at about 23 mill. so if a ratio or formula is made it must some how protect noobs but then again not protect people who turtle them self

naydew wrote:

he gol system now inplace help protect noobs ( if used right ) lets players have some safe place to put something they have ....

how does it protect noobs? if you are in a deserted area you wont be able to buy resources often so gold is just sitting there accumulating

naydew wrote:

make gold lootable would do even more damage to the trade as it is now ...

how would this damage the markets?
  • In epsilon the player with the most gold has all level 1 town halls. he did this in the preivous version inorder to protect against gold pillage. now that 3.0 has come he is comfortably first place with 99,999,999 gold with second place at about 23 mill. so if a ratio or formula is made it must some how protect noobs but then again not protect people who turtle them self

That player is a cheater who is hoarding gold for the purpose of buying high priced goods from his main account to feed himself free gold, but he can not be proven as a cheater since he must use different IP address for each account. There is absolutely no other reason for a person to continuously log into an account with level 1 towns and all the citizens earning gold, week after week for near a year, there can not possibly be any enjoyment to playing that way.
  • how to use it as noob protection is simple save up you money buy cargoships and get new techs. if you make gold raidable there simply no way a higher level person could not take eveything somone ouns unless they use the superstore .

if the noob in a bad area they can save up there coin buy the ship get the tech to move from the area .. takes some brains and time but can be done

how would takeing million of gold from inactive players and pushing it into a systm where noone spend it the right way .... simple look at the USA economic right now ..... you think a few 1000 game are going to do thing any diffant ? there going go and buy hotrod cargoships and pad there Palaces with gold wallpaper . that money will not move into the trade system ontill eveyone has 160 cargoship AND you know Ikariam would have to raise the price of them to counter all the new gold ..... piff if you think its messed up now throwning more money at it does not help
  • lowgen0 wrote:

In regards to point (a) there will be no limit on how much gold you can store the only limit is how much gold is protected.
    In regards to point (b) the gold system wouldnt make sense along with other things like the trade ship system. because this is a game you get to bend reality were you see fit for convience. as for making a ratio comparable to your town hall im split between this. at one point i fully agree with it but then again people wil use this to turtle them self in the game. In epsilon the player with the most gold has all level 1 town halls. he did this in the preivous version inorder to protect against gold pillage. now that 3.0 has come he is comfortably first place with 99,999,999 gold with second place at about 23 mill. so if a ratio or formula is made it must some how protect noobs but then again not protect people who turtle them self.

Yeah, I realise it doesn't need to be entirely grounded in reality, the strange gold pillage formula in pre-0.3 just seemed well, weird to me, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, point (b) was intended more as a warm-up to point (c) and the follow-up:

Hermiod wrote:

In all these cases there's also the issue outlined in 2(c) of "why should the amount of gold someone can pillage be determined automatically?" I might have, for example, several towns which I use purely for gathering resources (except when building an expensive structure) and ship everything out during the day, so don't bother with much defense. Why in these towns should I be forced to spread my defense, just to protect gold, that I wouldn't store there as a real leader anyway???

I don't want to be forced to 'protect' gold in a town where I wouldn't actually store much gold if I had the choice. I got screwed over by this just before 0.3 came in - I was stockpiling gold (trade ships were going to be a lot cheaper) and quickly building my newest town's town hall up (town hall's got a lot more expensive). Unfortunately, with my town hall at about level 22, and pretty much no other infrastructure to speak of (well, I had a bit of a wall and low level tavern / port + warehouse of course), someone decided to pillage that town. I'd completely ignored putting any troops there (well, a few slingers at best), as I didn't have resources to protect (and certainly wasn't using any gold there).