How to put pillaging for gold back in the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Dear users,

please note that we have a new forum now. You'll find it here.

The old forum is set to read-only mode now.

Your Ikariam Team

• Shoebop wrote:

LitleMaria wrote:

I'm sure someone has mentioned these suggestions, but I don't feel like reading all the posts. my ideas:

*have the option to pillage for gold and/ or goods. if you chose both, you'd get less of each than pillaging for a single thing.

* to pillage for gold, there would have to be a new troop to be built in the barracks or even in the hideout - THIEF - . The amount of gold you got would depend on how many thieves you sent. make it a bit harder to make thieves than regular troops (more resources)

* as for the market, there should be a minimum price to buy or sell. In my opinion, the market is all screwed up....it needs total fixing.

those are a few idea, I'm sure I'll have more, but someone else will probably say it first
    I like the idea.But Thief should have upgrades too.To take more gold with him.

There could be levels of THIEF, like pickpocket, apprentice, master...something like that, or just have upgrades available like the workshop does for troops and ships. I think my original idea to require more THIEVES to pillage more gold is the best because it's simple and by requiring alot of resources to train (make) thieves, it would limit how much gold could be pillaged at a time without the silly formulas.

Should you get a new occupation you'll need something to combat it. What's to stop the thieves??

I agree with bringing back the gold pillaging, or at least making it possible to pillage inactives. It's not like they'll miss it. :rolleyes:
    Option to choose which to loot from gold or resources is great. :thumbup:

As for protection I believe it's better to keep it the way it was before- no protection.
    Hoarding gold should be an invitation for an attack. If there was a safety net players will concentrate on having that to protected their gold and you'll walk away with next to nothing then.
  • YS2406 wrote:

Should you get a new occupation you'll need something to combat it. What's to stop the thieves??

I agree with bringing back the gold pillaging, or at least making it possible to pillage inactives. It's not like they'll miss it. :rolleyes:
    Option to choose which to loot from gold or resources is great. :thumbup:
    Possibly the spies in the town. When spies aren't on a mission they are supposed to be working in the defense of the town so why not work in the defense to kill THIEVES? I say have the THIEVES set up similar to spies and how they are created, But charge more resources, maybe to create a spy per level of hideout.

YS2406 wrote:

As for protection I believe it's better to keep it the way it was before- no protection.
    Hoarding gold should be an invitation for an attack. If there was a safety net players will concentrate on having that to protected their gold and you'll walk away with next to nothing then.
    Protection?
  • Dont forget to vote at the bottom right if you like the idea now time to reply

Thieveing would make the whole idea complicated and alot must be done to make the whole system. The onlything that has to be done for the formula i suggested is change the old formula and create a way to protect gold.

i suggested gold protection in order for people to have the ability to protect their gold from being wiped out completely(since gold would be pillaged the same way resources are currently pillaged.)

i like the idea of the ability to choose wheter to choose pillaging gold or resources but i think it would be best to pillage gold along with resources just to keep things simple.

another option aside from having gold protection be based off ware house level would be to base if off of your town hall level
    the amount protected could be 250 *(town hall level) so the higher your town the more gold is protected.

if there is an option to steal gold then i suggest that it be given to the spies i will go into more detail in the post in top rated suggestions ecpand the role of espionge
  • Gold pillaging is a bad idea because then high-level players could finance a very large army by pillaging gold from weaker players. No-gold-pillaging puts a cap on the largest practical army size for any single person, hence encourages cooperation
  • Since the new version took away the ability to pillage for gold, everything is stagnant. No one buys goods, goods are sold at really low prices. I can pillage a town and steel everything they have basically, but the gold is safe. The assignment for spies even has the option to check out how much gold they have- what good is that. I still maintain having a citizen - THIEF- could help in many aspects.

1. pillage for gold but keep it limited to a small amount. a real thief couldn't pillage 25,000+ pieces of gold in one swipe. That is why you would need more thieves for more gold pillaging. But thieves would not be so cheap to "make" as spies are. As for protecting from thieves, thats what spies could be used for. not only that, but this would encourage people to recall thier spies once they are done. I'm sure there are planty of people with spies just hanging out in a town. you would need that spy in your town to help fend off thieves. So essentially the spy would have a specific job in the defense instead of just "working in the defense".

2. The option to choose pillage for gold or resources or smaller amounts of both seems to have gotten positive feedback. glad I could suggest it.

3. It is important to have the option to pillage for gold. If you are concerned about a huge army, build one yourself. I think inthe current situation, although it's nice when I hit the jackpot, realistically, we can pillage too many resources. there needs to be a balance and definetely at least a small increase in the number of safe items in a warehouse. i have a level 17 warehouse and my amount of safe wood is only 2,820 and all other resources is 1410. thats silly
  • as the system is now large players only attack weak players near them because it isn't profitable to attack a large player. gold pillaging allows makes pillaging players near their level profitable. if someone continues to pillage weak players they arent going to change so the only thing to do would be to bring it to the attention of your world and maybe people will attack the person. dont forget i also suggested that there be protection on the ammount of gold you have. my intention was only to have it were you can pillage people with more gold than they need.

also i made another suggestion to increase the ammount of protected goods you can check that out and dont forget to vote
  • lowgen0 wrote:

as the system is now large players only attack weak players near them because it isn't profitable to attack a large player. gold pillaging allows makes pillaging players near their level profitable.

And now, if someone wants gold, they can just take it from a new player, because they can't stop production of gold *and* resources. When someone is turtling, they have to produce something. The new players will produce enough gold to keep the pillages profitable, and they will be targets forevermore.
  • Greenen72 wrote:

lowgen0 wrote:

as the system is now large players only attack weak players near them because it isn't profitable to attack a large player. gold pillaging allows makes pillaging players near their level profitable.

And now, if someone wants gold, they can just take it from a new player, because they can't stop production of gold *and* resources. When someone is turtling, they have to produce something. The new players will produce enough gold to keep the pillages profitable, and they will be targets forevermore.

They are already targets forever, so adding gold to pillages won't stop them from being hit. But bringing gold back into the game will fix the broken markets in every part of all the servers. 2.8 was much better then 3.0 for just about everything, 3.0 is one of the biggest screw ups ever. It was perfectly clear in the test server the new game would be broken, and they had months of data to prove this and they still brought it over to the main servers.
  • Warlord_ wrote:

They are already targets forever, so adding gold to pillages won't stop them from being hit. But bringing gold back into the game will fix the broken markets in every part of all the servers. 2.8 was much better then 3.0 for just about everything, 3.0 is one of the biggest screw ups ever. It was perfectly clear in the test server the new game would be broken, and they had months of data to prove this and they still brought it over to the main servers.
    I've been thinking about this and I disagree. It hasn't broken the game. It has just changed it. Everyone wants to run around thinking they can have a military that completely drains their own personal gold production to zero or below zero and then still be able to use the market. This is just a bit short-sighted. These players pillage a ton and then dump it all into the market, thinking they can make some gold that way. But they never turn around and produce their own gold and inject it into the system. Players who do have a lot of gold have a great option of buying from a really cheap market. The only players who complain about the market are the sellers. The buyers love it. I don't like the idea of bringing gold pillaging back because it just means that smaller players will serve to expand the military of larger players in even greater magnitudes. Bigger players will build larger and larger armies, and then will be forced into gold pillaging around them. You are only forcing players to pillage smaller ones.

I am a player that pillages heavily. What I bring in, I spend. I don't just pillage everything, I look for places where I can pillage what I need. I have found that I pillage more wine than I can possibly use, so I just stop producing my own, which gives me more gold to buy the super cheap luxury goods off the market.
  • Warlord_ wrote:

They are already targets forever, so adding gold to pillages won't stop them from being hit.

I disagree. The players who get pillaged for resources can simply stop production, and keep the resources below the safe level. Then the pillager will get bored and go away.
    Wait... I'll do scenarios :P

#1: A farmer with no military gets pillaged out of all their resources. They stop production, and build up their warehouses. They can slowly build up, and keep the pillager bored enough to make him leave, because the pillager can't get a profit.

#2: A farmer with no military gets pillaged out of all their resources. They stop production, and build up their warehouses. They can slowly build up, and keep farming gold. The pillager comes back, again and again, to get that gold. The player has no way to make the pillager bored, thus becomes a permanent target. Then when they get sick of the pillager, they send him spam filled with hate, and quit the game.
  • first cutboy44 you cant just put hello in a post or the mods will warn you for spam so if you can edit your post and add to it

Greenen72 wrote:

I disagree. The players who get pillaged for resources can simply stop production, and keep the resources below the safe level.

what kind of game is that? if you arent getting resource then you cant grow

Greenen72 wrote:

Then the pillager will get bored and go away.

if the pillager can get bored dont you think a new player can get bored also and leave the game? only a person who has played this game before could really stand cutting production but as for a new player they may just quit playing right away

if your worried that players will be attacked then you can suggest a way for gold to be protected. when i made this post my intention was for people with exceive amounts of gold to be pillaged. in reality you dont need more than 100k gold. if 100k protection was the only amount of gold protected for example you can have about 74 trade ships and any size army you want. because 3.0 came people have had gold stashed away with nothing much to spend it on.

(even simplier than my other ideas for protection would be to have just a set amount of protected gold that cant be changed i suggest thst only 30k be protected at this ammount you can have a good army and at least 39 ships also most people may have more than this ammount)

(semi unrelated comment on the market)the only reason the market crashed was because people dropped prices thinking that no one need the extra resources. if you want to fix the market just tell people around you to sell higher
  • lowgen0 wrote:

Greenen72 wrote:

I disagree. The players who get pillaged for resources can simply stop production, and keep the resources below the safe level.

Nor can you grow if someone takes away all your resources. Might as well just sit there and wait it out rather than let the person making your life miserable happy.

And I didn't mean stop production. I mean warehouse spamming, and keeping under about 1k, a good sounding level for a warehouse spam.
  • Greenen72 wrote:

lowgen0 wrote:

Greenen72 wrote:

Nor can you grow if someone takes away all your resources. Might as well just sit there and wait it out rather than let the person making your life miserable happy.

And I didn't mean stop production. I mean warehouse spamming, and keeping under about 1k, a good sounding level for a warehouse spam.

But keeping gold pillage out of the game isnt protecting your resource becase as soon as you buy them back then they will be pillaged again. As for waiting it sounds good when you write it down but when you actually do it thats a whole new story.

Warehouse only protect 80 resorces there are only 11 places. in order to protect 800 resources you need 10 warehouse or 1 level 10 warehouse. having resources at 1k wont help you grow much. slow growth does not sound fun to me

if you believe that newbs will be targeted with gold pillaging then you can think of a way that will protect them. but if you think about it as long as noobs are close by and are a quick profit they will be targeted and attacked.
  • lowgen0 wrote:

Warehouse only protect 80 resorces there are only 11 places. in order to protect 800 resources you need 10 warehouse or 1 level 10 warehouse. having resources at 1k wont help you grow much. slow growth does not sound fun to me

If slow growth sounds bad to you, imagine no growth.
  • so let see what we have so far and how it can go wroge

treating as a resource = limiting space in each town most towns would have to base there defend,production, and tech off just would much the pop can be taxed . even if you let unlimited storeage of gold you would have to build a new building Vault to protect ( if you think the GOs would do anything less your wroge ) and you would lose a build slot something most player are yell for more of . now its you made it a set MAX loot vs a set MAX protech player will simply player the rulelawers game onitll they get the min/max so if a size 20 town can have say 80k looted and you warehouse protects 1 k per level well guess how hard it is from someone just starting and how easyer it is for someone going for there 9th level palace ? the game is not goign to get noob protecting becuse again its rulelawered protecting players for set time or ontill they reach some set points can be too easy to misuse.

new unit Thief = there no good way to count this just like rams now the defender has EVEYTHING to lose and the attacker has odd in his side and what happen when player team up ? even if Thieves are wimps and die easy you just send more of them most of the time your attack can be payed for by the defender ... how is that fair ?

gold suppy removed it from HighScore = .... well you got me there this sould be done or changed to cargoship , tech , weapon and army upgrades and donations to wonders ... you sould only know how much gold someone has by sping ... you got me on this one

pillageing inactive players = bring in anymore money then what a player can right not would only raise the cost of tradeships or.and lower how much you get from taxing you pop .... ballanceing is the real problem even if you get gold from a some who does not what to play any more you STILL getting more gold the is the set base it does not matter where you get it from ....

safe gold as noob protection = i fould this vary useful when i started on the test surver and if you think life can be hard on a normal surver ..iff there basicly no rules there ... haveing gold unlooted let me do something as the attacker where getting no loot and just kept upping my warehouse level and academy for more tech it worked GREAT but old time player could not understand that the game had changed and now from the safely of my turtle shell im the attacker clearing town and take back my stuff . like a butterfly with fangs . the system works fine but if you think its wroge its not what a game with less think and more action well im sure i can find you a link to WoW ....

Over all we have no clue whats comeing in patchs to come maybe they removed gold pillageing to set up some other new system that not come out yet . over all i find things work just great how they are i have my 160 cargoships i have good size army . max production , and even working on getter future techs something i said i wold even do .... this system works fine you just need to max it out and be willing to play the game as it is .
  • naydew wrote:

new unit Thief = there no good way to count this just like rams now the defender has EVEYTHING to lose and the attacker has odd in his side and what happen when player team up ? even if Thieves are wimps and die easy you just send more of them most of the time your attack can be payed for by the defender ... how is that fair ?

Since this was my idea (THIEF), and I believe no one else thought of it before me, I'll ellaborate. Only the original attacker can use the thief, even if additional attackers send in thieves they would get nothing. If the defender doesn't want to be pillaged for gold, make sure you win the battle. Also as I have stated, the spy that is supposedly working in defense of the town would be the one to counter the thief. you couldn't have a rediculous amount of thieves, only 1 per level of the hideout. And the amount a thief could steal would be small, cause pockets aren't very big. For instance. lets say a thief can steel up to 5,000 gold per thief. If I sent in 5 thieves to a town that would be a max of 25,000 gold I could steal, but my thieves may get killed because the hideout in the town may be large (high upgrade). If I tried to send a spy into the same town and the percent that it might get caught was 5% then there would be a 5% chance my thief would get killed. If there was a 75% chance my thief would get caught, then 75% chance my thieves would die. Something like that. I'm no programmer, but there has to be an easy way to put pillaging back in, but keep it fair. Again, just as prior to version 3.0, if you don't want to lose your gold don't lose. It's the same as resources now. If you want to keep your stuff, don't hoard it and don't lose your battle. It's all about strategy!
  • Bring It Back Please!!!

After being in a war in v3.0, i can say that taking the gold pillaging away has made going to war extremely costly and no fun whatsoever. Established players don't care about resources or simply move them around during war. Without the ability to pillage gold, there is no incentive whatsoever to leave troops guarding your town. This means that people simply run when they see an attack coming. In prior versions the bashing rule protected players sufficiently outside of war time; and when war came, there was big incentive to protect your towns. It required much more strategy and discouraged the hide and seek approach.

Please bring gold pillaging back. I don't care what form, but it was fine the way it was.